Audio-GD Gear Delivered (FUN (A), DAC-19DSP, New C-2)...Let The Games Begin
Mar 5, 2010 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 114

HeatFan12

Headphoneus Supremus
Audio-GD products have me curious for a while now. You see threads "which is better, this DAC or that DAC".."DAC "A" smokes DAC "B" etc. I mean c'mon, are they running a 40yd dash? The DAC19 vs. DacMagic thread, for instance. Lots of good info from both fanclubs. So, curiosity has the best of me. IMO, a lot comes down to personal preference/flavors, rest of gear, music genres etc.

I have decided to take some time and evaluate several of my DACs (pros, cons, features, sound etc., pairing it with different amps and headphones, finding synergies etc....Keeping it within a reasonable amount of price differences.

I have no Audio-GD products and have recently been in contact with Kingwa and have to admit, communication is quick and precise. Awesome...

However, navigating the site is not a fun task and a lot of info everywhere.

This is what I have decided to pull the trigger on, but have a few questions.

If I want to move up the Audio-GD line, I have to see what it's all about first.

FUN (A)
DAC-19DSP
New C-2

The OPAs- are they really necessary and if you choose not to go with them, how is the sound?
ACSS- I want to pair and compare the New C-2 with the DAC-19DSP and the FUN. ACSS cable and RCAs? Does he sell the ACSS cable? Basically using the C-2 with both DACs (ACSS & RCA).

I'm going with the New C-2 because at the moment, I have two SS amps (KICAS (non-caliente), LDMKVII) the rest are tubes and hybrids. If the gear is all that, I'll jump to the ROC or Phoenix, no probs, but have to check on several things first.

The DACs I own that will be compared to are
DacMagic, LD DAC_I, Matrix Mini-i and V-DAC. Plus a variety of amps and headphones...I see good times ahead and it will be fun, once I decide on Audio-GD...

Thanks in advance...

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 114
I too took the jump to ROC. Should be here today or tomorrow. I was going to go with the new DAC he has coming for the ROC but went with the PS Audio DL III with the Cullen Stage 4 mods. I also had the DACMAGIC but just for a short period of time. I also have moved from the KICAS so will be able to give some information regarding the differences between these two amps anyway. In all my reviewing on this site reference the Audio GD products I have not seen any negative reviews or reports.

Good to hear you are going to try out some of their products. I will await your thoughts and reviews as you seem to do a pretty thorough job. Good luck.

Mar 5, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 114
My only suggestion is this....if you have decided on the C-2 you really should look no further than it's companion DAC the DAC19....now I would spend the extra for the DSP1 version but I'm sure the DF version will be equally impressive vs the DAC's you listed.

TBH the DACs you list are not in the same league in all aspects that matter. You'll have to hear it for yourself in order to truly understand the big jump it is over the other gear. I'm not saying the other gear is inferior or incapable of delivering a satisfying result but in terms of competing with the likes of the DAC19 ? PM Regal for a detailed critique of the MK III (19).

You will enjoy this combo (C-2/DAC19) for a long long time I'm willing to wager. The only advantage to moving up the ROC or Phoenix is to go from single ended to fully balanced which if done with the RE1/RE7 DAC reveals another level of refinement above the single ended siblings but those single ended siblings will give you a good share of it's bigger brother's performance. Confused yet ?
smily_headphones1.gif

I routinely enjoy the FUN but I would like to have the C-2/DAC19 DSP1 combo if I had the extra money for my comp/casual listening setup. I'm also a big tube amp nut but I've found the Audio-gd gear gets very close to the "tube" sound with none of the drawbacks. Is it exactly like tubes...no...no SS gear is but it's very good for SS designs. I know Audio-gd has kinda dominated the board the for a while now and I bet that has a lot of people put off by the FOTM label some are tagging the gear with and I'm partly responsible for carrying the Audio-gd flag but I would not endorse something that comes up short after the honeymoon period has worn off.

I love my gear just as much today as when it arrived, more so as time flies. I'm still as impressed with the RE1 and Phoenix as I was 7 months ago...and over a year ago now WRT the RE1. It is solid gear, period.

You'll not go wrong if you should decide to buy and you'll be able to sell it very quickly if you do not like what you hear but I'm wagering you will like it.

Peete.

Mar 5, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 114
I went from the V-DAC to the Reference-1 and that change was rather impressive- it's like listening to music (V-DAC) to being immersed in it (Ref-1). Peete is right- C-2 is not much worse than the Roc or Phoenix single ended. Going to balanced gives the real improvement offered by those amps (I had/have all three amps).
Negative postings of AGD gear sound quality are almost non-existent for a reason. I am definitely a fan-boy.

Mar 5, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 114
Loved the Ref-1 every minute I had it, and upgraded to the Ref-7 so I could take advantage of my Logitech Transporter's AES/EBU output. I have not heard any big name DACs that come close to these for anywhere near their price points.

