Audio-gd NFB-28
Feb 25, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #901 of 2,104
I don't know if noise floor is a "problem" per se, but who wouldn't like a lower noise floor?  :-D

Mar 4, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #903 of 2,104
Any updates on your unit, now that you have spent some more time running it balanced?

Well I haven't worked on solving the optical input issue I was having because, honestly, I'm enjoying listening to it so dang much.  This unit combined with my HE-560 sounds fantastic.  I don't know what to say other than that this is the best setup I've owned to date.

For the first time I feel no urge to upgrade.  

For the first time since I got my Q701 (the first headphones I got after joining Head-fi), I went back to my box o' CD's and started ripping more FLAC's because it just sounds so good that I want to hear ALL my music in the best quality possible.

I've been exploring old music I don't listen to any more and new music (some in completely new genres) just to hear how good it sounds.

Perhaps, once I spoil myself at Canjam listening to thing like the Yggrassil, I'll realize that I have even more room to improve.  But for now, I'm beyond content.  I have no problem recommending the setup whole-heartedly.  

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #905 of 2,104
Mar 4, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #906 of 2,104
What can I say, sometimes the gear just steps out of the way and lets the music send you places.  :)

And that's how it should be IMO.

Mar 5, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #908 of 2,104
Hi,
Someone know what is the use of "DSD CTR" input (output?) in the rear panel, in the 2015 model ?

It used to output DSD over HDMI/I2S. USB has it built in.

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #909 of 2,104
Well I haven't worked on solving the optical input issue I was having because, honestly, I'm enjoying listening to it so dang much.  This unit combined with my HE-560 sounds fantastic.  I don't know what to say other than that this is the best setup I've owned to date.

For the first time I feel no urge to upgrade.  

For the first time since I got my Q701 (the first headphones I got after joining Head-fi), I went back to my box o' CD's and started ripping more FLAC's because it just sounds so good that I want to hear ALL my music in the best quality possible.

I've been exploring old music I don't listen to any more and new music (some in completely new genres) just to hear how good it sounds.

Perhaps, once I spoil myself at Canjam listening to thing like the Yggrassil, I'll realize that I have even more room to improve.  But for now, I'm beyond content.  I have no problem recommending the setup whole-heartedly.  

I am happy to hear you are enjoying your new setup. Your impressions could not be more positive. I look forward to hearing more as you spend even more time with the unit and after you visit canjam. I am very much torn between this, the NFB-29, Meier Corda Classic, Lake People G109, and Gustard H10 for a nice solid state setup.

How does the amp hold up without the dac? Do you have another dac on hand to isolate the components for analysis?

A thanks again!

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #911 of 2,104
I am happy to hear you are enjoying your new setup. Your impressions could not be more positive. I look forward to hearing more as you spend even more time with the unit and after you visit canjam. I am very much torn between this, the NFB-29, Meier Corda Classic, Lake People G109, and Gustard H10 for a nice solid state setup.

How does the amp hold up without the dac? Do you have another dac on hand to isolate the components for analysis?

A thanks again!

Actually, I feel like the amp holds up quite well.  Even just using the SE output, there was a notable improvement in soundstage and overall presence from my old amp (NFB-15.32 built-in amp), which I found to be pretty on par with my old Matrix M-Stage.  I also noted similar results when comparing the amp stage to the Geek Out SE (which uses the GO 1000's amp), though obviously there's an even bigger difference in output there.

Obviously, going to the balanced output gives even more gains.

Those are some nice amps you listed.  What DAC would you use them with, if you don't get the A-GD?  I was also considering the Gustard at one point.  If I hadn't been set on going balanced with my next DAC and Amp, I probably would have gotten that one.  Of course, knowing what I know now, I might just get the NFB-29.  It's really hard to beat the value of the A-GD options.  I just don't see any other combination of DAC's and Amps that are on par for the price.

I haven't heard enough high end DAC's and Amps to back up this next statement, but I do have a theory:  like with all the headphones I've tried in the $200ish range, I think that if you've done all the research and now you're agonizing over small differences, you should just pick one and get it.  I'm sure you'll be pleased with any of the ones you get, especially if you're not A/B'ing directly with the other choices.  (And if you are A/B'ing, it shouldn't be a difficult choice anyways.)

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #912 of 2,104
Mar 5, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #913 of 2,104
OK, thanks
If I well understood, it's just for connecting the DAC to DI-2014 interface (and only for that) to give some instructions in order to avoid the pops when switching DSD/PCM
Is it right ?

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #914 of 2,104
OK, thanks
If I well understood, it's just for connecting the DAC to DI-2014 interface (and only for that) to give some instructions in order to avoid the pops when switching DSD/PCM
Is it right ?

I am not sure. Perhaps the DI requires the connection to pass DSD over I2S. I am not sure as I have not tested it.
But yes, the only device I think it is meant for is the DI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back