Audio-gd NFB-28
Mar 19, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #241 of 2,104
That's not how that works :wink:  The 10.33 and NFB-28 have unity gain and relay volume control which make them ideal partners for iems.

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #242 of 2,104
If I were to upgrade from my 15.32 to this what kind of improvement should I be expecting and is it a dramatic improvement?

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #244 of 2,104
To ask UNIFi's question a little differently thinking strongly about going from an 11.32 to balanced output (new cables) on the 28 driving HE-500's.....  Will it be noticeable (from what I have read, I will get a good boost going balanced, and an incremental boost going on better circuitry.... I think.

Correct assumption?

Apr 8, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #245 of 2,104
Kingwa told me that if you aren't running headphones balanced... get the Compass.  Compass being slightly better than the 11.32.

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #247 of 2,104
The first and only negative review on this DAC/amp.... Is it really underpowered to drive an HE-6?  Anyone else experience the popping issue on changing sources?  Link below and excerpt from the link translated

http://www.auriculares-hifi.com/foro/index.php?topic=822.0

After trying three headphones as different profiles, and seeing the synergy obtained with each handset, I can almost ensure great versatility of this combo with most headphones in the market. 
With that I like are the orthodinamic instead very sensitive and very low impedance headphones, caught some annoying background noise. Modifying a Jack input cable 6'3 "to XLR is very cheap, just have to change the connector, you can also buy a cable XLR finish. For me, Paco de Cables Hamlet , I drew up one XLR finish. UPGRADE TO 10/03/2014. 6 MONTH AFTER I got it half a year ago and I've tried many headphones and more to know me pat.takes In General extraordinarily well balanced with orthodinamic in, I tested the Audeze LCD-2, LCD-X, hifiman HE-500 and HE-6 hifiman "latter not moving well" was my surprise to see that the Schiit Lyr at that impedance has 4W was more capable than the Audio-Gd with the HE-6. This gives the feeling that the power given Audio-Gd on your device comes quite exaggerated. I've tested many different headphones and combo is completely neutral, not only provides warmth, brightness or none. Jumpers Probe to increase the warmth, not only had no more serious note, if not noticing the sound worse with jumpers posts. as the combo becomes darker and lacking in detail. A huge disappointment from the jumpers to increase warmth. With dynamic low impedance and nothing was very sensitive along. With the Denon AH-D7100, AH-D600, D340 and AH-P7 Bowers Wilkins caught me a noise background very annoying. When you give volume or you take away volume up or down the noise, it's like a "coupling" They have a very good synergy with the 6X0 range of sennheiser, however the HD800 Sennheiser not end convinced me to the Audio-Gd. Sound too "thin" and some "aggressive" Then also detect when you use it only as Dac connected to an external amplifier, does not the headphone amplifier. , and what worries me the most of the device, when you change the channel headphones connected to the input of channel 1 to channel 2, etc .... or when you change Dac / HP. Paste as a petardazo, I've had more of a scare with my headphones on. It is a petardazo that gives the feeling that it is dangerous for the headphones. I imagine there will miss a very straightforward design for better sound quality, In fact I just heard the combo with the computer and do not usually touch the input, but day I did more testing apparatus, paste me a scare that fabric. Best of Combo is the Dac and its value is devastating. But I have found these faults and apparently not only does my NFB-28. Where'd you bought? manufactures directly because www.audio-gd.com , I personally attended the Sr.Kingwa through your e-mail audio -gd @ 126.com http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB28/NFB28EN.htm gave me a choice of shipping by EMS or DHL .payment is made ​​through paypal . Note that as the dollar being devalued against the Euro the price was fantastic. combo goes to change about 553 Euros ($ 750).

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #248 of 2,104
  The first and only negative review on this DAC/amp.... Is it really underpowered to drive an HE-6?  Anyone else experience the popping issue on changing sources?  Link below and excerpt from the link translated

I had a NFB-10SE which is nearly identical (I believe) aside from inputs and a few small changes. I felt my NFB-10SE underpowered my HE-6 when I had them. Additionally, at the time, I found the emotiva A-100 to really bring on a new level of performance for the HE-6 that no other headphone amplifier could produce. 

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #249 of 2,104
  Thanks, but I plan on using balanced, and the 10.33 doesn't have analog in (+ future-proofing either way).

I think I've decided, unless someone here has owned both and can convince me otherwise... that I'll be going for a Compass 2 with the WM8741 and maybe an extra ES9018 module instead of the NFB-28. I don't think I can justify ~$300 just to go balanced, and the Compass seems to have plenty of power.

Apr 12, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #250 of 2,104
I pulled the trigger on the NFB-28.  If the shipping gods work out I might have my NFB-28 here at the same time as the NFB-11.32.  And while a relative newb, I hope see if I can hear a difference between the balanced 28, and the straight 11.32....   Will report hopefully in a week.

The spec sheet differences between the 8741 and 9018, would lead me to believe that difference would be hearable.....

Apr 15, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #251 of 2,104
So there are some DAC/amp combos in the FS forums. An NFB-28 and an NFB-10ES. Specs look very similar to me...count me in as someone confused by all the Audio-gd models. What are the differences b/n these two?

Apr 15, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #252 of 2,104
So there are some DAC/amp combos in the FS forums. An NFB-28 and an NFB-10ES. Specs look very similar to me...count me in as someone confused by all the Audio-gd models. What are the differences b/n these two?

Depends on the version. There was 10ES, then 10ES2, then 10ES3 and now 10.33. The main difference is that NFB-28 includes analog RCA/XLR inputs.

See Audio-GD's current and discontinued product listings for more info:
NFB-28 differences with the NFB-10ES2:
1. The NFB-28 has analog XLR and RCA inputs, and can used as a dedicated headphone amp or preamp.
2. The NFB-28 has 4 digital inputs (Including BNC)
3. The NFB-28 has a larger R core power transformer.
4. The chassis is upgraded with all aluminum construction and a user friendly, rotary volume control.

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #254 of 2,104
The NFB-28 arrived yesterday.  I assumed that the differences between it and the NFB-11.32 would be subtle and I would be doing cable switching to hear the difference.  Well that was completely wrong.  The NFB-28 is in a different league (as it should be for the price difference) to the 11.32.  Huge upgrade even before I changed my HE-500 cabling to balanced.  It has plenty of power to drive the HE-500s no issue at all.

Balanced really opened up the soundstage and made binaural recordings even more of a joy.

The day was not without some issues however, and frankly some disappointments.

1)  The click when volume is changed is very noticeable.  I am sure I will get used to it but its there and initially annoying but it was explained to me that this is necessary due to the superior sound performance of the unit and how it changes volume.

2)  DO NOT change sources on this unit with the phones on.  The blast of static you will get will be very well loud and static-ky.  Shouldn't be a problem long term as I plan on settling in on a single source to feed it.  but for day 1 and trouble identified below its an issue.

3) My source is a Samsung Galaxy S4 using USB Audio Player pro.  The NFB-11.32 didn't have problems with this source playing back 24/96 flacs, the NFB-28 does have an issue syncing with the phone and I do experience period drops, which when it occurs results in item 2..... I think this is a phone software issue and not associated with the NFB-28...  This may be cureable with software settings in the phones player.

Overall very happy, and the NFB-28 is a great unit.  Shipping was extremely fast and Audio-GD was very helpful with the purchase.  Highly recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back