Audio-gd NFB-10
Jan 28, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #466 of 2,860
For songs with bad recording quality, namely loudness war albums, I derive more enjoyment from my $300 sparrow than my $1000 dac9mk3. Also sometimes music is just too serious, so at times I get tired of my more hi-end gear and find low-end gear more pleasant and engaging.

Jan 28, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #467 of 2,860

Quote:
milosz said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm using the NFB-10ES on my HE-6, there's PLENTY of power.  

When people say you need speaker amps for the HE-6, they are kind of right in a way- you need an amp comfortably capable of around 2 watts into 50 ohms for full potential performance of the HE-6's.  Some might say 4 watts.  OK, I won't quibble over 3 dB.

But I bet if you connected a pair of speakers to the NFB-10 it would drive them just fine at moderately low levels.  It could rock your house pretty fair with a pair of Klipschorns! 

So, in a sense the NFB-10  IS a speaker amp-  it's just not built so that it could actually drive speakers properly.  Add a 3x bigger power supply and 5 times the heatsink area plus a little forced air cooling and you'd have a FINE  "speaker amp."  This is true for all the larger headphone amps.  Given a little more beef in the power supply and heatsink departments and they can drive speakers.  There are folks who use appropriately modified Beta 22's to drive high-efficiency speakers, for example.

x2. I also thought about the possibility of driving speakers with it doing so well on the HE-6.

Quote:
milosz said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Does anyone know if the output stage of the NFB-10 is Class A?  I assume it is, but.....

I could ask Audio-Gd  I suppose.

No. It is linear. See their Frequently Asked Questions page.

Quote:
PUGSTUB said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just got my 10Es and I must say I am a little disappointed in the sound. The highs sound real hot and shrill. Can anybody tell me if they will tame down with burn-in? My matrix Mini-i sounded better in the highs than this but I must say that I haven't really allowed it to burn-in yet. Thoughts?

That you're either using really compressed recordings (many of which still sound find imo) or you're using something terrible like MP3 files instead of lossless. Your problem of shrill highs does not exist for me.

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #469 of 2,860

Quote:
I think my problem is I was listening to internet radio. It seems to be a lot better with better source material

For putting no better than 192k compressed audio through a $800 rig and complaining about sound quality, you are officially beaten with a stick. 
atsmile.gif

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #470 of 2,860
Getting closer to pulling the trigger on this. My main concern is that it may be too analytical for my taste even if I go with the WM version as Kingwa suggested to match with my HD650. Why has everyone here elected to go with the ES despite the issues with that chip?

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #471 of 2,860
Hi,

Trying to find the correct "phase" for the powercable connection, I ask myself if Audio-GD (NfB-10Wm) locates the PHASE also on the right side when looking at the backpanel on the power input... I ask because I remark differences when "turning" the power cable, but am not sure which position is "correct" (yes, also for tranquility of my mind 
atsmile.gif
)

Thanks,

Dan

Jan 29, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #475 of 2,860

Quote:
Getting closer to pulling the trigger on this. My main concern is that it may be too analytical for my taste even if I go with the WM version as Kingwa suggested to match with my HD650. Why has everyone here elected to go with the ES despite the issues with that chip?

Because the ES9018 chip is reputed to be the most revealing DAC chip available today. It offers "instant thrill" the first moment you listen to a track, in whatever mood you are having. You can enjoy the "thrill" in the short 10mins before you get off to work, for example. I am one these types.

I do enjoy warm, lush music signature when I am in the "mood". But life is difficult and I find I scarely have the leisure laying back, zipping a glass of wine and listening to music for hours. Most of my music listening session at home is less than 30 mins.

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #477 of 2,860
Moarrr impressions Danutz
popcorn.gif

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #478 of 2,860
As said before, I am listening more on my Tannoy/Emitter speakersetup and am enjoying the new sound signature and burn in (verus my V-Dac)... More details, a little less warm, very clear... until now, a smaller soundstage, but more precise...

NFB10WM is very responsive to power cable and filterstation, with which I have been experiencing a little... So at the moment, no real interest in listening to headphones, as I am fully occupied with this great setup (headphoneamp is a great option, but of second importance at new arrival)... 

Tried D7000 and HD650 for a short/quick listen and I can say, you will not be disappointed... NFB10 brings them to life with good control and good treble, and lots of POWER

Where I am a little "disappointed" is that I can't hear a difference between cinch or sym. connection to my Emitteramp... I really wanted to get a balanced Dac, but could not detect the slightest difference in sound (perhaps, because the Emitter is no real balanced amp, only with balanced inputs... but I will test again after more burn in!)

That's all for the moment 
beerchug.gif

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #479 of 2,860
Encouraging to see good reviews of both ES and WM versions.

I'm interested in opinions on the value of ACSS and the DAC/amp components in their own right.

My expectation is that the cost of the unit should be considered pretty much 50-50 between DAC and amp. Is that true in this case?

I consider that I already have a reasonable amp (CK2III if it helps but I'm considering generalities). Is ACSS a worthwhile improvement even if the amp isn't much of an upgrade (and I'm not saying it isn't)?

I can't help thinking that the NFB10 offers a lot of features (including balanced) and that implies each component may not be much of a step up from (Audio-gd) entry level. I'd happily be corrected on that! And I have to say it does look good value for a complete balanced system.

Really, I don't intend to be disparaging, just trying to get a handle on where this units sits in quality and value. It may be that diminishing returns mean it holds its own against the standalone DACs.

Jan 30, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #480 of 2,860
When you don't need a balanced set-up or headphone out, and would prefer the WM version, than the NFB-2 seems a better option. Because of the better power supply. I've been hesitating for a long time now. I have a good preamp/headamp, and don't have a balanced power amp. But the relay based volume control is quite unique in this package. 

Anyway, this week I decided to order the NFB-2 and start experimenting with that first. I might later on decide to buy a new preamp/headamp to. But for now, one step at a time! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back