Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Jan 23, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #2,101 of 2,569
The amplification stage for both the R2R-11 and the NFB-11.28 are the same so they will both drive the LCD2 with similar ability. The DAC stage is where the differences are. If you listen to a lot of fast, up tempo music like EDM or metal... you will probably appreciate the snappier dynamics of the NFB more. If you ever wished your computer could sound more like a nice turntable setup, try the R2R.
I have found the HP stage of the R2R-11 to be almost Tube-like in sound quality, and as a Class-A amp you are getting all the goody. I use my R2R-11 as my HP amp, as I could not hear a difference than with my Vali-2 HP amp with a 6SN7 tube. Kingwa has made the sound warm and inviting--and this is without the "warm" jumpers. My two-pennies worth...

Jan 23, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #2,102 of 2,569
Tks popzeus for your explanation. Appreciate it.
I have gotten a denafrips dac. Its a pure dac. I just need an amp now. What would you recommend. Tks again.

No prob. Happy to offer my two cents! It all depends on how you prefer your sound. If you prefer a warmer tone, I’d go with the Audio-gd NFB-1 or the Massdrop LCX. There’s also the Monoprice Liquid Platinum if you are feeling the tubes. I’m a big fan of Cavalli and Audio-gd house sound, if you can’t tell. Even though the LCD2C is not a bright headphone, I’d probably go with one of the above amps.

Of course, no amp recommendation can go by without at least mentioning the THX AAA 789. People have called it neutral and transparent, which could read to some as a bit bright, but like with any pairing, it all depends on the DAC and headphones in your chain and your, uh, relationship with treble, since tone is such a subjective call. It specs incredibly well though, and it seems to audibly deliver on that spec sheet’s promise. I don’t know much about denafrips, so I have no idea what the tone of the analog signal is coming out of that DAC. It is a resistor ladder DAC though, so it has some of that tonality I’m sure.

One thing to note about these choices: the NFB and 789 have SE outputs that are almost as good as their balanced counterparts. I think the Cavalli amps tend to be designed around and favor the balanced circuit.

I have found the HP stage of the R2R-11 to be almost Tube-like in sound quality, and as a Class-A amp you are getting all the goody. I use my R2R-11 as my HP amp, as I could not hear a difference than with my Vali-2 HP amp with a 6SN7 tube. Kingwa has made the sound warm and inviting--and this is without the "warm" jumpers. My two-pennies worth...

That’s a good point. I’m not super familiar with tubes outside of a guitar amp context, but there is a smooth sweetness to the 11’s NOS sound that’s tube-like, with none of the hassle of tube rolling or wear & tear. I just made the vinyl analogy because it’s a more common touchstone.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #2,103 of 2,569
Hi popzeus
Really appreciates your recommendations..
I have returned the Ares Dac as its having handshake compatibility issues. As space is an issue I can only think of nfb11.28 or R2R. I am afraid of having handshake compatibility issues as R2R is also ladder sys as ares.
I am using A&K SR15 as dap connecting via micro USB to USB B to dac. Aroma A100 as amp via mini jack to rca dac.
I may hv an audition on Audiolab mdac+.
I also have a chord mojo.

Jan 25, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #2,104 of 2,569
I'm curious, @domho7, have you considered getting a DAP that doubles as a DAC for your desktop amp? Instead of using the DAP as a transport into a bigger DAC/amp combo? It just seems like a way to streamline the cost of gear you need to complete.

That said, I think resistor ladder DACs are worth the extra desktop space, so of course I'd recommend the R2R-11, R-1 (and NFB-1) or the R-28 if you're feeling really saucy. Pretty sure their DACs allow you to plug a phone or DAP into the rear USB port, but I don't know if that's with all models or only the few that offer the USB isolator upgrade. You'll have to confirm that with the company.

Jan 25, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #2,105 of 2,569

Comments like this make me want to do something crazy--buy the R2R-11 just to hear what people are talking about.

Do I need another NOS DAC? Hell, no. Do I need another HP amp? Again, hell no. I already own a DAC-19 & NOS 19 + multiple amps.

But this makes me curious, since I love NOS sound and know how great AGD combo units are for headphone power.

Jan 25, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #2,106 of 2,569
Hi popzeus
I emailed kingwa on my problems he replied

Dear Dom,
Yes I was say the issue may on the USB interface, the Amanero in the unit.
Kingwa

Kingwa did advice me to get dac base on xmos rather than Amanero

Jan 25, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #2,107 of 2,569
@PopZeus, forgive me for being so lazy--but have you heard any other NOS or multibit DACs in comparison to the R-1?

