Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Jan 28, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #1,696 of 3,093

No this is not the case for me. The issues I'm experiencing with my brand new obsolete NFB-11 aren't just during native DSD playback. It is constant, in ASIO, WASAPI, and DirectSound. Whenever audio playback is initiated, no matter WHAT the scenario, there is a delay during which playback has begun but audio is muted. This is annoying at best, and at worst it renders the NFB-11 useless as a system audio device via USB connection, since many system and application audio cues only last a second, they are completely lost by the mute delay. Not to mention all the clicking noises coming out of the box, which occur ANYTIME audio playback is initiated as well, regardless of the output method (ASIO, WASAPI, DirectSound). For instance, if I open up the properties for the audio-gd entry in Windows audio devices, and go to the tab where you can select a default depth and sample rate, and there try clicking on the "Test" button, the NFB-11 makes clicking noises and outputs only the faintest breath of the tail end of the test audio output because the mute delay has completely wiped it out.

If I go into the the "sounds" tab of the Windows Sound configuration window where you can change the sound scheme and test the sound of different program events, if I click repeatedly on the "Test" button for any of the program events, the NFB-11 makes a whole lot of clicking noises, and only rarely outputs any audio, and if it does it's just a fraction.

This was an issue Audio-GD was fully aware of when I purchased the unit, such that they have now released a revised model with a solution. However, they neglected to advertise the issue on the product page, and therefore as far as I'm concerned, I have received a defective product, regardless of whether the issue I'm describing is "intended functionality". I've sent an email to Kingwa saying as much and have requested a refund or an exchange for the new model, which I think is a reasonable request.

I actually don't hear any pops at the beginning of playback using any of the connectors, just mute. I thought the whole purpose of the muting was to prevent hearing the pops. To avoid the muting problem I've been using optical and haven't experienced either muting or popping. But I bought this unit because it had USB connectivity, so this isn't really a acceptable solution for me.

Please keep us updated with the refund, return for 2015 version process...it would be nice if I could also do that since it's been under 2 weeks for me. Although you might have to pay the shipping costs which would be insane for round trip...

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #1,697 of 3,093

No this is not the case for me. The issues I'm experiencing with my brand new obsolete NFB-11 aren't just during native DSD playback. It is constant, in ASIO, WASAPI, and DirectSound. Whenever audio playback is initiated, no matter WHAT the scenario, there is a delay during which playback has begun but audio is muted. This is annoying at best, and at worst it renders the NFB-11 useless as a system audio device via USB connection, since many system and application audio cues only last a second, they are completely lost by the mute delay. Not to mention all the clicking noises coming out of the box, which occur ANYTIME audio playback is initiated as well, regardless of the output method (ASIO, WASAPI, DirectSound). For instance, if I open up the properties for the audio-gd entry in Windows audio devices, and go to the tab where you can select a default depth and sample rate, and there try clicking on the "Test" button, the NFB-11 makes clicking noises and outputs only the faintest breath of the tail end of the test audio output because the mute delay has completely wiped it out.

If I go into the the "sounds" tab of the Windows Sound configuration window where you can change the sound scheme and test the sound of different program events, if I click repeatedly on the "Test" button for any of the program events, the NFB-11 makes a whole lot of clicking noises, and only rarely outputs any audio, and if it does it's just a fraction.

this must be a problematic unit and IMHO you are entitled in a refund or replacement ....

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #1,698 of 3,093

Please keep us updated with the refund, return for 2015 version process...it would be nice if I could also do that since it's been under 2 weeks for me. Although you might have to pay the shipping costs which would be insane for round trip...

according to their website's warranty conditions, THEY pay for any shipping if the unit is defective ....

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #1,699 of 3,093
I would say the Sabre chip is not a good match with the HE-560 in general, save for the rare implementations, like the Yulong D18 [going by reports and what I read].
I owned the NFB-7 and while very detailed and precise, I don't consider it a good match for the HE-560 from experience. Maybe the NFB-11 is different enough, but that I don't know. I too think the NFB15 would be a better much,,,
We'll see. YMMV.

