Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Feb 12, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #2,118 of 2,569
On computer end of USB cable. Search this thread for "5V pin". You need to put slim small piece of electrical tape onto the rightmost pin of USB 2 male connector as shown here. The idea behind it is to block power from entering the cable, as R2R11 uses its own power supply.

Thank you so much for this, man!!!
I did not hear any noise from the R2R-11 for a year, but after I connected a separate high-end amplifier to it, I began to hear a hiss and a slight buzz at a volume above average (in any of my headphones). If I disconnected the usb cable - hissing, the noise of the noise disappeared, an absolutely pure black background became.
I changed two usb cables until I saw your message. Oops - and it worked! Thank you so much !!
... Apparently, working from usb as a combo, the R2R-11 somehow muffles this noise from usb - and you don’t hear it - until you connect the R2R-11 as a DAC and a separate amplifier to it.
So I recommend it to everyone, just in case, no matter how you use your R2R-11 (as a combo or as a DAC) - do it! There is interference, just playing a combo, the R2R-11 somehow disguises them inside, with the help of its internal amplifier section.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #2,119 of 2,569
By the way.. it's a good practice to block the 5V pin on any usb cable with any dac.. tested on the Topping D30 as well as the R2R11, seems like all of the dacs can get a clean signal with a complete black background while blocking the 5v pin? why do we even need the 5v?

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #2,120 of 2,569
By the way.. it's a good practice to block the 5V pin on any usb cable with any dac.. tested on the Topping D30 as well as the R2R11, seems like all of the dacs can get a clean signal with a complete black background while blocking the 5v pin? why do we even need the 5v?
Many DACs will not work from data line only. So you have to try to know.

Feb 13, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #2,121 of 2,569

You are absolutely right!
I would recommend this to everyone who has a separate dedicated power supply (and does not use power from USB)

Feb 13, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #2,122 of 2,569
You are absolutely right!
I would recommend this to everyone who has a separate dedicated power supply (and does not use power from USB)
+1

Feb 20, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #2,123 of 2,569
Hi guys! How do you connect the device as a DAC to a separate amplifier - what do you choose: 1 Vrms or 2.5 Vrms ?
(as you now, the R2R-11 has two fixed levels of a linear signal (2.5 Vrms fixed output, hi-gain), and 1 Vrms (fixed output, low-gain).

Which signal is better to apply from the external DAC to the amplifier: 1 Vrms or 2.5 Vrms?

Feb 20, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #2,125 of 2,569
Hi guys! How do you connect the device as a DAC to a separate amplifier - what do you choose: 1 Vrms or 2.5 Vrms ?
(as you now, the R2R-11 has two fixed levels of a linear signal (2.5 Vrms fixed output, hi-gain), and 1 Vrms (fixed output, low-gain).

Which signal is better to apply from the external DAC to the amplifier: 1 Vrms or 2.5 Vrms?

More opinions of others on this?

Feb 20, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #2,127 of 2,569
I always seem to prefer the more dynamic and alive 2.5V setting, especially with a full size preamp. Otherwise, as FredA said, depending on mood and the following preamp/amp, whatever sounds best to you. It can depend on recording level and type of music too.

Feb 21, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #2,129 of 2,569

I have listened to both, and through headphones, the lo-gain setting sounds best, through the speaker system, the extra "umph" of high gain adds character to the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back