Audio-GD Gear Delivered (FUN (A), DAC-19DSP, New C-2)...Let The Games Begin
Mar 25, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #76 of 114
@HeatFan12,

My question is with regards to the C-2:

Does changing the OPA affect the sound output of the preamp section?????

I ask this because I would be using the preamp function just as much as the headphone amplifier section.

I am really curious as to if I could use the Single Moon OPA to give me a warmer sound signature but maintain the detail & accuracy of the DAC-19 and output this to my studio monitors.

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #77 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes either way, you are going through the OPA.

However, there are 2 ways, to connect it to an external amp.
1. from the dac out: fixed volume control, straight DAC/opamp path
2. from the preamp out: variable volume control : DAC/Opamp/ACSS Gain/Buffer

You can try both. But in my case, the solution number 2 was the best way to connect it to an external amp. Everything was better : it was more transparent, more detailed, more dynamic and had a better soundstage. It was also more musical.

I did a bunch of experimenting with this issue. Except I was running it to speakers and a tabletop radio/alarmclock (logitech z-5500 and denon S-52). I found, after much A/B testing, that the dac out was better for the denon and the preamp out was better for the z-5500.

This actually makes some sense, though. Because the Denon it is a much higher-end piece of equipment, and [hopefully] engineered better, it should be able to handle the line-level output well. With the z-5500, on the other hand, it would be better to have as much quality amplification going on outside of the speakers, and less inside them.

Also, dont be too worried if you dont like the sun with grados, I tried it with the HF2s and couldnt handle them. The sun is probably more fitting for HD650s.

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #78 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by sk3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@HeatFan12,

My question is with regards to the C-2:

Does changing the OPA affect the sound output of the preamp section?????

I ask this because I would be using the preamp function just as much as the headphone amplifier section.

I am really curious as to if I could use the Single Moon OPA to give me a warmer sound signature but maintain the detail & accuracy of the DAC-19 and output this to my studio monitors.

I recently received my gear and have just begun to experiment, but from the site it states "The OPAs only available by RCA input", in reference to the C-2.

EDIT (ADDED)- The OPAs affect the headphone out as well as the pre-out as long as you use the RCA inputs. When you use ACSS input then only ACSS. This is great (2 different sound sigs with no modifications)...

In the FUN, as slim stated and arcer63 quoted above, it runs through both.

Glad to see you are enjoying your new DAC.....
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcer63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did a bunch of experimenting with this issue. Except I was running it to speakers and a tabletop radio/alarmclock (logitech z-5500 and denon S-52). I found, after much A/B testing, that the dac out was better for the denon and the preamp out was better for the z-5500.

This actually makes some sense, though. Because the Denon it is a much higher-end piece of equipment, and [hopefully] engineered better, it should be able to handle the line-level output well. With the z-5500, on the other hand, it would be better to have as much quality amplification going on outside of the speakers, and less inside them.

Also, dont be too worried if you dont like the sun with grados, I tried it with the HF2s and couldnt handle them. The sun is probably more fitting for HD650s.

Great info arcer...Thanks

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #80 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was purchasing New C-2.
Kingwa asked me whether I wanted OPA, I don't know, what should I purchase, I presume take the standrad one, would that be fine.

Hi Kunal,

I ended up purchasing all three (Moon, Earth and Sun) because I will eventually use them all and it will add different flavors to the amp and figured save on shipping all at once. For now I have been using the C-2 stock and have not put any OPAs in and it sounds great.
In the FUN I have the OPA Moon and it has officially become my Grado OPA...
icon10.gif
....Love it with Grados...Hint of warmth yet very smooooth...

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #81 of 114
Quote:

Kingwa asked me whether I wanted OPA, I don't know, what should I purchase, I presume take the standrad one, would that be fine.

I would suggest purchasing all three to tailor the sound to your tastes. Its like having three different amplifiers.

You should buy them now and save on the shipping as HeatFan12 suggested!!!

I needed a pre-amplifier and I purchased the P-2. The biggest selling point was that there are 6 different modules to tailor the sounds to your needs. I couldnt resist, where else are you going to get products that give you so many flavors to choose from, and the modules are so inexpensive.

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #82 of 114
Quote:

Get the Earth. It's the most tonally complete amongst the 3 discrete op-amps.

Mar 29, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #84 of 114
Quote:

The Earth replaced by the standard would it cost me anything extra.

Yeah, you have to buy it separate. At least that's my understanding of it.

Mar 29, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #86 of 114
Quote:

The Earth replaced by the standard would it cost me anything extra.

Like jp_zer0 advised, the HDAMs (Moon, Earth, Sun) are extra. He does not install them in there, because during shipping they will probably pop out. Replacing them is fairly easy. At least with the FUN it was...
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I will get them when I order the DAC, will just get the standard one for now,I've heard its not bad.

The default op-amp (configuration) that it ships with is the OPA604 (pair). I will eventually try the HDAMs in there but have to say, the sound coming out of it stock is really impressive....
beyersmile.png

Mar 29, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #87 of 114
Quote:

You're going to get 19DSP or other Audio-gd DAC with ACSS-outputs (and use primarily it) later?

If yes and you would use RCA-input just to get a different sound color, I would probably get Moon, or Moon and Sun. Earth is already somewhat neutral (but not as much than the sound is supposedly via ACSS), so unless you're using primarily just RCA-inputs for listening, I would probably find it a bit dull to have since it would likely be too similar to sound via ACSS.

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #88 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhirc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're going to get 19DSP or other Audio-gd DAC with ACSS-outputs (and use primarily it) later?

If yes and you would use RCA-input just to get a different sound color, I would probably get Moon, or Moon and Sun. Earth is already somewhat neutral (but not as much than the sound is supposedly via ACSS), so unless you're using primarily just RCA-inputs for listening, I would probably find it a bit dull to have since it would likely be too similar to sound via ACSS.

Thanks mate, your views were precise
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back