Audio-gd NFB-28
May 24, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #286 of 2,104
...I'm going to pick up my LCD-2.2f's soon, and I'll have to give better impressions then...

Hi, have you received your LCD-2? I'm interested in hearing in more in depth impressions on how the NFB-28 pairs with the LCD-2 fazor, since I'm considering to get the NFB-28 myself... The fazor model that I have sounds different from rev1 in terms of tonality (dark vs slightly bright)....

May 24, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #287 of 2,104
Try using "WASAPI (Event)" output instead of VIA.

tried WASAPI (event) : SPDIF interface (audio-gd) and DS, KS, WASAPI (push) as well but still no difference

Hmm. Try changing USB ports, preferably USB 2.0 and not shared with any other devices (see USB port section here), and re-install the Audio-GD drivers.

May 24, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #288 of 2,104
Hi, have you received your LCD-2? I'm interested in hearing in more in depth impressions on how the NFB-28 pairs with the LCD-2 fazor, since I'm considering to get the NFB-28 myself... The fazor model that I have sounds different from rev1 in terms of tonality (dark vs slightly bright)....

Yes I have... Here is a review I sent to Patrick Sutton at Nice Cans, where I first auditioned LCD-2.2's (non-Fazor) off a Benchmark DAC1. The only other audio I have to compare to is onboard and the headphone out of a NAD 356BEE with DAC module.
"My pair isn't as warm in the mids, and the bass doesn't sound as deep (shows on the personal FR graph, attached), but I find them just as pleasing as when I tried your pair... it's probably amp differences. The upper mids are fantastic on this pair (I'm quite picky here), imaging/cohesiveness are top-notch, and details and control show at all volume levels. While they aren't as attention grabbing up front, they've grown on me wayyyy more than I expected... my neck's been hurting from wearing them so much this week. From Norah Jones to Al Green to The Black Keys to Aphex Twin, everything is engaging and comfortably presented. I've surprisingly listened to as much rock recently as I did when I went through my 'Led Zeppelin phase' years ago... which hasn't been in my rotation since :). All that's left is to build my balanced cable and I should be set for a long time! Thanks so much, again!

The Benchmark was more detailed, but I think the level of noise in my 28 is covering that last bit. As soon as I can solve that issue, I'll be good to go. Also, I didn't mention that the treble is more dark than smokey. Mid/lower treble is a bit lacking... but many say this should open up with more power (hence the balanced cables).

Compared to the NAD, there's more detail and control, and less of a center image. Better layering, too. The NAD sounds great though. The amp portion is great, the DAC isn't as grand.

Feel free to PM with any questions!

May 24, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #289 of 2,104
Hmm. Try changing USB ports, preferably USB 2.0 and not shared with any other devices (see USB port section here), and re-install the Audio-GD drivers.

already did that too, still didn't work, first half-second of my music still truncated, same as when i seek the music directly into the middle

the other things i already tried are disable usb suspend setting in win 7 64 bit, and from device manager, USB controller, i un-tick the "allow this comp to turn off this device to save power"

and now after around 1 hour of listening the sound got distorted, its like some continuous drop off, also sometimes my nfb-28 suddenly un-recognised by my comp, its missing from foobar output option, and foobar give an error "device invalidate"

PS: im running on WASAPI(event):SPDIF (audio-gd)

May 24, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #290 of 2,104

already did that too, still didn't work, first half-second of my music still truncated, same as when i seek the music directly into the middle

the other things i already tried are disable usb suspend setting in win 7 64 bit, and from device manager, USB controller, i un-tick the "allow this comp to turn off this device to save power"

and now after around 1 hour of listening the sound got distorted, its like some continuous drop off, also sometimes my nfb-28 suddenly un-recognised by my comp, its missing from foobar output option, and foobar give an error "device invalidate"

Sounds like a USB problem, either on your computer or the USB module inside NFB-28. Try with a different USB cable. Test playback on other computers/laptops. Also test with other audio players, like JRiver (30-day trial).

May 24, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #291 of 2,104
Sounds like a USB problem, either on your computer or the USB module inside NFB-28. Try with a different USB cable. Test playback on other computers/laptops. Also test with other audio players, like JRiver (30-day trial).

sorry for late reply, yesterday i decided to clean install my comp (laptop), i think this prob (below) solved, i let my nfb-28 run for around 3 hrs non-stop and its working well now, but still the first half-second of my music got truncated, if the other also got same prob, looks like thats ne nature of NFB-28 (the relay mechanism)

May 24, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #292 of 2,104

I'm getting a lot of noise from my NFB-28... near equal to my on-board audio (yikes). I have been since I got it, I kept telling myself I'd figure it out eventually, but I clearly haven't. I can hear music even when the volume is zero with IEM's, about 30% louder than the noise floor... from digital or analog inputs. With nothing playing, the noise at full volume on low gain is near uncomfortable. Any ideas as to what could be causing these issues? It's not source dependent... USB is the same as optical... and I've tried optical from two sources. Analog might be sightly quieter, but I can't be sure. Should I email Kingwa? Thanks y'all.

jodgey4,

Really sorry to hear this. :frowning2:   I didn't experience any noise whatsoever (besides the normal relay clicks) when I had this unit.  However, I never used it with IEMs as I don't own any, I just have my T1's and other full-size cans and never heard any noise, and only heard clean, clear music when the volume was above "0".  I was under the impression that the output was completed muted by the relay(s) when the Volume is at "0".  It always reverts to "0" when you turn it on.

I also had it connected to some active (powered) studio monitor speakers via the balanced XLRs, and there was no noise or music detectable through those unless the volume was at least past 0.  Weird!

