Audio-gd NFB-10
Feb 4, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #496 of 2,860
Yes, Pacific Valve still has some limited supply. The original version of NFB10ES has USB and AGD Roc chasis.
biggrin.gif

h
http://www.pacificvalve.us/AudiogdGallery.html

Quote:
Is there a usb version for the NFB10ES? 

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #499 of 2,860

Quote:

Does anyone know if the output stage of the NFB-10 is Class A?  I assume it is, but.....

I could ask Audio-Gd  I suppose.

somestranger26 replies:No. It is linear. See their Frequently Asked Questions page

??? That FAQ talks about the POWER SUPPLY.  I am curious about the AMPLIFIER output stage- the transistors that actually drive your headphones.  They can be Class A, Class AB, Class B or Class C - those are the defined "classes" of analog amplifier.  There is no amplifier class defined as "linear."  (Class D, Class H, Class T  etc  are really not amplifier classes at all- they are different types of amplifiers altogether.)

FYI- The "linear amplifier" of CB and Ham radio is actually a Class C RF amplifier designed to amplify amplitude modulated or single-sideband modulated radio carriers- not at all related to anything in high-end audio gear.

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #500 of 2,860
Well the amplifier isn't class A anyway. If it was it would be advertised like Kingwa's class A amps (phoenix, c-2.1) and run a lot warmer. Also, I was under the impression that a class A output stage required a class A power supply so my previous answer should have already been adequate. There's no need to act like I'm an idiot when I'm answering your question.

Quote:

Quote:

Does anyone know if the output stage of the NFB-10 is Class A?  I assume it is, but.....

I could ask Audio-Gd  I suppose.

somestranger26 replies:No. It is linear. See their Frequently Asked Questions page

??? That FAQ talks about the POWER SUPPLY.  I am curious about the AMPLIFIER output stage- the transistors that actually drive your headphones.  They can be Class A, Class AB, Class B or Class C - those are the defined "classes" of analog amplifier.  There is no amplifier class defined as "linear."  (Class D, Class H, Class T  etc  are really not amplifier classes at all- they are different types of amplifiers altogether.)

FYI- The "linear amplifier" of CB and Ham radio is actually a Class C RF amplifier designed to amplify amplitude modulated or single-sideband modulated radio carriers- not at all related to anything in high-end audio gear.

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #501 of 2,860

Quote:
Is there a usb version for the NFB10ES? 

I thought they were all discontinued and was going to buy the Burson HA-160D until I went to check AmpCity's site and until a couple of days ago had +3 in stock. So of course I ordered one. Checking the page today the +3 has gone, but they claim they are still available to order.

I not going to believe it until my T1 is plugged in to one and there's a usb cable trailing out the back.

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #502 of 2,860
I am looking forward to improvements with burn-in. Do you also notice improvements with warm-up time? I had my first extended listening session yesterday (5+ hours, changing back and forth between speakers and headphones) and noticed a moderate improvement after a few hours - increased dynamics, less sterile, and more engaging and thus greater enjoyment.

Quote:

This sterility will probably go away with burn in. After about 100 hours I noticed the sound opened up even more and became more engaging with my speakers (no he-6 around to judge) and I agree rca out sounds great.

Feb 5, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #503 of 2,860
Audio-gd gear really likes to be left on... My REF7/Phoenix combo sounds at its best after it´s been on for at least a night. The difference compared to a cold boot is stunning.

Feb 5, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #506 of 2,860
Okay guys and gals, help me out here. I'm thinking of either the NFB--10WM or NFB-10ES. I will be driving a T1 as well as a LCD-2 (On the waiting list).
I have a variety of other phones as well, out of which my favorite is probably the Denon D7000.
My sources are a variety of flac files as well as mostly high quality mp3 files.
Any thoughts, suggestions?
thanks

Feb 5, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #507 of 2,860
That´s a tough question... The WM version should be slightly smoother and warmer, more forgiving and relaxed (closer to the R2R PCM1704UK sound according to Kingwa). The Sabre chip is pretty "hardcore", meaning very, very neutral and will extract every bit of detail in a recording. Since you sold the K701, and I see you have a HD 650 (T1 is a bit warm too), I think the WM version might be closer to your preference. But I´m purely speculating of course :) Both chips are used in many successful products, so they are both solid. Absolutely fantastic value, a balanced amp + high end DAC at less than 1k.

Also the Audio-gd Wolfson DAC´s have been reported here (in the NFB-12 thread) to have great synergy with Beyerdynamic headphones. Noone has tried them with LCD-2 here so far I think.

Feb 5, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #508 of 2,860
I've been running it 24/7 to burn in, but I always forgot to turn my DAC-19MK3 off after it was burnt in so the same will likely happen with NFB-10 (get left on all the time). I really don't know if there's a difference between cold and warm, you might have just happened to be listening while noticeable changes occurred with burn in. That seems to happen to me, I suddenly noticed a big difference after one of the nights I was burning it in.

Quote:
I am looking forward to improvements with burn-in. Do you also notice improvements with warm-up time? I had my first extended listening session yesterday (5+ hours, changing back and forth between speakers and headphones) and noticed a moderate improvement after a few hours - increased dynamics, less sterile, and more engaging and thus greater enjoyment.

Quote:

This sterility will probably go away with burn in. After about 100 hours I noticed the sound opened up even more and became more engaging with my speakers (no he-6 around to judge) and I agree rca out sounds great.

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #509 of 2,860
Well, I pulled the trigger and bought the NFB10ES usb version this weekend.
Surprisingly big, it's going get some looks in the workplace.

I have it driving my beloved smeggy thunderpants, single ended.

Initial impressions are good, very good. The high resolution clarity pairs very well with the warm, rich sound out of the modded fostex.
A beautiful match actually.

Will post more impressions when I've had the run of it for a few more days, but so far it sounds fantastic with everything I send through it, 24bit flac vinyl rips, 192-320 mp3's, electronica all the way through to classical, everything sound gorgeous and detailed with tight, three dimensional imaging and clean instrument separation.

Very happy

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #510 of 2,860

Quote:
Well, I pulled the trigger and bought the NFB10ES usb version this weekend.
Surprisingly big, it's going get some looks in the workplace.

I have it driving my beloved smeggy thunderpants, single ended.

Initial impressions are good, very good. The high resolution clarity pairs very well with the warm, rich sound out of the modded fostex.
A beautiful match actually.

Will post more impressions when I've had the run of it for a few more days, but so far it sounds fantastic with everything I send through it, 24bit flac vinyl rips, 192-320 mp3's, electronica all the way through to classical, everything sound gorgeous and detailed with tight, three dimensional imaging and clean instrument separation.

Very happy

did you seriously just say you got it the same week you bought it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back