Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Feb 26, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #2,131 of 2,569
I don't have an R2R-11, but I do have 2 Audio GD Amps (DAC-19 & NOS 19), both of which output 2.5v (there is no high/lo setting). This is 25% higher than the nominal 2v output typical of most DACs (my previous DACs were both ~2v output).

Reason I mention this is that any DAC you have will fit into an overall system gain structure, which is totally different for each system/person. So for someone whose system is moderate at this point (ie, find yourself really cranking the volume pot of HP amp and/or preamp-to-speakers), then maybe the R2R-11's high gain output is just what the doctor ordered.

But if you're like me w/too much system gain, the low output might be ideal.

I personally have never heard any sonic differences assoc. w/gain from DACs or HP amps.

Mar 3, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #2,132 of 2,569
Just pulled the trigger on r2r 11
Does anyone know how it compares to Parasound zdac v.2 ?

OK, so I get to answer My own Question. I live in the Seattle area and I received my R2R 11 from china on the 8th day after I ordered it. I would say thats pretty fast.
Immediatly out of the box my impression was that it is an extremely impressive dac.(through my WA6 into HE 560) I love this combo. So after listening for awhile I decided to a/b with my Parasound zdac. Not even a competition. The R2R 11 sounds High end in comparison. Makes me feel like I wasted my money on the zdac which cost $200 more. The zdac doesnt sound bad, but R2R is in another class. $350 is an absolute steal. And the amp sounds quite good also.
Ive upgraded from Musical Fidelity VDAC to Cambridge Dacmagic to Parasound zdac to the R2R 11. I think I will be quite happy for awhile. And when I do upgrade again, it will most likely be Audio gd. The price to performance ratio is insanely good.

Mar 4, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #2,133 of 2,569
OK, so I get to answer My own Question. I live in the Seattle area and I received my R2R 11 from china on the 8th day after I ordered it. I would say thats pretty fast.
Immediatly out of the box my impression was that it is an extremely impressive dac.(through my WA6 into HE 560) I love this combo. So after listening for awhile I decided to a/b with my Parasound zdac. Not even a competition. The R2R 11 sounds High end in comparison. Makes me feel like I wasted my money on the zdac which cost $200 more. The zdac doesnt sound bad, but R2R is in another class. $350 is an absolute steal. And the amp sounds quite good also.
Ive upgraded from Musical Fidelity VDAC to Cambridge Dacmagic to Parasound zdac to the R2R 11. I think I will be quite happy for awhile. And when I do upgrade again, it will most likely be Audio gd. The price to performance ratio is insanely good.

I have had my R2R-11 for several months, and if you liked it right out of the box, you have a very pleasent surprise after 100 hours of use. The NOS resistor ladder DAC has to "break-in" and it will blossom like a flower over time.

Mar 4, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #2,134 of 2,569
I have had my R2R-11 for several months, and if you liked it right out of the box, you have a very pleasent surprise after 100 hours of use. The NOS resistor ladder DAC has to "break-in" and it will blossom like a flower over time.

I look forward to hearing it 'blossom'.

Mar 9, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #2,138 of 2,569
Mar 10, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #2,140 of 2,569
Thank you! Any recommendations for power amp under $200?
Hmm, maybe just something cheap until you can get an audiogd precision 3s for $400? Than later when you upgrade to a balanced audio gd dac you can get a second precision for balanced drive xD

Mar 10, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #2,142 of 2,569
Planning to get the R2R 11 soon and looking for a closed cans for office use. Considering LCD-2 Classic/Aeon Flow Closed/Audioquest Night Owl/TH-X00, but more than happy to add something to the list. It seems that I can only test LCDs in the local shop, so asking for recommendations. What do you guys think will work best with R2R? Thanks!

Mar 10, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #2,143 of 2,569
Planning to get the R2R 11 soon and looking for a closed cans for office use. Considering LCD-2 Classic/Aeon Flow Closed/Audioquest Night Owl/TH-X00, but more than happy to add something to the list. It seems that I can only test LCDs in the local shop, so asking for recommendations. What do you guys think will work best with R2R? Thanks!
If you read back on this thread you'll find that lcd2 is best with brighter amps like the 11.28. Don't know the sounds the other cans you mentioned. R2R is a warmer tubed like sound to it.

Mar 10, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #2,145 of 2,569

The LCD2Classic and Aeon Closed are actually decently bright headphones, at least compared to the nighowls which are legitimately dark. I would definitely go with the aeon or lcd, theyll both pair beautifully with the r2r11. The lcds are heavy and open, the aeons are lighter and closed. They're both low distortion with a good treble response, both have good clean bass as well but the lcd wins in terms of impact and sustain.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MrSpeakersAeonsnACXB168wFilters.pdf

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2Classic.pdf

The nighttowls are good clean headphones but theyll lack a bit of impact and detail compared to the other 2.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioQuestNightOwlStockPads.pdf

The THX00 has a bit less impact than the lcd, treble is smooth but its a bit v shaped and punchy, should pair well with the r2r11 as well
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTHX00sn1927.pdf

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back