Audio-GD Gear Delivered (FUN (A), DAC-19DSP, New C-2)...Let The Games Begin
Mar 22, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #61 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question in reference to ACSS. Believe me, I am trying to sort through all the many features of these products, but there are quite a few, so I am taking it all in stride...
wink.gif

When using ACSS, the gain feature on the C-2 is irrelevant?

I see it only works with the RCAs...Just want to confirm this is normal operating procedure...

Again, my apologies if I missed it somewhere, but there are many features to sort through....
beerchug.gif

Yes, I believe that the gain selection is bypassed when using the ACSS input. At least, it is what it says in their website : н¨ÍøÒ³ 1

Mar 22, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #62 of 114
Thanks very much slim...
beerchug.gif

LOL...There is so much info to sort through...I printed all the sheets for the products and I have spent most of my time sorting everything out with the FUN....

From your link....

Quote:

The C-2 functions:
Front plate:
Volume knob: Control the volume level of the headphone/pre amp.
Gain button: Push in for low gain (+13DB), out is high gain (+4DB). Only available while RCA input. ACSS input always setting at H gain without reference to the Gain button just for the best sound level .
Pre button: Push in for preamp output, out for headphone output.
Selector knob: Select input signal between 1(RCA) and 2(RCA) and 3(ACSS)

slim, going to see if I throw in the OPA earth in the FUN, per your suggestion to start burn-in on it. I have been running the FUN non-stop for several days. Your advice upon turning it off, the recommended time I should wait before opening it up and putting in the Earth?

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #63 of 114
It doesnt matter really, just dont burn yourself. Oh another thing, mine started running pretty hot one day and continued to do so for about 2 months. Then it stopped running so hot.

Also, when you change the OPA, you will have another burn in period to wait through. Less drastic than the first(but still the same amount of time), but there will be changes that will modify the sound.

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #64 of 114
Quote:

slim, going to see if I throw in the OPA earth in the FUN, per your suggestion to start burn-in on it. I have been running the FUN non-stop for several days. Your advice upon turning it off, the recommended time I should wait before opening it up and putting in the Earth?

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcer63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It doesnt matter really, just dont burn yourself. Oh another thing, mine started running pretty hot one day and continued to do so for about 2 months. Then it stopped running so hot.

Yes, arcer63 is right, it doesn't seem to matter how long you wait. A few seconds should be enough.
Also, I never had any temperature issue for the FUN. Even when left on 24/7, it barely gets warm to the touch. Weirdly enough, Audio-gd gear seem to perform/sound best when they are slightly warm to the touch (they don't sound that good when they are cold).

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #65 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by arcer63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, when you change the OPA, you will have another burn in period to wait through. Less drastic than the first(but still the same amount of time), but there will be changes that will modify the sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, arcer63 is right, it doesn't seem to matter how long you wait. A few seconds should be enough.
Also, I never had any temperature issue for the FUN. Even when left on 24/7, it barely gets warm to the touch. Weirdly enough, Audio-gd gear seem to perform/sound best when they are slightly warm to the touch (they don't sound that good when they are cold).

Thanks guys.....
beerchug.gif

Well, the first one I took out of the box was the OPA Moon. Well, everything is working and did not blow up...lol....So I guess all is well....Followed the instructions per the site (lead cable facing front and screwed it in where it indicated)...

Whether I am using the FUN with built-in headamp or connect another amp to it, it is still outputting via the OPA (DAC output)?

So many configs with all these new toys, just want to make sure I understand everything in relation to it. I have already starting taking all sorts of notes, so just want to make sure everything is on par...

Thanks again...

beerchug.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #66 of 114
Quote:

Whether I am using the FUN with built-in headamp or connect another amp to it, it is still outputting via the OPA (DAC output)?

Yes either way, you are going through the OPA.

