Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Dec 21, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #256 of 3,093
Quote:
V1.21 was a different direction than V1.1 and better in many ways.

V1.22 sounds like an upgraded V1.1 and I really dig it.  I like this direction, sounds good to me Kingwa.

Using VIA ASIO output w/Foobar.  Listening to Eric Dolphy's Out There and hearing it for the first time it seems.

EDIT: Ooops, appears I had V1.22 installed incorrectly.  It was sounding warm and fuzzy like V1.1.  I guess I like that fuzzy sound; perhaps I need a tube amp.

Anyhow another restart of my computer corrected the "problem" and, although I have not compared them head-to-head, V1.22 now sounds like V1.21.  More accurate, tighter bass, more details.  No doubt it sounds like the USB-32 interface has improved significantly but I also enjoyed "warm and fuzzy"
biggrin.gif

So, Cplay should work now? (as it only uses asio32)

Dec 22, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #257 of 3,093
Guys, 

I'm having a hard time deciding between the NFB 11.32 and Compass 2. I'm reading really good things about the ES9018 Sabre DAC and want to try it out.

Been in contact with Kingwa about the differences between the two units and the feedback is that the sound flavor is about the same, but the sound quality of the Compass 2 is better. I don't know how to interpret this as I would like know the difference. 

Has anyone had the chance to try the Compass 2 and the NFB 11.32? Would appreciate any feedback on what people hear the differences are.

Steve

Dec 22, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #258 of 3,093
Quote:
Guys, 

I'm having a hard time deciding between the NFB 11.32 and Compass 2. I'm reading really good things about the ES9018 Sabre DAC and want to try it out.

Been in contact with Kingwa about the differences between the two units and the feedback is that the sound flavor is about the same, but the sound quality of the Compass 2 is better. I don't know how to interpret this as I would like know the difference. 

Has anyone had the chance to try the Compass 2 and the NFB 11.32? Would appreciate any feedback on what people hear the differences are.

Steve

I asked him the same question yesterday and got the same answer, still undecided.....

Dec 22, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #259 of 3,093
I'm guessing that either the Compass2 or 11.32 would fit the bill. I love the 11.32 but if the Compass2 would have come out at the same time, I would have gone with the Compass2, mainly for the line-in as an added feature. I use the line-in on the FUN a lot with various sources and it's a great feature, on top of the great sound of course.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad from Ultrasone Planet using Tapatalk HD

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #260 of 3,093
Quote:
 ...the feedback is that the sound flavor is about the same, but the sound quality of the Compass 2 is better... 

Looking at some of the details on the Compass 2, it says that the DAC output from the Compass 2 is an ACSS feed direct to the amp. This could explain the design difference to the NFB 11.32, assuming that NFB 11.32 doesn't have ACSS and that ACSS is a much better design. Also maybe this is why Kingwa believes that the sound quality out of the Compass 2 is better.

Not sure of what ACSS does or how great it is. Would like someone to explain this to me.

Steve 

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #261 of 3,093
Quote:

Looking at some of the details on the Compass 2, it says that the DAC output from the Compass 2 is an ACSS feed direct to the amp. This could explain the design difference to the NFB 11.32, assuming that NFB 11.32 doesn't have ACSS and that ACSS is a much better design. Also maybe this is why Kingwa believes that the sound quality out of the Compass 2 is better.

Not sure of what ACSS does or how great it is. Would like someone to explain this to me.

Steve 

This description is from one of their other products:

About ACSS-

[size=x-small]ACSS (Audio-gd Current Signal System) is Audio-gd's system for transmitting audio signals in the current domain. This concept, first seen in 1966, we have used for many years, and since 2006, have evolved the technology to include all audio signals in our systems from the digital source to the power amplifier. Since 2005, ACSS comp5nts have become Audio-gd's most popular products.[/size]

This is from the Compass2 (About Compass2):
[size=x-small]The Compass 2 applies Non-feedback ACSS design. The ES9018 feed to the ACSS circuit without any OPAs .
       The ACSS circuit naturally working in current model and have design difference current input , it can process the I/V conversion, signal difference and headphone amp in current model in one ACSS amp . And this ACSS amp only have one current gain stage , the ES9018 output signal only through one stage can arrive the output stages .
      The shortest signal journey can reproduce the best detail and dynamic, and almost without sound coloration , It can show the  real performance of the ES9018 .
       So our ACSS design is the best combo with ES9018 achieve the best performance .
[/size]

