Audio-gd NFB-28
Mar 20, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #946 of 2,104
The Gungnir is an outstanding DAC; Schiit really knows what they are doing when making DACs IMO, but so it seems does Audio-GD. I would love to roll between both if I could.

The Mjolnir has very little appeal to me, by contrast to the Gungnir, which is indeed the biggest component upgrade bar headphones to my modest chain thus far.

I think going with the NFB-28 over the balanced Schiit stack was a sensible choice because the Mjolnir seems to be too aggressive by most accounts. With that said, I have never heard it and need to withhold critiquing it for now. As an owner of a Lyr for over a year, though, I feel I understand the aggressive house sound that tends to be attributed to some (not all) of Schiit's amps, not its DACs.

I'm still puzzling over why to go for the NFB-28 over the NFB-29, though, if all my cables all SE. Would there be a sonic improvement? I wish I could try both side by side.

I proudly own an NFB29 since all my cables are SE. I had the same question before going ahead with the SE version of the NFB and Kingwa left it quite clear for me. If you're going to use mainly with your existing cables, go SE. If you intend to change them balanced (add $ costs), go to the 28 version since both have more or less same power output.

Other forum colleagues in my home country that bought the NFB-28 a couple of years ago, report that the SE output is a bit "disappointing" to the balanced one and doesn't make justice to the possibilities of their Audio-gds...

Cheers.

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #947 of 2,104
I chose the NFB 28 simply because I also have an Lhlabs geekwave xDF 256 on order as well. It uses 3.5mm balanced outs like the hifiman style 3.5 balanced. I'm going to make an xlr 4 pin eidolic terrelium plug and add a female trrs inside of it and plug that into the audio-GD 28. I'm hoping to just keep all my stuff terminated with the 3.5mm hifiman style balanced setup. Why not... :)
I have one cable for sale in fact. It's a solid 6N silver cable, 6.5ft, 4core braided, PTFE coated, partially sleeved hifiman end and 3.5mm SE TRS.

I have two silver cables of the same type but am selling one. Looking for reasonable offers anyhow.
I simply can't justify 1500-1700 or whatever for a schiit stack when I can have something comparable for about 900ish. My thoughts anyways. I'm glad many people agree that the audio-gd 28 is a good choice. I'm excited to order today!
I have opted to get the display dark after 7 sec as the blue LEDs seem super crazy bright. Am I right? Also the remote(might as well), and txco upgrades.

Mar 20, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #948 of 2,104
At the end i decided to upgrade my dac and most probably i will get the Master 7 or NFB7. I don't use the headphone amplifier and i need a ''level up'' to match my hi-fi system.
If you are interested, later today i will create the announcement in the market for my NFB-28 (Shipment only in Europe).

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #949 of 2,104
I live in Washington/usa so I wouldn't be able anyhow. Sounds interesting! But I also want to support kingwa and buy a new one with warranty. otherwise I would be interested if was 115V and price was right. I'm paying somewhere around 900ish for the NFB-28 today.

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #950 of 2,104
Guys, seriously. Tell me please about build quality of nfb28. Is there any global problems with unit, like this:

Driver bugs, overheat or else.
I am realy interested to buy audio gd product. But it will bee disaster for my wallet if something go wrong

Mar 22, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #951 of 2,104
I will take many photos of it and give a thorough review when I receive my NFB 28

Mar 22, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #952 of 2,104
Mine's been working perfectly, and I've never had any troubles with the drivers after I figured out that I just need to plug the 28 into the same port every time. It's about a year old. Build quality is pretty dang solid, inside and out.

Mar 22, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #953 of 2,104
 Mine's been working perfectly, and I've never had any troubles with the drivers after I figured out that I just need to plug the 28 into the same port every time. It's about a year old. Build quality is pretty dang solid, inside and out.

Thanks.
Read here, that nfb28 is good with hifiman. Got mine HE500 only several days after store, and already love them with nad d1050. Now looking for more perfect match dac+amp. And seems it is here.

Ok, guys, and who knows the difference between 2014 unit and 2015 unit?

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #954 of 2,104
I have to ask this, as it is really bothering me....what is the "F" setting on the gain selection suppose to do? Does it mean fast or full or something?

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #956 of 2,104
My NFB-28 (The 2015 one) has three gain settings: low, high, and whatever F is. The manual never states what F is beyond "don't use this with d (or was it P?) or bad things will happen."

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #957 of 2,104
I just received my NFB 28 today! I'm scratching my head too! Wth is that explanation mean!? I'm confused. Don't use F with D or something? I don't know what F is. I'm only using input one as usb and both headphone outs. It doesn't seem to matter if I use H or L for my He-560's... The SE is kinda weak and maxes out on either easily. I'm waiting for my eidolic xlr' to arrive so I can re terminate my cables for balanced. I'm sure it will sound great then. It sounds good as SE and sure it will be much better as balanced.

So far, I like it... Have about an hour of use on it.

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #958 of 2,104
Balanced will only add another 6dB of volume.  That said, are you using some seriously low volume recordings or just like concert levels 24/7?

Also F is fixed mode.  As in when connected to another amp that has a volume control the 28 runs wide open.  Hence the warning that sending the full signal to an amp with no volume control... bad.  Potentially boom bad depending on the amp and speakers :wink:

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #959 of 2,104
  I have to ask this, as it is really bothering me....what is the "F" setting on the gain selection suppose to do? Does it mean fast or full or something?

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB282015/NFB282015EN_Use.htm

Since 3th. March 2015, the DAC/HP button setting to " D"  and Gain buttons setting to "F" at same time , the unit's RCA, XLR and ACSS outputs set to as DAC fixed output mode, output level is 2.5V on RCA, 5V on XLR, 2MA on ACSS .
If your amp had not volume control, please don't setting the DAC/HP to "D" and the Gain to "F " at same time.

If the early users want to had this function, can buy a MCU replace in the unit .

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #960 of 2,104
I just received my NFB 28 today! I'm scratching my head too! Wth is that explanation mean!? I'm confused. Don't use F with D or something? I don't know what F is. I'm only using input one as usb and both headphone outs. It doesn't seem to matter if I use H or L for my He-560's... The SE is kinda weak and maxes out on either easily. I'm waiting for my eidolic xlr' to arrive so I can re terminate my cables for balanced. I'm sure it will sound great then. It sounds good as SE and sure it will be much better as balanced.

So far, I like it... Have about an hour of use on it.

Uh, I listen to my HE-560 in balanced mode on low gain and usually 10-15 volume.  I have no idea how you're maxing it out, but you should really be careful of your hearing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back