Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Mar 24, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #2,161 of 2,569
Once changed from QP1R to the R2R11, the sound stage shrank immensely.. The ES9038Pro is like the Mercedes of sound stage.
Although I do love the sound stage of the R2R11, it's very intimate against a delta sigma.
If I listen from a cold start the R2R11 is quite boring and the stage is small, give it half an hour and it's a different beast.

Mar 24, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #2,162 of 2,569
If I listen from a cold start the R2R11 is quite boring and the stage is small, give it half an hour and it's a different beast.

I've been using my R2R11 since 2017, my favorite unit which made me even sell my CMA600i. Sound stage is good, don't get me wrong, but QP1R's was wider, so as CMA600i was wider, feeding the R2R11 via the CMA600i took the musicality to an incredible level!
Wanted to purchase a cma800r golden not long ago but it has been sold.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #2,163 of 2,569
I used the T1.1 nearly exclusively since I got mine February 2018 because the match of a warm tilt with a wide resolving headphone matched perfectly.

I have just got my hands on a second hand mint set of HD800 and again its a hell of a match, everything just sounds so right across the frequencies. The sound stage is holographic on well recorded material, vocalists singing out in the room suspended middle between the instruments like a well set up near field speaker rig is playing to me, in love with this :)

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #2,164 of 2,569
I used the T1.1 nearly exclusively since I got mine February 2018 because the match of a warm tilt with a wide resolving headphone matched perfectly.

I have just got my hands on a second hand mint set of HD800 and again its a hell of a match, everything just sounds so right across the frequencies. The sound stage is holographic on well recorded material, vocalists singing out in the room suspended middle between the instruments like a well set up near field speaker rig is playing to me, in love with this :)

Watching movies with HD800 + R2R11 was incredible. The sound stage of the unit is very holographic yet realistic unlike other devices that exaggerate with the sound stage.

Mar 24, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #2,165 of 2,569
Watching movies with HD800 + R2R11 was incredible. The sound stage of the unit is very holographic yet realistic unlike other devices that exaggerate with the sound stage.
You owe it to youself to try Out of Your Head(link in sig) with that setup, recommend eqing the headphones flat.

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #2,166 of 2,569
mine is always ON for a year now :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #2,167 of 2,569
seriously guys you should try audirvana plus and use custom upsample SoX Filter, everything to 384khz, only use PCM as R2R dac sound better with PCM input, turn off all DSD options and u are good to go ! Really amazing sound #"$"#, I literally hear new details in every other track, Really big improvement

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #2,168 of 2,569
So guys which one is worth buying or which one pairs better with HD600 or HD650 and Fidelio X2HR?

Have to mention i love details :p Is there a big difference in terms of sound between those two?

Btw if anyone is from EU and is selling a used one just send PM interested in buying

Thanks

Apr 13, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #2,170 of 2,569
I'm currently using the NFB-11.28, but thinking of replacing it with the Topping DX7s, as it comes with balanced outputs for both headphones and speakers
and it comes (optional) with a remote.
I decided to try balanced headphones and run balanced cables to my studio monitors (looking as buying Massdrop/JBL LSR30X).
Audio-GD balanced DACs just cost way more, for balanced outputs (w/remote).

Apr 13, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #2,171 of 2,569
I'm currently using the NFB-11.28, but thinking of replacing it with the Topping DX7s, as it comes with balanced outputs for both headphones and speakers
I decided to try balanced headphones and run balanced cables to my studio monitors (looking as buying Massdrop/JBL LSR30X).
The nfb-28 costs more and is worth easily more. Depends on your budget and preferences. I would get the nfb-28 with the accusilicon tcxo upgrade if had to upgrade from the 11.28. You get a discrete balanced amp with plenty of power, and it will drive just about any headphones.

Apr 13, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #2,172 of 2,569

The nfb-28 costs more and is worth easily more. Depends on your budget and preferences. I would get the nfb-28 with the accusilicon tcxo upgrade if had to upgrade from the 11.28. You get a discrete balanced amp with plenty of power, and it will drive just about any headphones.

The Topping units dont render microdetail(soundstage information, room acoustics, decay, etc.) anywhere near as well as the Audio-GD circuits. The non feedback might not do as well under torture tests but in actual rendering the recording theres no contest. Audio GDs current signal is more natural and uncolored as well. It has been said, a good single ended circuit is better than a not as good balanced one.

Apr 13, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #2,173 of 2,569
The Topping units dont render microdetail(soundstage information, room acoustics, decay, etc.) anywhere near as well as the Audio-GD circuits. The non feedback might not do as well under torture tests but in actual rendering the recording theres no contest. Audio GDs current signal is more natural and uncolored as well. It has been said, a good single ended circuit is better than a not as good balanced one.
Listening to the Master-3, using the same non feeback design, i am getting the richest sounding, most transparent and smoothest speaker amp i have ever owned. Good point also with single-ended vs balanced

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #2,174 of 2,569
Hi to all, the 11.38 is way better than 11.28? the only difference is the es9038 vs 9028?
11.38 as the TCXO already or must be modified like 11.28?
with a hd599, smsl sa-36a pro and scythe scbks-1100 kro craft speaker rev. b what of that 2 amp do you suggest me? thanks

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #2,175 of 2,569
Just for a change of conversation, I came across this excellent little interview with the great Dan D'Agostino, of Krell and D'Agostino fame, discussing with Steve Guttenberg on the "measurements rule all .. or not" issue.
From the master himself, it's enlightening to hear his personal take on the subject. Seems a lovely man and a true master of his craft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back