That's another DAC I obsess over for one reason that will seem evident, and another that won't:
  • I love the sound of the Audio GD NOS 19 (best DAC I've heard)
  • And the R-1 can output live signal simultaneously on 3 different outputs: if I bought one w/the ACSS output changed to RCA, it would be 2 X RCA output pairs + 1 XLR output pair. And believe it or not, I could use all of them.
It's insane to always want the next thing (and I always do)

Jan 25, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #2,108 of 2,569
@Pharmaboy, my multibit DAC knowledge is pretty shallow, tbh. I know the R2R-1 and 11 fairly well, because I own both. And I used to own the Mimby. Once i landed on this gear, I eased off on all the acquisitions. Unfortunately, I haven't been to a CanJam or any of the trade shows to sample any of the latest wares from DAC makers. I have no frame of reference for any other popular multibit DACs like the NOS 19, but I flippin' love my R2R-1. And because the R-1 and R-28 are iterations on the R2R's basic design, I don't feel dishonest recommending them.

The big feature for me is the switchable NOS modes on the R-1. Opening up the DAC and moving jumpers around the board is not my favorite activity, so I really am into the idea that the front panel can offer the UI for all the sound modes. Anyways, the R2R-1 is an incredible piece of gear, imho.You should just buy it right now. Then I can live vicariously through your GAS. Haha.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #2,109 of 2,569
Comments like this make me want to do something crazy--buy the R2R-11 just to hear what people are talking about.

Do I need another NOS DAC? Hell, no. Do I need another HP amp? Again, hell no. I already own a DAC-19 & NOS 19 + multiple amps.

But this makes me curious since I love NOS sound and know how great AGD combo units are for headphone power.

I was reviewing the Schiit Gumby at the time when the R2R-11 arrived, so I had an a/b reference, and Kingwa's $350USD unit punched well above its price-point. I found very similar to the Gungnir ($1249)
Then when I thought I had my headphones plugged into the Tube HP amp, but it was the R2R-11 I did some serious critical listening some well-know test tracks...and to be honest, it was a 50-50 coin flip.
If I had another person blindly switching, it would not have mattered. I was feeding the Mimby/Vali 2 Tube HP amp, and the R2R-11 with the same source so I was just going back and forth between the headphone jacks and Kingwa has achieved the Tube-buffer sound through headphones. (48-ohm ATH-AD500X HPs)

Jan 26, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #2,110 of 2,569
After Kingwa advice I finally took the plunge for NFB11.28, lets pray it arrives before the Chinese Lunar New Year so I have something to play with.

Hi owners NFB11.28 does it react to change of SQ when change of power cord. Tks,

Jan 27, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #2,111 of 2,569
After Kingwa advice I finally took the plunge for NFB11.28, let's pray it arrives before the Chinese Lunar New Year so I have something to play with.

Hi, owners, NFB11.28 does it react to change of SQ when a change of power cord. Tks,
Happy New Year! I don't know if an upgraded power cord will make a significant difference with the sound quality. I have found that the gauge of the stock power cord has more of an impact than anything. I get the thickest wire in a power cord.

Jan 28, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #2,113 of 2,569
If you're looking to add a dedicated amp to an AIO, I'd go with a balanced amp. Otherwise, why bother? Either the NFB1 (maybe see how you like the 11 first) or the THX AAA 789 once the drop opens up.

Jan 28, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #2,114 of 2,569
Guys,

After almost a year I say farewell to this thread and Audio-gd R2R DAC owners. I sold my R2R-11 and bought a Singxer SDA-1 which does DSD without any problem up to DSD512.

So far so good. I really liked the R2R sound signature, provided by Kingwa, but this Singxer is pretty close to it in NOS mode, equals in SW PCM oversampling, and surpass the R2R-11 in any DSD mode. This feature alone secured the deal for me.

By the way, I always found the amp part somewhat underdeveloped compared to the DAC part of the unit. Don't take me wrong, it's an okay HP Amp, but both my DV336SE and Little Dot MK VI+ provide lusher and more enjoyable sound, especially with upgraded tubes.

Thanks for all the support, and see you in the future hopefully. I may come back to Audio-gd as soon as Kingwa provides a dedicated, problem free native DSD512 capable, balanced, NOS (at least), R2R DAC under 1000 USD/EUR.

Bye :)

MH

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #2,115 of 2,569
Hello everyone. I recently scored a NFB 11.38 TCXO and i'm quite very happy with it. Can someone inform me about the digital filter settings and how to set it for the best sound? I really dont know what each setting does. I have this options:

Fast roll-off, Linear:
Slow roll-off, Linear:
Fast roll-off, Minimum:
Slow roll-off, Minimum:
Fast roll-off, Apodizing:
Fast roll-off, Hybrid:
Brickwall filter:

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back