Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Mar 10, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #2,147 of 2,569
I had the R2R11 and the NFB11.38 TcXo with 2018 LCD2. Although soundstage and overall organics of the sound was a bit better with the R2R11 i stayed with the 11.38. Best detail resolve and much better THD levels. No regrets.

Mar 10, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #2,148 of 2,569
sorry, had to mention that I'm considering the closed version
I thought it was weird that it said classic ;] On that note the thx00s dont isolate anywhere near as much as the rest

The lcd2closed isnt quite as reference as the aeon closed, its a bit more like the thx00 but retains the impact and is slightly piercing
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/?...2-closed-back-headphones&catid=263&Itemid=203
similar to the lcdxc but with more bass
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCDXC.pdf

Mar 10, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #2,149 of 2,569
I’d probably aim for the Aeon Closed to pair with the R2R-11. Better for the office.

Mar 10, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #2,150 of 2,569
Planning to get the R2R 11 soon and looking for a closed cans for office use. Considering LCD-2 Classic/Aeon Flow Closed/Audioquest Night Owl/TH-X00, but more than happy to add something to the list. It seems that I can only test LCDs in the local shop, so asking for recommendations. What do you guys think will work best with R2R? Thanks!

Luckily there's an HD250 linear 1 600 ohm on ebay,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-vinta...m4d8ec34e03:g:zTIAAOSwn2pcgk0g&frcectupt=true

Office or not, get that one, ask me for modification of pads and foam in private message and call it end game.

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #2,151 of 2,569
Planning to get the R2R 11 soon and looking for a closed cans for office use. Considering LCD-2 Classic/Aeon Flow Closed/Audioquest Night Owl/TH-X00, but more than happy to add something to the list. It seems that I can only test LCDs in the local shop, so asking for recommendations. What do you guys think will work best with R2R? Thanks!

I have two Audio GD multibit DACs (DAC-19 & NOS 19), and IMO, everything works with multibit. It's not a flavor or a equalize-the-sound thing for any headphone. I found it improved digital sound for every attached device. The NOS 19 is my day-to-day/primary system DAC.

Take a look at my list of headphones. They all sound good on these DACs...

BTW, I had an AGD all-in-one a couple years ago (NFB 15.32). I didn't much care for the DAC, but the single-ended amp in that device (which I'm pretty sure is the same one in the R2R 11) was well above average for me. Strong, clean, great bass. On the neutral side. Paired w/an NOS DAC like the one in the R2R 11, that's a great combination...

Mar 11, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #2,152 of 2,569
Now that I have upgraded the HifiMAN HE400S with Mogami cable (Focus A pads already installed and not going anywhere!), I have fired up the R2R-11 again over the last few days and discovered that not only has the R2R become even more alive at nearer the 500 hour mark (just as Kingwa said it would), the HE400S now sound rather good with this DAC/amp!
Something has definitely happened to the R2R, as it has become even 'faster' and more dynamic that it was quite some hours ago, no matter what headphone I use with it. Dynamic range seems to have expanded and the sheer speed of drum kits and guitars has somewhat shocked me, bringing even more life and drama to the astounding dynamics on Ani DiFranco's Living In Clip pair of live albums, damn that woman can play! Andy Stochanski on drums reminds me of a cross between animal on Sesame Street - :) :) - and Keith Moon but with more refinement. Wow. I have simply not heard the R2R like this before and although, no, it does not resolve the fine detail and sublime focus that I get through the Mimby/Slinkylinks silver cables/Elekit TU8500 valve preamp and hot-rodded h/phone amp, it is just so much fun to listen too while being different! And a lot less cabling and space taken up to boot. It seriously kicks butt down the bottom end, with both weight and taut focus, there is a visceral aspect to the R2R's amplifier which I really like, seemingly unfazed by anything at all. Love it for that. Value for money is outstanding for an all in one package and I'm a big fan of the build quality.
Since there is plenty of grunt to power the HE400S (they're still not that efficient, despite the 22 ohm impedance .. my 600 ohm HD540 Ref1s are still actually easier to drive initially) I switched between hi and lo gain and the difference now seems to much clearer between the two. Although you get a slightly punchier more dramatic sound with the gain on high, switching to low gain there is definitely a greater refinement and relaxation of the soundstage into a more open listening experience, the various instruments tend to spread out a little into their own space, where going back to high gain crams things up a bit and in last night's case, added a little cramping of the s/stage and a touch of coarseness to the treble. I preferred low gain with that album in particular. That visceral bass impact lessens only very slightly, yet retains the focused punchy tautness and detail, actually better balanced from top to bottom in some cases.
I couldn't hear such differentiation a month or two ago and now it's quite obvious after quite a few more hours on the R2R-11. The upgrades to the HE400S have allowed me to hear things more clearly now - the Ref1s are always brilliant, but it's the HE 400S I like with the R2R, a bit of a turnaround now that they have their much better cable, as if they are better driven now.

Mar 13, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #2,155 of 2,569
I perceived a wider soundstage with the R2R, yes. Thats my appreciation. Not much of a difference i have to say. As of THD distortion i could hear very clearly passages of solo basslines distorting. The NFB with best THD levels and filtering does not exhibit this behaviour. Clear and detailed perfect sound. Its a ****ing shame to hear distortions using an Audeze LCD2 headphones. Thats why i changed the amp. Overall it sounded awesome for the price point.

Mar 24, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #2,156 of 2,569
Sine R2R 11 does not have up sampler inside the dac section I have tried roon and player HD for very long time, well they gave better results than when playing without up sampler but still made my r2r 11 more like stigma dac in sound. I have tried audirvana+ for window 10 with up sampler, though schiit eitr, and the results is far more amazing than HDplayer or Roon. Very smooth extended treble, better sound-stage and imaging, and bass is weighty. Highly recommended if you think R2R11 lacks treble extension and specially if you use tidal/ or have your own library.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #2,158 of 2,569
I had the R2R11 and the NFB11.38 TcXo with 2018 LCD2. Although soundstage and overall organics of the sound was a bit better with the R2R11 i stayed with the 11.38. Best detail resolve and much better THD levels. No regrets.
Add audirvana plus to your R2R11 and you will have best of two worlds ! details and resolve, organic sound and sound-stage !

Mar 24, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #2,159 of 2,569
Sine R2R 11 does not have up sampler inside the dac section I have tried roon and player HD for very long time, well they gave better results than when playing without up sampler but still made my r2r 11 more like stigma dac in sound. I have tried audirvana+ for window 10 with up sampler, though schiit eitr, and the results is far more amazing than HDplayer or Roon. Very smooth extended treble, better sound-stage and imaging, and bass is weighty. Highly recommended if you think R2R11 lacks treble extension and specially if you use tidal/ or have your own library.

NOS in this case means Non-Over-Sampling.

Mar 24, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #2,160 of 2,569
Once changed from QP1R to the R2R11, the sound stage shrank immensely.. The ES9038Pro is like the Mercedes of sound stage.
Although I do love the sound stage of the R2R11, it's very intimate against a delta sigma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back