Can you describe the noise in more detail?  Is it a constant hiss, 60-cycle hum, static, or pops, continuous or random/intermittent?  The only thing I can think of is if something is touching one of the connectors or contacts on the back of the unit and creating a ground loop or something similar.  Is the electrical outlet that you have it plugged into properly wired and grounded?  Maybe you have a wireless Internet router nearby or something else that is producing RF/EMI noise?

Did it happen after you tried the "warming" jumpers, or straight from the beginning?

Please email Kingwa, and if he doesn't have an answer or solution for you I would be happy to refund your money and take the unit back.  I hope there is a simple answer.  Please keep me posted.

May 24, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #293 of 2,104

jodgey4,

Really sorry to hear this. :frowning2:   I didn't experience any noise whatsoever (besides the normal relay clicks) when I had this unit.  However, I never used it with IEMs as I don't own any, I just have my T1's and other full-size cans.

hi bbfoto, did u also heard relay click everytime u play, stop and seek songs? and was your first half-second of your music also didn't have sound?

May 24, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #294 of 2,104
@KnightThe2nd,

I never noticed any of the songs being cut off at the beginning of tracks via Foobar thru the USB. However, the way the NFB-28 is designed, I think the unit mutes the inputs/outputs via the relays until the unit senses a digital data stream. So YES, the relays will naturally click On/Off between track transitions or Start/Stop/FF/RW, until the digital data stream or "bits" are active again.

I'm not an expert, but I think most DACs work this way, unless the unit itself can somehow generate "zero bits" (silence) on its own to in order to keep the data stream active, and therefore outputs active. I could be completely mistaken, however. :frowning2:

I remember that I did test the noise floor by turning the volume all the way up while playing a "Zero Bit" track from one of my test CDs (CD Player connected via Optical Toslink), and it was nearly dead silent thru my T1's (balanced XLR connection). I say "nearly" because I couldn't tell if there was a VERY faint hiss, or if it was just the sound of the blood flowing thru my head/ears! I do have slight tinnitus depending on certain conditions...worse when tired or hungry, etc.

May 24, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #295 of 2,104
@KnightThe2nd,

I never noticed any of the songs being cut off at the beginning of tracks via Foobar thru the USB. However, the way the NFB-28 is designed, I think the unit mutes the inputs/outputs via the relays until the unit senses a digital data stream. So YES, the relays will naturally click On/Off between track transitions or Start/Stop/FF/RW, until the digital data stream or "bits" are active again.

I'm not an expert, but I think most DACs work this way, unless the unit itself can somehow generate "zero bits" (silence) on its own to in order to keep the data stream active, and therefore outputs active. I could be completely mistaken, however.
frown.gif

I remember that I did test the noise floor by turning the volume all the way up while playing a "Zero Bit" track from one of my test CDs (CD Player connected via Optical Toslink), and it was nearly dead silent thru my T1's (balanced XLR connection). I say "nearly" because I couldn't tell if there was a VERY faint hiss, or if it was just the sound of the blood flowing thru my head/ears! I do have slight tinnitus depending on certain conditions...worse when tired or hungry, etc.

thx for your reply bbfoto,  if your unit didn't have any cut off at the very first part of music then maybe my unit is somehow defective, well i sent email to kingwa about this prob, i hope i can hear from him soon

btw i would also like to hear from other NFB-28 user regarding this cut-off issue (using usb connection), if anyone also has same prob, pls let me know, thx in advance

May 25, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #296 of 2,104
Can you describe the noise in more detail?  Is it a constant hiss, 60-cycle hum, static, or pops, continuous or random/intermittent?  The only thing I can think of is if something is touching one of the connectors or contacts on the back of the unit and creating a ground loop or something similar.  Is the electrical outlet that you have it plugged into properly wired and grounded?  Maybe you have a wireless Internet router nearby or something else that is producing RF/EMI noise?

Did it happen after you tried the "warming" jumpers, or straight from the beginning?

Please email Kingwa, and if he doesn't have an answer or solution for you I would be happy to refund your money and take the unit back.  I hope there is a simple answer.  Please keep me posted.

I've sent an email, and I am waiting for a reply. There is a constant hiss, I've tried many sockets, surge protectors, even a UPS source... even swapping cables. I live in an apartment complex right now... there's probably enough routers in here to give everyone in a 3 mile radius cancer. This happened before the jumpers. Hopefully Kingwa can help me figure this out, and I won't have to even think about returning this product. Also, I can only hear distorted music playing when using digital inputs. I'll keep searching for answers.

May 25, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #297 of 2,104
^ Please keep us posted. Hopefully there is a simple solution to the problem.

Not sure if this is related to your issue or not, but from past experience, a cheap power strip or plug converter can cause issues to the sound coming from an amp. In my case it was 'glare' or harshness in the sound - fixed by connecting the power directly to the wall outlet...

May 25, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #298 of 2,104
I've sent an email, and I am waiting for a reply. There is a constant hiss, I've tried many sockets, surge protectors, even a UPS source... even swapping cables. I live in an apartment complex right now... there's probably enough routers in here to give everyone in a 3 mile radius cancer. This happened before the jumpers. Hopefully Kingwa can help me figure this out, and I won't have to even think about returning this product. Also, I can only hear distorted music playing when using digital inputs. I'll keep searching for answers.

Hope you get these sorted out soon. Did you try if some ther usb DAC works or the nfb28 is the only DAC you have? I had not experienced any of the issues you described. I'm running 64-bit win7 using 32 bit win7 driver for the nfb28. Works perfectly for me in all wasapi, direct sound, or asio modes with fb2k and mediamonkey.

May 25, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #300 of 2,104
Guys everytime i turn off my nfb-28 the volume always back to 0, Is that normal?

Yes normal. Designed to protect against too having high volume for high sensitivity gears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back