Audio-gd NFB-28
Mar 17, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #931 of 2,104
  The NFB 28 is a fantastic all in one unit for the price, I have tried at least a dozen dacs and amps this past year and have settled on this unit for as long as it will last me. It is top notch for the price. SE output sounds great, decent power and good speed and clarity. However, my modded he-560s out of the balanced 4pin xlr sounds just that bit more detail, speed, and obviously more power at the lower impedances such as the Hifiman series.

Are you still rocking your NFB28 Zach, and how have you been man

Sorry missed this Whiskey - I'm well!  I ended up selling the NFB-28 and getting a Reference 10.32.  I really love it, but still miss the NFB-28 at times.  Partly because the REF 10 is hard to carry around, with those power supplies it's heavy as heck!  I do love that Audio GD sig though and the Ref 10 and 28 both share many similar characteristics especially in the amp section.  I love the "house gd" sound.  Hope all is well with you.  =)

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 18, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #939 of 2,104
  Meh, I see no problem. Just keep one finger on the power switch 
L3000.gif

I got too impatient waiting for the replacement switches to arrive, so:

The new switch just arrived; it'll be going in during the next week or two.

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #940 of 2,104

I got too impatient waiting for the replacement switches to arrive, so:

The new switch just arrived; it'll be going in during the next week or two.

Wow what headphone are you using at high gain 26?  I run my HE-560 at low gain 12-15ish.

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #942 of 2,104
I am fairly new to Head-fi as far as posting on here.... But have been reading posts for years. Kind of lurking around if you will. But I'll be placing an order for the Audio-NG NFB-28 tomorrow evening. It will be added to my collection of gear and I'm actually most excited for this piece. I will mainly be using it as my main source for my PC and powering my HifiMan HE-560's.
I'm curious to hear thoughts on those with these 560's and the NFB28.  
So far, Kingwa has been very helpful and communicative in answering all my questions for the unit I'll be purchasing.
I've opted to get the NFB-28 with the remote control, the TCXO upgrades and thedisplay going dark after 7 seconds. It seems the blue light display looks rediculously bright IMHO... would be nice to have a dimming option too? just a thought.

I was leaning towards getting a Schiit Mjolner and Schiit Gungnir, but this NFB-28 seems like a value in my opinion. Thoughts? Anyone who can compare these?

I will post again once I receive my unit and am able to properly review and test it with my other gear.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #943 of 2,104
  I am fairly new to Head-fi as far as posting on here.... But have been reading posts for years. Kind of lurking around if you will. But I'll be placing an order for the Audio-NG NFB-28 tomorrow evening. It will be added to my collection of gear and I'm actually most excited for this piece. I will mainly be using it as my main source for my PC and powering my HifiMan HE-560's.
I'm curious to hear thoughts on those with these 560's and the NFB28.  
So far, Kingwa has been very helpful and communicative in answering all my questions for the unit I'll be purchasing.
I've opted to get the NFB-28 with the remote control, the TCXO upgrades and thedisplay going dark after 7 seconds. It seems the blue light display looks rediculously bright IMHO... would be nice to have a dimming option too? just a thought.

I was leaning towards getting a Schiit Mjolner and Schiit Gungnir, but this NFB-28 seems like a value in my opinion. Thoughts? Anyone who can compare these?

I will post again once I receive my unit and am able to properly review and test it with my other gear.

If you search back in the thread for some of my recent posts, I've been posting a lot about that combo.  In short, I'm extremely pleased with the NFB-28 and HE-560, moreso than with any other gear combination I've owned.  @conquerator2 used the HE-560 with the Gungnir and found the DAC didn't pair to his liking; he preferred his old Audio-GD with Sabre DAC (different unit but similar sound).

Mar 20, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #944 of 2,104
If you search back in the thread for some of my recent posts, I've been posting a lot about that combo.  In short, I'm extremely pleased with the NFB-28 and HE-560, moreso than with any other gear combination I've owned.  @conquerator2
 used the HE-560 with the Gungnir and found the DAC didn't pair to his liking; he preferred his old Audio-GD with Sabre DAC (different unit but similar sound).

The Gungnir is an outstanding DAC; Schiit really knows what they are doing when making DACs IMO, but so it seems does Audio-GD. I would love to roll between both if I could.

The Mjolnir has very little appeal to me, by contrast to the Gungnir, which is indeed the biggest component upgrade bar headphones to my modest chain thus far.

I think going with the NFB-28 over the balanced Schiit stack was a sensible choice because the Mjolnir seems to be too aggressive by most accounts. With that said, I have never heard it and need to withhold critiquing it for now. As an owner of a Lyr for over a year, though, I feel I understand the aggressive house sound that tends to be attributed to some (not all) of Schiit's amps, not its DACs.

I'm still puzzling over why to go for the NFB-28 over the NFB-29, though, if all my cables all SE. Would there be a sonic improvement? I wish I could try both side by side.

Mar 20, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #945 of 2,104
The Gungnir is an outstanding DAC; Schiit really knows what they are doing when making DACs IMO, but so it seems does Audio-GD. I would love to roll between both if I could.

The Mjolnir has very little appeal to me, by contrast to the Gungnir, which is indeed the biggest component upgrade bar headphones to my modest chain thus far.

I think going with the NFB-28 over the balanced Schiit stack was a sensible choice because the Mjolnir seems to be too aggressive by most accounts. With that said, I have never heard it and need to withhold critiquing it for now. As an owner of a Lyr for over a year, though, I feel I understand the aggressive house sound that tends to be attributed to some (not all) of Schiit's amps, not its DACs.

I'm still puzzling over why to go for the NFB-28 over the NFB-29, though, if all my cables all SE. Would there be a sonic improvement? I wish I could try both side by side.

If all your cables are SE, than there's no point. You may as well go for the NFB-29. However, the NFB-28's SE out put is not bad at all and is just really half the power of the balanced XLR output.

By getting the NFB-28, you're future proofing whether or not you want to go the balanced route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back