Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9)
Aug 6, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #256 of 2,556
So @bimmer100

Do you consider the Master 11 to be your end game dac/amp? 
No one asked me but heck yes it is for me. Why? This crowd has some disposable income to spend. So I was very glad to be able to swing the Master 11. But for now, Money Thinks I'm Dead :D Will trade bad jokes for interconnects.
I ordered on July 31 and was quoted 10 days working time. I have found communication with Grace and Kingwa to be quick. I believe they ship from Hong Kong. I have found shipping from Hong Kong to be swift and reliable. In the past I have not been charged import duty. I hope that is the case with my Master 11.

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #257 of 2,556
  Nothing is overkill. Just for fun/laugh/boredom, I tried Apple's Earpods with my Master7+9(ultimate overkill?). Even with the mid range emphasis of the earpods. I was able to hear the beautiful r2r sound signature from it.

So, I just got another sheet of that 3M emi/rf absorber. I did something different this time.  I shielded all the outputs of the m11 from the transformers. The OCC wire is not shielded with more than the clear teflon or whatever it is. So I cut out a template that completely encases the volume knob all the way to the right of the M11 that completely encases the outputs and shields from potential Eddie Current from the transformers. I also covered a few more IC's this time, the ones on the analog stages too. all 4 opamps just because. and the 4chips that are on each of the gain stages too.

Before and After photos.

I cut several slits in the absorption film to slide it further down to the bottom of the chassis and around some wires that would otherwise stop it from being inserted to the very bottom of the chassis. It fits like a glove. :D

It maybe is is my head but i'm pretty damn sure it made an improvement this time. Before I didn't hear any improvement. This time seems to have actually improved the sound quality even more. Take what I say with a grain of salt. But I know for fact it didn't hurt the sound quality. I'm playing my favorite songs and like what i'm hearing. I will submit some photos tomorrow or in the next few days for those who may be curious. I was quick to put it back together and test. I had listened to about 4 songs multiple times before I did the modification and wanted to add the emi/rf film and quickly get back to testing to get a good impression of differences.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/644628O/3mtm-emi-emc-solutions-brochure.pdf

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #259 of 2,556
I'm now experimenting with a modded gustard u12 and a dhlabs silver hdmi cable, .5meter.
I'm going to give it 5 days to burn in and see. It sounds much better since the mod was done. The i2s chip was replaced to fix phase and l/r channel swap. It's compatible with audio-gd now!

The amanero I'm still sorting out a bug that i am pretty sure is coming from the schiit wyrd. But it works well with everything I've used it on except apple products and now this amanero. I will likely sell the two schiit wyrds I have. A USB regen Amber is on the way for tinker time.

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #260 of 2,556
@bimmer100

Let us know your take on the Gustard I2s vs Amanero comparsion. 

Also check this out, it's choke full of EMI/RFI Shielding materials:

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?pv98=84&FV=fff40036%2Cfff803b9&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=500

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #261 of 2,556
Can someone tell me more about the 7 seconds display go dark? how bright is it w/o this feature?
What kind of info is shown on the screen? anything one would need to be glancing at?

Thanks

Aug 7, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #262 of 2,556
Can someone tell me more about the 7 seconds display go dark? how bright is it w/o this feature?
What kind of info is shown on the screen? anything one would need to be glancing at?

Thanks

The display is actually not super bright so it's not offensive or like some devices with an LED Spotlight that burns your retinas. Example : schiit wyrd - bright white LEDs for indication

The audio-Gd display is just bright enough to be effective. Wel thought out. It mainly will show the function first, either preamp or headphone amp, and second alphanumeric will be high gain or low gain, then the first number will be the input, and the last two numbers will be volume.

I prefer all my amps to have the 7 sec go dark function. I don't NEED to see what settings I'm on when I'm in a listening session. Prefer all light to be s minimum: the display goes off except one pixel in the center stays lit to show the unit is on and functioning.

Just be sure you always mention you have the 7 sec go dark function if you ever do upgrades. Or if you're lucky, some new models have a jumper option that allows you to manually do it.

Aug 7, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #263 of 2,556
Prefer all light to be s minimum: the display goes off except one pixel in the center stays lit to show the unit is on and functioning.

Nit picking but I would have preferred a full black out.

Aug 7, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #265 of 2,556
When i emailed them about 7sec dark I was informed by Grace that The M11 had the auto dark setting inside, you can select it had the auto dark or always bright.

I got that confirmation too, that's this is a default feature now.

Aug 7, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #267 of 2,556
  Ten M11s shipped out on Aug 5-6. Mine hasn't shipped yet, but good to know the M11 is starting to catch on!

Yea, i noticed that too! crazy right?! the M11 is selling like crazy right now! as it should! it's a great amp/dac for the price. Impossibru to beat!

Aug 10, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #268 of 2,556
Master11 +6dB and HDMI ordered
biggrin.gif

I'll be very interested to see how it compares to my DAC19DSP..

thanks guys for ur input
beerchug.gif

Aug 10, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #269 of 2,556
Nice, welcome to the Master-11 owner in waiting club.

You cancelled our Yggy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back