Audio-gd NFB-28
Apr 27, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #256 of 2,104
Apr 27, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #261 of 2,104
Nice...I think I will wait till my budget meets the retail price...
blink.gif

May 7, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #263 of 2,104
  I have had it I think about two weeks, now, I LOVE It.  I got the bugs worked out (my end of course) the unit is everything I could have asked for.

I agree, I LOVE mine, too!  It has stunning SQ, and I don't think that you'll find a more versatile or higher-quality unit at its price point.  I was really impressed by the build quality.  And I think my jaw dropped the first time I connected my Beyerdynamic T1's and listened to Steph Johnson Trio's "Nature Girl" album (my new reference/test/demo album).  I ended up listening to the entire album twice...had to try it with the T1's connected both SE and balanced, haha.  Both were amazing, just more output and drive with the balanced connection.      

Unfortunately, I travel A LOT for my photography assignments and I'm finding that I rarely get a chance to use it.  
frown.gif
​   So I decided to try the new iBasso DX90 so I can listen more on the go, especially while flying.  Now, I just need some new IEMs...it's never-ending!  
tongue.gif

So if anyone is interested, I might be selling my NFB-28 to help fund an IEM purchase.  I just got this NFB-28 brand new from Audio-gd in mid-March (2014).  It has the TCXO USB upgrades so it works great with DSDs and all of my 24/192 tracks that I've thrown at it.  I also have 2 of the standard remote controls (one still sealed in the plastic).  The unit is in perfect cosmetic condition and I have the original packaging and accessory bits as well (circuit board jumpers, etc).  I know that I'll probably regret letting it go, but if I don't get to use it, I figure what's the point in keeping it?  I'm on the road these days more than I've been at home, so I think it's the right decision.  Time will tell, but I figure that I can always reorder it if I change my mind.

Now I'm going to go listen to it one more time while I'm home and have the chance!  
tongue.gif

-BB

***** UPDATE:  Just wanted to let everyone else know that my NFB-28 has been sold, so it is no longer available.  I appreciate all of the PMs and interest!  I kind of have seller's remorse now. 
triportsad.gif
  It is a fantastic unit and I will miss it.  At the same time, I'm looking forward to some new IEMs for my portable rig that I will get much more use out of!  

May 12, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #264 of 2,104
Hey Guys

I'm really tempted to pull the plug on one of these.  I currently have the NFB-11.32 which I use with my HE-500s and it sounds great.

The reason for the upgrade is I'm moving and looking getting some active speakers for the living room.  This box seems to tick all boxes regarding using it as a Headphone Amp, Balanced DAC & Preamp and the fact it also has a Line in, and half the price of anything else similar!

My concern is the comments made by gatorengineer64

Quote:
  1)  The click when volume is changed is very noticeable.  I am sure I will get used to it but its there and initially annoying but it was explained to me that this is necessary due to the superior sound performance of the unit and how it changes volume.

2)  DO NOT change sources on this unit with the phones on.  The blast of static you will get will be very well loud and static-ky.  Shouldn't be a problem long term as I plan on settling in on a single source to feed it.  but for day 1 and trouble identified below its an issue.

How loud is the click and the static, I'm concerned what this might sound like whilst connected to active speakers whilst using the NFB-28 as a preamp, has Kingwa made any responses to it? Will it be fixed, or is it unavoidable? 

Many thanks
M

May 12, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #265 of 2,104

How loud is the click and the static, I'm concerned what this might sound like whilst connected to active speakers whilst using the NFB-28 as a preamp, has Kingwa made any responses to it? Will it be fixed, or is it unavoidable? 

Many thanks
M

I personally found it to be not a problem. The little click, click as you change volume was at least on my unit - quite subtle an obviously only there for a second if your changing volume. Its just the relays working which is a superior attenuation than his older units ie better sound. 
So with actives or headphones, I had no issues. The unit is really stellar value for what it offers. 
Hope that helps. 

May 12, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #269 of 2,104

Many thanks
M

The "click" as mentioned by others are the internal relay and is audible from the unit itself and not from the headphone or any of the analog outputs (when it's used as a pre). 

Also, I change sources on it a lot and never get that "blast of static"?  Not sure what the original poster was referring to as I do cycle a lot to get from Input 1 (USB) to Input 5 (RCA in) to compare the nfb28 DAC vs many of my DAP's DAC lineout.  Never got any static issue.  

May 13, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #270 of 2,104
Thanks for the answers guys, I'd like to stick to the NFB-28 for it's balanced outputs.  

What active speakers have people run this with? I'm rather set on some Adam ARTist 6 Floorstanders

Users who are viewing this thread

Back