Audio-gd NFB-10SE Thread
Nov 10, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #77 of 199
I haven't read a direct comparison to the V181. The NFB-10SE impressions are posted in the main NFB-10 thread. oqvist did state that he would put the 10SE in the same category as the V200. Try posting your question there.

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #78 of 199
How does this compare to the Yulong D100, in particular to drive a Sennheiser HD650?

Nov 18, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #79 of 199
I have compared the Yulong D100 and NFB-12 and thought the DAC sections were similar but the NFB-12 had more power. So I imagine the NFB-10SE to be better in all aspects then. 

Build quality wise the Audio-gd was better.  The Yulong soldering was terrible and they left behind lots of flux all over the place. The USB jack on the one I listened to had cold solder joints on it and failed only after a few months.

Nov 18, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #80 of 199
Bad soldiering? Ouch. Yulong is out for me then, and it sounds like it's not even an upgrade from the NFB12. I'll probably stick to Audio-gd because the NFB 12 works great for me, it's just that my HD650 sound really dark with them (but I have no basis for comparison since it's my only DAC/amp). I'll probably stick with the NFB12 unless I decide to upgrade to the 10SE.

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #81 of 199

Quote:
Bad soldiering? Ouch. Yulong is out for me then, and it sounds like it's not even an upgrade from the NFB12. I'll probably stick to Audio-gd because the NFB 12 works great for me, it's just that my HD650 sound really dark with them (but I have no basis for comparison since it's my only DAC/amp). I'll probably stick with the NFB12 unless I decide to upgrade to the 10SE.

If you find the HD650's a little dark try a new cable (DIY or aftermarket) for them. When I swapped mine out for a nice DIY SPC balanced type that darkish nature was eliminated entirely. Granted the Senns 650 "house sound" tends to be a little dark or dry due to the voicing but some of that can be changed with a better cable for them. Good quality cables can be really affordable and do not have to be expensive especially if you have DIY skills.

Peete.

Nov 19, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #82 of 199
Most listeners tend to like one or the other re the HD600 & HD650. If the HD650 is too dark but you like the sound otherwise try the HD600.

Nov 19, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #83 of 199
It's not really so much darkness as it is blurry highs. If I suppress the highs on my SRH940 it's still very detailed and high quality, even though the quantity is reduced. The HD650 has superior bass and mids but the highs quality is lacking for some reason. I'm still not sure why, since other people don't say it's particularly lacking in quality, just less quantity (which I like).

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #84 of 199
Hi all, I'm very new to all things audio. I bought a pair of HE500s and want to run them balanced on a NFB10Se. But I have no idea what to request as options when ordering. DIR9001vs. WM.... Iam clueless. Low gain 7 or 10 or not at all. I really don't understand what cables I'll need going balanced either...can I buy them from Kingwa or should I get them elsewhere and have them xlr3 to he500 connectors terminated. Also, any recommendations on a digital connection as I'll be connecting to an iPod with a apples lossless formatted music. I'm reading and learning from the form bit by bit, but when ordering I need some guidance up front I'm afraid. Want to make sure I get what I need to get up front. Guidance? TIA... (right now I only have He500s and x10 items...I will mostly use the former on this, but am I right to think I should get the -7low gain option for use with the items?  

Nov 20, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #85 of 199
You don't really need to worry about any requests when using he500's.  It comes stock with a hi/low gain switch so requesting none really isn't an option.  The single and only thing the gain does is change where you are on the volume control for a given headphone - there is no need to ever even touch it if you don't need to. You can request the lower low-gain to help with sensitive phones.

Esp since you are new I wouldn't even bother changing the chip but you can always just order both (9001 etc).

The system is already completely balanced so there are no cables you have to worry about getting.  All you need is a ballanced he500 cable which isn't something you get from Kingwa.

Again, there is no digital output from an ipod and no stock way to connect a ipod to any AGD system (or almost all others) by digital.  Normally you'd have to buy yet another, and specifically designed DAC to do this, but almost all of them can't be connect to the -10.  You could use an iPure though, or just use your computer.  Ipods also can't output anything hires so if you ever want to use the full capability of the -10 DAC, you can't do that when using an ipod.  Granted you may never need or want to but the -10 plays 24/196 files so effortlessly it would be a shame to not take advantage of it. (but yes, you'll need specially mastered audio files to go hi-res)

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #86 of 199
Thanks for the reply.

You wrote, "Normally you'd have to buy yet another, and specifically designed DAC to do this, but almost all of them can't be connect to the -10."

Did you mean "can" be connected to the -10? I read the DAC on the 10se is quite good so I think I'd be happy with it and am just wondering what are low, middle and high priced digital ins from the iPod. I know the iPure is like a $100 option. What would be other (better) options... or, does this not matter so much for sound?

Finally, what are the balanced cable options with the 10SE... XLR and ?... and which might provide premium sound? Thanks.

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #87 of 199
No, I meant can't.  There may be some but I can't think of any ipod compatible DACs that have digital pass through.  I think the ipure is the only option.  It's actually dirt cheap compared to the competition.  Personally, I'd just use a computer and skip the ipod.

Balanced cables to do what with? To connect to what?

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #88 of 199
Nov 20, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #89 of 199
I have a -10 and the DAC is quite nice.  It's not quite as good as my -1 but the difference is probably not worth the money and I only really notice the difference with hires files which you wont be using so...this really is the best deal in headfi so I'm sure you'll be happy.

Nov 20, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #90 of 199

Quote:
This is going to be a bedside rig so the iPod will be the source.
For headphone cables I was looking at/considering these http://www.head-fi.org/t/577528/hifiman-series-moon-audio-silver-dragon-v3-cable

Do you have the 10SE? If so, how do you like the DAC?

TIA.

First- the main thread for the NFB10SE is in the Source thread, not here.

The iPod as source (unless you're using a transport that takes the digital source from the iPod to the digital input of the 10SE like a Wadia) is beyond overkill for the NFB10SE as an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back