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #262 of 3,093
Quote:

This description is from one of their other products:

About ACSS-

[size=x-small]ACSS (Audio-gd Current Signal System) is Audio-gd's system for transmitting audio signals in the current domain. This concept, first seen in 1966, we have used for many years, and since 2006, have evolved the technology to include all audio signals in our systems from the digital source to the power amplifier. Since 2005, ACSS comp5nts have become Audio-gd's most popular products.[/size]

This is from the Compass2 (About Compass2):
[size=x-small]The Compass 2 applies Non-feedback ACSS design. The ES9018 feed to the ACSS circuit without any OPAs .
       The ACSS circuit naturally working in current model and have design difference current input , it can process the I/V conversion, signal difference and headphone amp in current model in one ACSS amp . And this ACSS amp only have one current gain stage , the ES9018 output signal only through one stage can arrive the output stages .
      The shortest signal journey can reproduce the best detail and dynamic, and almost without sound coloration , It can show the  real performance of the ES9018 .
       So our ACSS design is the best combo with ES9018 achieve the best performance .
[/size]

In the 11.32 specs Kingwa says "[size=small]Non- feedback ACSS analog output stage ." [/size]Is this the same as what your describing? 

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #263 of 3,093
I just quoted what was on their site about acss for Steven and his questions. Hopefully Kingwa will explain. There's been many changes through the years. I remember it being calles cast at first.
I believe non feedback is implied in the NFB product line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #264 of 3,093
I'm here for the USB-32 updates only....have never heard the Compass or the NFB 11.32.  But at the price point of these two items, if you have the additional $160 and want to spend it, you are probably going to get your bang-for-the-buck with improved sound quality with Audio-gd being able to deliver better quality parts in the Compass2.

And you will definitely appreciate a line-in feature the first time you have another dac around you want to compare.

Back to USB-32: careful when updating the drivers.  I seem to have better luck these days, but when I rush things I tend to get poor results.  Going extra carefully lately and am uninstalling previous drivers, restarting the computer and the gear, installing new drivers and restarting the PC.  And restarting a second time even.

Firmware #4 and Driver V1.22 using VIA ASIO seem pretty awesome to me now that I have lived with it for awhile.  My ears are sensitive to high frequencies and Firmware #3 and V1.1 was easier on them, but the new V1.22 has much better separation of instruments and vocals, and bass that is more toe-tapping.  Just gotta remember to keep the volume at a reasonable level.

EDIT - please see this post for an update:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/624517/audio-gd-nfb-11-32-delivery-impression-thread/285#post_9005046

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #265 of 3,093
Quote:
I'm here for the USB-32 updates only....have never heard the Compass or the NFB 11.32.  But at the price point of these two items, if you have the additional and want to spend it, you are probably going to get your bang-for-the-buck with improved sound quality with Audio-gd being able to deliver better quality parts in the Compass2.

And you will definitely appreciate a line-in feature the first time you have another dac around you want to compare.

Back to USB-32: careful when updating the drivers.  I seem to have better luck these days, but when I rush things I tend to get poor results.  Going extra carefully lately and am uninstalling previous drivers, restarting the computer and the gear, installing new drivers and restarting the PC.  And restarting a second time even.

Firmware #4 and Driver V1.22 using VIA ASIO seem pretty awesome to me now that I have lived with it for awhile.  My ears are sensitive to high frequencies and Firmware #3 and V1.1 was easier on them, but the new V1.22 has much better separation of instruments and vocals, and bass that is more toe-tapping.  Just gotta remember to keep the volume at a reasonable level.

Thank you for the heads-up, this is what I wanted to read!

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #266 of 3,093
Aren't 1.22 a little bit more warm than 1.20? Or only I have that feeling?

Btw, now it's under my Windows XP detected as 24-bit, not 16-bit. But still no success to play 96000 Hz files.

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #270 of 3,093
Hi , i have been using my NFB 11.32 under Windows 7 with no problem , now i switched to an iMac cause it was a christmas present , however when i plug the NFB 11.32 via USB nothing happens , it is not recognized. What must i do to make it work in my iMac ? Is someone using it with a Mac ? If someone can help it would be great .
Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back