Audio-gd NFB-10
Jan 25, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #436 of 2,860

Quote:
I hope we can still order the NFb-10 with roc chassis for the discount.

@Danutz: yes it require lot of burning because it is fully discrete.

According to Audio-gd website, the 10% discount with the Roc chassis is no longer available.

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #437 of 2,860

Quote:

Quote:
I hope we can still order the NFb-10 with roc chassis for the discount.

@Danutz: yes it require lot of burning because it is fully discrete.

According to Audio-gd website, the 10% discount with the Roc chassis is no longer available.

Not like it matters really, if you order 2 pieces of gear you get an NFB-10 for $15 more in the correct chassis.

Jan 25, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #438 of 2,860
I would like to order the NFB-10ES version to drive my LCD-2 and D7000 due to their warm characteristics.  However, I need the USB input, so if I order the Digital Interface also and that would cover my USB problem right?

Sorry for the newbie question
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #440 of 2,860
I bought the NFB2 and received it about four weeks ago. I thought I wanted the Wolfson "sound" but on 1/3/2011 I put myself on pre-order list for LCD2. My love is running out on my D7000 and I want the LCD2 sound but want to "help" the highs.

Now I find myself wanting to go with NFB1ES to benefit from more treble of Sabre32 and also the balanced output.

I am wondering what I can do at this point. Does Audio-gd have a "trade -up program" or do I need to put the NFB2 for sale in the forums? Of course, I am now faced with decision on my amp also.

I have WA6SE (Sophia) and although I love the sound with my analog setup, I want to be able to run fully balanced with the LCD2. I am prepared to sell the WA6SE but am wondering what is the next logical step for purchasing balanced tube amp to get benefit of analog setup of TT with RSA Nighthawk, and also connect to NFB1ES?

For people that understand what there is to like with the analog side of my rig, can anyone advise what amp to consider to retain analog, and still benefit from NFB1ES?

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #441 of 2,860
Quote:
Does Audio-gd have a "trade -up program" or do I need to put the NFB2 for sale in the forums?

Is that serious or a troll?

Also this is the NFB10 thread not the NFB-1 thread...

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #442 of 2,860

Quote:

IMPRESSIONS:
  1. It seems to me that I hear and notice more treble from the NFB-10ES than the other stuff I've been listening to (Audio-GD  FUN off USB, Beta-22 & Cambridge DACMAGIC off SPDIF) However, I don't know that "brighter" quite describes my impression. It's not like there are "more" highs, but like the highs that are present "sparkle" more -  have a different, "sharpened" texture. Not "etched" -  the highs don't stand out in that "dry" sounding way that many listeners describe as "etched."  It's like sounds which are mostly in higher registers have more "separateness" from the rest of the mix- the treble component is not smeared into the general sound.  It's not like you EQ'd the treble -or cranked an old school treble knob. But I would say that the treble that is present seems more easily noticed.  Maybe this is all just my brain at work, expressing my expectations of treble emphasis based on what I've read.  I'll do some comparisons and try to compare apples to apples later on.  Let me sum up by saying: NFB-10ES does treble well.
  2. It seems I can hear details in the music in all registers - midrange details, treble details -  that I had not heard before.  Little things back in the mix seem to have become possible to pick out.
  3. The overall sound is a bit "juicy" somehow.  Maybe being able to hear certain previously obscure midrange details along with the fine structure of their treble overtones gives this impression? Juicy, but not "sweetened" like the euphonius coloration added by some tube gear.
  4. Bass seems tighter than other amps I've listened to.  This may be the result of balanced vs. single ended.  (This is my first balanced amp.)
  5. It seems possible there is a nice synergy with the treble performance of the NFB-10ES and the way treble is presented by the LCD-2.
  6. The NFB-10ES  is nicely made. VERY nicely made. Overkill, like the current-mode relay-based volume control,  is a good thing.  Good value for money, for absolute sure.

Your impressions are very similar to what I'm finding with my NFB10-ES and balanced LCD-2. Enjoy the burn in
smily_headphones1.gif

For hardtarget666 and greeny24 who are after LCD-2 and NFB10 impressions here's some more food for thought...

