Audio-gd NFB-10
Feb 13, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #541 of 2,860
Wow! Looks like its the only balanced, class A amp/dac for under $1000 in the entire market. An unbeatable product as far as value for money is concerned. 

Feb 13, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #543 of 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaMo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@audiofil: Thanks for answering. I just wonder how good the analog amplifier part is, compared to other well known gear. The volume control should degrade sound some even if it's a solid construction and in an earlier post one user mentioned it. I think somestranger26 have answered by the following:

"It will still give you the neutral and highly detailed characteristics of the sabre chip. Using my NFB-10 with my receiver and speakers I noticed a sizable improvement upgrading from the $480 DAC-19MK3."

As DAC only the NFB-10ES is very good and I largely agree with what has been said about it. Very detailed, airy and quite neutral across the board.
The only other DAC I could compare with face to face was the DAC-19 DSP. 

In my Stax system the first listening tests favored the NFB by quite a margin.
As I've spent more and more time with it I came to realize it had two distinct advantages/differences over the DAC19 in this particular setup and there are a few nuances that must be noted.
First - NFB10 is a balanced unit and Staxes are balanced by nature, so it's natural they respond and benefit from that. NFB-10ES run single ended didn't sound nearly as good as balanced, or DAC19 for that matter. Second - the sound signature of the Omega2 is a bit on the dark side and the NFB-10ES is a bit more open and bright compared to DAC19. That gave me the impression it has better clarity and detail.

However I came rethink my position after further listening and upgrading the DSP module in my DAC19 (from v3 to v5)
The v5 DSP brings a new dimension to the sound and, as a whole, DAC19 feels to me as a step up in caliber.
In terms of technicalities both DACs are excellent and very close. Because of its sound signature I think NFB-10ES might heighten the impression of detail, but DAC19 is every bit as detailed.
However DAC19 clearly outperforms the NFB-10ES when it comes to musicality and PRAT. There is significantly more impact, liveliness, richness of tone and refinement in the DAC19's sound.
This doesn't detract anything from the NFB-10's qualities, on the contrary  - measuring so well against a similarly priced standalone DAC (DAC19 was 640$ + 150$ DSP upgrade) is an achievement.

On the other hand, as DAC/amp - this is where NFB-10 trully shines and makes it unique in its price range.
I have nothing else to compare with except the DAC19 + Matrix M-Stage (another highly regarded amp), but there is no denying of it's superiority.

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #544 of 2,860
Hi again.

@ audiofil: Thank You  for taking the time writing this comparison.It gives me a good picture of what I will get.

@ vrln: I agree about best value of  the NFB-10, -11 and  -12. I have ordered them all...One of each is more true ; )  

This is a bit of topic..but anyway..

For me Audio-gd is completely new and I "stumbled" over them just when the NFB-11 was withdrawn because of the USB-issues... I had been searching for a way to get the ES9018-chip and maybe work with it on my own despite it's tricky.

I ordered a NFB-12 at once (A dual wolfson-DAC for USD200 is outstanding!) and asked Kingwa if he could build me a NFB-11 even without the USB input... I was lucky.. He answered that he could build me the last one with USB.

After continued reading about users impressions I decided to add a NFB-10ES as well and now when AGD offer 30% off on the DI in combo w the 10ES i went for that. The ACSS-output is interesting to me... I have intentions to use that signal with my own amplifications..

So I am waiting for a few packages from AGD. I am sure I will be pleased with them all..

Thanks to all for sharing impressions. I think it's very good to get guidance that way.

Best regards

/Jan

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #545 of 2,860

Quote:
 The ACSS-output is interesting to me... I have intentions to use that signal with my own amplifications..

Now you got my attention
ksc75smile.gif

What kind of amp are you intending to use? Or is this something for the DIY forum?

Feb 14, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #547 of 2,860

@ middachten said:
"Now you got my attention
ksc75smile.gif

What kind of amp are you intending to use? Or is this something for the DIY forum?".

Yes this is mostly off topic.
The intention is to explore the signal and build a sufficient amplfication after my own preferences. I am sure Kingwa have done a terrific job but I just cannot resist....
As You read earlier in my former post I wanted to play with the ESS-chip and the NFB-10ES with ACSS gives me "ESS-chip-out". The fact that the NFB-10ES seems to give a fabulous result by listen to it with balanced headphones is a bonus for me. I will modify my HD650's

-How I will design and build the amplification..?  It depends..... As I understand the ES9018 give a very neutral signature and that is what I want to start with. I also use electrostatic loudspeakers because they are neutral as well. My skills are in the amplification area where I will "spice it up" to a my preferences.
I am sorry I can't give You any more specific answer... And to be honest ...For me the fun part with is explore, decide, design based on facts from the exploringphase...and finally to make it happend.

It very rewarding. 

/Jan

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #548 of 2,860
Hi,

I use my NFB10WM with cinch (RCA) to my Emitteramp: I also tried XLR from Dac to Amp, but the Emitter sounds much better with cinch, as this is a Direct-Input (without relais)... XLR will be transformed to unbalanced, as Emiiter is not a real balanced Amp.

Now my question:

Will there be a sonic improvement, when using a "mixed" XLR/Cinch(RCA)-cable with: XLR-out from the Dac  entering the direct input (single-ended) of my Emitteramp? Or is this absolutely useless and I should not worry using the RCA-Outputs of my Dac?

Thanks,

Dan

Feb 15, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #549 of 2,860

Just finished two hours of switching between NFB-10ES and DAC-19 (purchased Dec'10) on a pair of balanced active Adam speakers. I agree with Audiofil's observations as to the character of both devices.

In 8 out of 10 songs we had more fun on it than on DAC-19. One very evident observation is that DAC-19 is out of the game when rhytm plays an important part. All kinds of step, drum, trance, electronic dance, hip-hop - NFB-10ES is a winner hands down. Even about half of jazz records we listened to benefit more from well defined rhytmics than from more realistic snares, better textures of acoustic guitars or deeper female vocals as on DAC-19. Male vocals and piano appear to be of similar quality. The only kind of music encountered where DAC-19 had a constant edge is baroque music on historical instruments and soprano coloratures.

And I believe that NFB-10ES is a more universal device. It does not sound thin, is pretty realistic and rich. But, if you are into rhytmics, better avoid DAC-19 - it throws charming, beautifully crafted sounds at you, but is like swimming in a lazily moving waters, at a constant and low speed. A perfect match for bedroom listening.

Feb 16, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #551 of 2,860
@melancholic

When did you order NFB-10ES USB with new chassis? They told me all new chassis NFB-10ES's are non USB.
confused.gif

Feb 16, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #553 of 2,860
New chassis have gain buton on front side. This small details can make some serrious differences in long term use.  I am glad to ordered that ones too.

Feb 16, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #554 of 2,860

Quote:
New chassis have gain buton on front side. This small details can make some serrious differences in long term use.  I am glad to ordered that ones too.

There is little hassle in reaching behind it to adjust the gain, the switch is easy to feel for. How often do you change the gain anyway that it would make "serrious [sic] differences?"

Feb 17, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #555 of 2,860

Quote:
There is little hassle in reaching behind it to adjust the gain, the switch is easy to feel for. How often do you change the gain anyway that it would make "serrious [sic] differences?"

I would like to try gain button time by time (different songs, headphones etc.). That's my personal choice off course, some doesn't. And new chassis looks nicest compared to old one. If I will use it for years, that is important to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back