The Phoenix is a great headphone amp and you will not find a balanced SS headphone amp that can compete with it for the price. I miss mine because while pretty neutral, it certainly has a pleasing flavor to it, but sold it to build a top notch Beta22 which is a better amp overall (more detail, greater dynamics, more transparent and refined) but at a significant price increase. Even the cheapest balanced Beta22 build will cost you a grand more than the Phoenix, unless you build it yourself.

Mar 6, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #9 of 114
I have a noob/stupid question. For Sennheiser HD-800 is DAC19DSP and C-2 setup good enough or they need something more expensive to get the best from them? At this price range you also can go with a Meier Audio setup.

Mar 6, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #10 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by soberspine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a noob/stupid question. For Sennheiser HD-800 is DAC19DSP and C-2 setup good enough or they need something more expensive to get the best from them? At this price range you also can go with a Meier Audio setup.

You can always get better. It depends what your definition of "good enough" is. You may be less picky than I.

Mar 6, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #12 of 114
Thanks very much guys for the input. Very helpful. I have to say, at least versatility and options are very evident with these products (inputs, outputs, ACSS, gains, pre-outs etc.). I'm already mentally matching components with my present gear and with the hopefully incoming Audio-GD.

I'm adding up my list with the three components from my opening post, three different OPAs for the FUN and the three different OPAs for the New C-2, Shark ACSS cables, shipping etc.....If I decide to pull the trigger, Kingwa is going to get a nice chunk of change from me...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey DTFan *cough* I mean HeatFan, looking forward to your impressions.

LOL...Absolutely don and you know the first umpteenthhundred hours, DT will be rocking the brand new gear...
beerchug.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #13 of 114
I have the C2 and DAC 19 DSP with HD650s and I am loving it. Kingwa threw in my ACSS cables. I bought the moon op for the RCA on the C2 but haven't even bothered to install it yet as I am so happy with CAST. I wish I could afford his upcoming CD7 transport.

Interesting I went ahead and stuck my Ety 4S/P IEMs in the C2 and was amazed with their sound. My next upgrade will be another set of cans versus components. The sound I discovered from my from my C2 > Ety's has me considering the pico slim and getting rid of my airhead.

HeatFan, I look forward to your impressions.

Mar 6, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #14 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks very much guys for the input. Very helpful. I have to say, at least versatility and options are very evident with these products (inputs, outputs, ACSS, gains, pre-outs etc.). I'm already mentally matching components with my present gear and with the hopefully incoming Audio-GD.

I'm adding up my list with the three components from my opening post, three different OPAs for the FUN and the three different OPAs for the New C-2, Shark ACSS cables, shipping etc.....If I decide to pull the trigger, Kingwa is going to get a nice chunk of change from me...

LOL...Absolutely don and you know the first umpteenthhundred hours, DT will be rocking the brand new gear...
beerchug.gif

If you're getting the dac19 why get the Fun at all? since you want to use the C2 amp anyways? Also when you hook the dac19 up to the c2 amp with acss you dont need the OPA's

Mar 6, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #15 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtntrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the C2 and DAC 19 DSP with HD650s and I am loving it. Kingwa threw in my ACSS cables. I bought the moon op for the RCA on the C2 but haven't even bothered to install it yet as I am so happy with CAST. I wish I could afford his upcoming CD7 transport.

Interesting I went ahead and stuck my Ety 4S/P IEMs in the C2 and was amazed with their sound. My next upgrade will be another set of cans versus components. The sound I discovered from my from my C2 > Ety's has me considering the pico slim and getting rid of my airhead.

HeatFan, I look forward to your impressions.

Thanks mtntrance,

Great to hear the C2 does well with a variety of phones. Seems like the C-2 and DAC19 are a great match and they complement each other well...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're getting the dac19 why get the Fun at all? since you want to use the C2 amp anyways? Also when you hook the dac19 up to the c2 amp with acss you dont need the OPA's

Great points Soup...

This is how it all started...lol

The FUN was first on my list and that was what I wanted to try first. The other "all in one" I have is the Matrix Mini-i.
Then the New C-2 and DAC19 caught my interest. With the versatility on these products, I can hook up different amps and DACs together to see their differences and see how they all scale. DAC19 & C-2 with ACSS, DacMagic & C-2 with RCA. With three inputs on the C-2, I can connect three DACs to it or connect my WA2 to the DAC19 via RCA and C-2 etc....Many options. I also want to try my various tube amps etc....Then it will be time to clean house and move some of my gear. I use my DACs and amps with my speaker rig and headphone rigs and move them around.

In reference to the HDAMs, if I get all three, I would have different flavors with different setups, instead of wondering "what about the earth" and ordering them at a later time. As you can see, I am putting a lot of faith on this gear, hence the order with all the tidbits. From what I have read and feedback I have received, I believe I have made the right choice. Most important, I'm really looking forward to evaluating all the gear together and separate and I believe I will have a good time doing so.
At the end of the day we have to enjoy it to the fullest....
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back