From my experience... the LCD-2's have amazing imaging. Each instrument is so clearly separate from the other and so detailed. It's more in a layered texture/timbre sense versus a left to right sense, as the LCD-2's don't have a particularly expansive soundstage. For example, when vocals + drums + guitar + bass + piano are playing simultaneously there is no blur in between them, its very easy to hear them individually in stunning detail. It makes listening quite an involving experience and I think its what milosz is describing as juicy. I believe the detail of the sabre chip really helps this effect as it was there to a lesser extent with my K702's (and I didn't notice it with the FUN + K702).

The above effect plus the detailed energetic bass of the LCD-2 is really what sets them apart for me. I've heard another person describe it as akin to having a subwoofer in your head, which I think is a good analogy if thought of in the best possible way and still providing a neutral frequency response of course.

One of the first things I noticed when I got my LCD-2's was how much less treble there was compared to my K702's, which have both a boosted treble and rolled off bass. It did take me a little while to get used to, but the LCD-2 frequency response is more natural for sure and I definitely prefer it now. I'm glad the NFB10ES isn't warm as I think that would be excessive with the LCD-2, for me at least.

hardtarget666 - what soundcard do you use for coax output?

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #443 of 2,860
Quote:
Quote:Somestranger26 will hopefully receive his NFB-10ES tomorrow if his tracking is right. He has a HE-6. I'm Waiting for his impression too before I pull the trigger.And just so you know it outputs 40W at 50Ω. I think it is going to drive the HE-6 just fine.

They shipped his equipment to the wrong address... looks like he wont have it till end of week or possibly later.

Also I already pulled the trigger on the NFB-10ES because I'm pretty sure it will drive the HE-6 and also because they "only had one power filter left" (which sounds like they are possibly going to discontinue it).

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #444 of 2,860

Quote:
Quote:
Does Audio-gd have a "trade -up program" or do I need to put the NFB2 for sale in the forums?

Is that serious or a troll?

Also this is the NFB10 thread not the NFB-1 thread...

Serious post, not trolling and how I made it here was in looking at Audio-gd site tonight reading about the NFB-1 there is a link on the product page to read about more info on NFB1 and it took me to this page. Not sure if they have a typo and perhaps I should have directed to a different site, but that's the story. As a matter of fact, here is the page I was on, you can see the link that took me here. So why am I talking about the NFB1 on your NFB10 thread, perhaps Kingwa knows...casue I do not. http://audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/NFB-1/NFB1EN.htm

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #445 of 2,860

Quote:
Hi haloxt,

Are you still waiting for your NFB10? Or have I missed a "post"... Mine is still trying to find his way home to me... already 40 days of endless wait 
L3000.gif

Cheers,

Dan

Hah, I really believed EMS lost my package, but checked my package status this morning and it actually updated. Hope your package is moving too, Danutz?

2010-12-04  10:11:00 GUANGZHOU Despatch from Sorting Center 
2011-01-25  19:50:00 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA USJFKA Arrival at Sorting Center 

Jan 26, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #446 of 2,860
@ Wulvy & milosz - Thanks for your LCD-2 impressions. I've pre-ordered the LCD-2
atsmile.gif

Quote:
hardtarget666 - what soundcard do you use for coax output?

I'm running it off the built-in sound card from the motherboard. Its a Realtek ACL889 and the motherboard is Gigabyte X58A-UD3R. Don't know if a stand alone sound card will improve things in this case.

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #448 of 2,860
The AMP section of this thing is based on Roc or RocSA?
I suppose I't the SA version which means I should be "musical" sounding. This could explain the "juicy" sound.
With that treble it doesn't look like a good friend for the HE6.

Jan 27, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #449 of 2,860
The impressions of the NFB-10 and LCD-2s match that of mine with the Phoenix. They really "wake up" with the amp. The main thing with treble is a lack of distortion, especially apparent with the Phoenix and the HD-800s, which have a big peak at 6.3kHz.  With the LCD-2s, it is somewhere at or around 10kHz, where symbols usually are.  Especially with a lack of comparison, you'd wonder what all this talk is of them being "dark". This is especially funny considering people have describe Audio-gd gear as being "dark" too, probably as the power supplies filter out what I call the "haze" one gets throughout the treble with lesser amps, leaving what sounds like the music appearing out of blackness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back