Audio-gd NFB-10
Feb 10, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #526 of 2,860
OT:

Just wanted to play my Bonamassa Blu-ray on PC, but get only white noise... I can only choose between DTS-Stereo or DTS-5.1... I think my NFB10Wm can not handle DTS-signals... OH NO... I tried over USB and Spdif from my M-audio 2496 (which has DTS passtrough)

Any idea how I could solve the problem... should it be possible to get a sound... I use PowerDVD10

Thanks a lot,

Dan

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #527 of 2,860

Quote:
OT:

Just wanted to play my Bonamassa Blu-ray on PC, but get only white noise... I can only choose between DTS-Stereo or DTS-5.1... I think my NFB10Wm can not handle DTS-signals... OH NO... I tried over USB and Spdif from my M-audio 2496 (which has DTS passtrough)

Any idea how I could solve the problem... should it be possible to get a sound... I use PowerDVD10

Thanks a lot,

Dan

You may want to try this Potplayer instead: http://phpfusion.org/0r6/dl/potplayer%2Benglish.html

It is a Korean media player, it is supposed to be the best "unversal" media player available for Windows. It can convert pretty much everything to 2-ch stereo.

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #529 of 2,860
@Danutz 
You can also use mediaplayer classic even with dolby headphone plug-in for movies. Audio-gd's with good headphone+dolby headphone has definately better surround images than cheap 5.1 systems.

Feb 12, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #530 of 2,860
Ha ha  thanks for answering the question, but if you are answering the question with a guess based on mistaken assumptions I'm not sure that my response was out of line. If you don't have the technical background to answer the question, maybe just remaining silent would be a better plan. 

Class A amps do NOT "require" class A regulators in their power supplies. That's just silly.  Nelson Pass designs some of the most respected class A amplifiers in the world, and the highly-regarded "Aleph" series amps don't use ANY regulation in their power supplies, much less class A regulators.

>>...if it was it would be advertised like Kingwa's class A amps (phoenix, c-2.1) ...<<  Um, where is the Phoenix advertised as having Class A audio output stages?  I don't see "class A" used anywhere except when discussing power supply regulation.  So, that means the Phoenix is NOT advertised as having Class A audio outputs.

As far as "running a LOT warmer," this depends on what you mean by a LOT.  The output stages are rated at 14 watts or so.  That would mean, in class A, the output stage would be dissipating at least 14 watts.  There are 4 output devices per audio channel, so each device would be dissipating at least 3.5 watts; probably more like 4.5 watts in a real-world design.  4.5 watts is not enough heat to make those fairly large heatsinks HOT, just moderately warm. So, checking the temp of the heatsinks is not going to tell you if it's class A or not. 

There are two ways to tell if the NFB-10es output stage is class A:
  • Measure the bias current of the output transistors and compare that figure against data published by the transistor's manufacturer.
  • Ask Kingwa.

I have opted for (2.)  So, we'll see if he replies.

When I asked the question, I was thinking that there must be someone who had already asked Kingwa and knew the answer.

Quote:
Well the amplifier isn't class A anyway. If it was it would be advertised like Kingwa's class A amps (phoenix, c-2.1) and run a lot warmer. Also, I was under the impression that a class A output stage required a class A power supply so my previous answer should have already been adequate. There's no need to act like I'm an idiot when I'm answering your question.

Quote:

Quote:

Does anyone know if the output stage of the NFB-10 is Class A?  I assume it is, but.....

I could ask Audio-Gd  I suppose.

somestranger26 replies:No. It is linear. See their Frequently Asked Questions page

??? That FAQ talks about the POWER SUPPLY.  I am curious about the AMPLIFIER output stage- the transistors that actually drive your headphones.  They can be Class A, Class AB, Class B or Class C - those are the defined "classes" of analog amplifier.  There is no amplifier class defined as "linear."  (Class D, Class H, Class T  etc  are really not amplifier classes at all- they are different types of amplifiers altogether.)

FYI- The "linear amplifier" of CB and Ham radio is actually a Class C RF amplifier designed to amplify amplitude modulated or single-sideband modulated radio carriers- not at all related to anything in high-end audio gear.

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #531 of 2,860
Hi.

Has anybody here tried to use the NFB-10ES, DAC-out to feed an high fi/hi end-rig? I am waiting to get one of these with USB and my intentions is to use it both with headphones (HD650) and and dac-out.

I am greatful for any comment on this.

Thanks in advance,

/Jan

Feb 12, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #533 of 2,860
the Quote:
Originally Posted by milosz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

• Measure the bias current of the output transistors and compare that figure against data published by the transistor's manufacturer.
  • Ask Kingwa.

Prepare for disappointment. The NFB-10 is far too efficient for a class A design, but keep telling me I'm just making guesses and assumptions.

Feb 12, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #534 of 2,860
I own the WA6 headphone amp and like the sound of tubes at times.  How does the the NFB10-ES function as a DAC only to the WA6? I mean would the sound quality of the sabre chip degrade somewhat when using the NFB10-ES as a DAC?  TIA

Feb 12, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #535 of 2,860

Quote:
I own the WA6 headphone amp and like the sound of tubes at times.  How does the the NFB10-ES function as a DAC only to the WA6? I mean would the sound quality of the sabre chip degrade somewhat when using the NFB10-ES as a DAC?  TIA

It will still give you the neutral and highly detailed characteristics of the sabre chip. Using my NFB-10 with my receiver and speakers I noticed a sizable improvement upgrading from the $480 DAC-19MK3.

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #536 of 2,860
Thanks somestranger26.  I currently using the D4 Mamba as a DAC...should be a huge upgrade to the NFB10-ES. 

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #537 of 2,860
Hi again.

@audiofil: Thanks for answering. I just wonder how good the analog amplifierpart is, compared to other wellknown gear. The volumecontrol should degrade sound some even if it's a solid construction and in an earlier post one user mentioned it.I think somestranger26 have answered by the following:

"It will still give you the neutral and highly detailed characteristics of the sabre chip. Using my NFB-10 with my receiver and speakers I noticed a sizable improvement upgrading from the $480 DAC-19MK3."

Have anybody here tried to work with the signal from the ACSS-outlets and completely bypassed the analog part?

/Jan

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #538 of 2,860
ACSS is analogue, just the signal is in the current domain rather than voltage domain.

Feb 13, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #540 of 2,860
Kingwa has confirmed in an email that all audio stages in the NFB-10ES, including the diamond buffer output stage that drives the headphones, operate in Class A.  

So that answers THAT question.

Quote:
the Quote:
Originally Posted by milosz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

• Ask Kingwa.

Prepare for disappointment. The NFB-10 is far too efficient for a class A design, but keep telling me I'm just making guesses and assumptions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back