Going by reports and what you have read.. and specifications or manufacturers claims... from what I have read and personal experience ...often leads one astray. I try not to comment on anything unless I have had direct experience with using the actual exact item being discussed. Maybe that is why my post count is so low...
:wink:

We will see once I get my HE 560s. But I can say having used at least a dozen phones, including the He 400i, HD600, 650, HP50, X1, X2 and a few Grados.. using the headphone amp in the NFB11 the sound is verging on being just too laid back for me. Using the line out driving a few other amps I find the sound to remind me more of the descriptions that I have read of the Sabre sound... but still far from being over analytical, edgy, or harsh. The sound signature that one gets from the headphone out on the NFB 11 seems to be 80% influenced by the analog stage. (at least in my unit).

Will let folks here know what I think of the pairing with the HE 560 once I can speak from experience and not conjecture.

Jan 28, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #1,700 of 3,093
  according to their website's warranty conditions, THEY pay for any shipping if the unit is defective ....

I have no idea if anyone else is having this problem or this is intentionally normal...nothing else seems wrong except for the fact that mute relay is triggered every time. When they said that for cost reasons, they had to go hardware for this, it makes me think that it was done intentionally and no one has addressed this so far.
Even if audio-gd would allow for return and send of 2015 version, paying for the shipping fee alone is around $70 which I don't think is worth the wait and the improvement.

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #1,701 of 3,093
  I have no idea if anyone else is having this problem or this is intentionally normal...nothing else seems wrong except for the fact that mute relay is triggered every time. When they said that for cost reasons, they had to go hardware for this, it makes me think that it was done intentionally and no one has addressed this so far.
Even if audio-gd would allow for return and send of 2015 version, paying for the shipping fee alone is around $70 which I don't think is worth the wait and the improvement.

All I'm saying is they should have indicated in the product description that it had this "feature". After all it's not like they didn't know about it. Quite the contrary.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #1,702 of 3,093
I just got a reply saying "Do you notice there is $23 price difference between them?" after I asked for a swap. I guess I will just back off since it looks like all the extra costs and hassle does not seem to be worth my time.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #1,703 of 3,093
  I just got a reply saying "Do you notice there is $23 price difference between them?" after I asked for a swap. I guess I will just back off since it looks like all the extra costs and hassle does not seem to be worth my time.

They actually offered to swap for you if you paid the difference? Did they say anything about shipping? So far all they've had to say to me is explaining--ad nauseum--that the mute design is necessary for DSD.

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #1,705 of 3,093
Can anyone still pull up the page referencing the 2015 model? The only page I can find now is for the old 2014 model.

EDIT:

Nevermind, the new model comes up in a different browser, but I guess I have the old page cached in Chrome or something.

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #1,706 of 3,093
  Can anyone still pull up the page referencing the 2015 model? The only page I can find now is for the old 2014 model.

EDIT:

Nevermind, the new model comes up in a different browser, but I guess I have the old page cached in Chrome or something.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB112014/NFB112014EN.htm

Chrome in my lap, leads me to the 2015 model if I use the above link ....

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #1,707 of 3,093
  http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB112014/NFB112014EN.htm

Chrome in my lap, leads me to the 2015 model if I use the above link ....

Yeah I just meant that Chrome must have cached the old page on my computer. I wiped the cache and the new page comes up.

Anyways, Kingwa has offered to give me a full refund (including what I paid for shipping of the original unit) if I pay for return shipping. Then I can purchase the NFB-11 (2015) at my discretion. I'm strongly considering it. The alternative is cutting wires or doing a case mod and soldering in a switch myself. Either way, ~$35 for return shipping seems like the preferable choice.

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #1,709 of 3,093
^ yes is the universally accepted answer. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #1,710 of 3,093

Yeah I just meant that Chrome must have cached the old page on my computer. I wiped the cache and the new page comes up.

Anyways, Kingwa has offered to give me a full refund (including what I paid for shipping of the original unit) if I pay for return shipping. Then I can purchase the NFB-11 (2015) at my discretion. I'm strongly considering it. The alternative is cutting wires or doing a case mod and soldering in a switch myself. Either way, ~$35 for return shipping seems like the preferable choice.

A refund of initial shipping fee is not bad at all. Although you would have to pay $35 more, I think it's pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back