However, there are 2 ways, to connect it to an external amp.
1. from the dac out: fixed volume control, straight DAC/opamp path
2. from the preamp out: variable volume control : DAC/Opamp/ACSS Gain/Buffer

You can try both. But in my case, the solution number 2 was the best way to connect it to an external amp. Everything was better : it was more transparent, more detailed, more dynamic and had a better soundstage. It was also more musical.

Mar 23, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #67 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes either way, you are going through the OPA.

However, there are 2 ways, to connect it to an external amp.
1. from the dac out: fixed volume control, straight DAC/opamp path
2. from the preamp out: variable volume control : DAC/Opamp/ACSS Gain/Buffer

You can try both. But in my case, the solution number 2 was the best way to connect it to an external amp. Everything was better : it was more transparent, more detailed, more dynamic and had a better soundstage. It was also more musical.

Excellent info....Thanks slim.a

Still a few days out from connecting an amp and trying it out, but great to know all the versatility this little (not so little..lol) black box gives.

From early listening with the OPA Moon, I can tell the Grados love it....
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #68 of 114
Quote:

Excellent info....Thanks slim.a

Still a few days out from connecting an amp and trying it out, but great to know all the versatility this little (not so little..lol) black box gives.

From early listening with the OPA Moon, I can tell the Grados love it....
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Mate don't forget testing the Grados A/B with both the FUN and the C-2,in case you've got a cheap DAC would want to know the symphony with the C-2

Mar 23, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #69 of 114
May be this question already answered in Fun thread but I couldn't find; Does Acss gain module effect on headphone out, or just effects on preamp function?

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #71 of 114
Quote:

Thanks guys.....
beerchug.gif

Well, the first one I took out of the box was the OPA Moon. Well, everything is working and did not blow up...lol....So I guess all is well....Followed the instructions per the site (lead cable facing front and screwed it in where it indicated)...

So many configs with all these new toys, just want to make sure I understand everything in relation to it. I have already starting taking all sorts of notes, so just want to make sure everything is on par...

Thanks again...

beerchug.gif

and it sounds great. Had been running ACSS.

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #72 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmychan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ACSS module effects on headphone out and preamp out as well.

I am highly recommend to take this module as it makes the FUN more fun.

Thanks
beerchug.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #74 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by aszental /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the fun have any problems powering a pair of HD650's?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mate don't forget testing the Grados A/B with both the FUN and the C-2,in case you've got a cheap DAC would want to know the symphony with the C-2

Well, switched the phones around while still in burn-in phase (RS-2 to C-2 (DAC-19) and the HD650s to the FUN. In the next couple of days hoping to set everything up and start all the comparisons.

aszental, like slim previously wrote, the HD650s have no problems whatsoever with the FUN and it drives them very well. Where volume is on "0" (7 o'clock position), on low gain I turn it up to 11-12 o'clock and on high gain 9-10 o'clock. The sound again is "full" and very musical. I thought the OPA Moon was going to be a bit much for the Senns, but again, it surprised me. This was with AVB's ASOT 2009. I'm really liking this OPA Moon..oh and the FUN is not too shabby either...lol....
beerchug.gif

@Kunal

Well, we knew the Grados would not be a problem driven by the C-2, but I'll admit, I prefer tubes for Grados. I don't know if it's the neutrality of these products, or the ACSS or this, that or whatever, but Grados rock with both the FUN and C-2. I'm running ACSS to DAC-19 with the C-2, but even with the FUN and OPA Moon the sound is very musical, non-fatiguing, a bit tubey sounding while it retains all the Grado love and clarity.

I know we all have our certain music to test out gear. When I want to check my Grados with certain amps to check the brightness, I throw on Theory Of A Deadman (Scars & Souvenirs). The guitars are really up front on that album and I can immediately tell if it's going to be a good experience or if my eyeballs are going to bleed...lol

That was not the case- again- non-fatiguing and very smooth and MUSICAL. So far, while burn-in, I have tried 4 phones with the FUN & C-2, DAC-19 (Ultrasone PRO550, HFI-2200, Grado RS-2 and Senn HD650s), all sound great and I find myself taking peeks that last for about an hour...lol

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back