Audio-GD Gear Delivered (FUN (A), DAC-19DSP, New C-2)...Let The Games Begin
Apr 2, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #91 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The default op-amp (configuration) that it ships with is the OPA604 (pair). I will eventually try the HDAMs in there but have to say, the sound coming out of it stock is really impressive....
beyersmile.png

Aren't you using ACSS though? Op-amps and HDAMs have no effect whatsoever on sound through ACSS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhirc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're going to get 19DSP or other Audio-gd DAC with ACSS-outputs (and use primarily it) later?

If yes and you would use RCA-input just to get a different sound color, I would probably get Moon, or Moon and Sun. Earth is already somewhat neutral (but not as much than the sound is supposedly via ACSS), so unless you're using primarily just RCA-inputs for listening, I would probably find it a bit dull to have since it would likely be too similar to sound via ACSS.

I would disagree. The Earth HDAM is slightly on the warm side of neutral, whereas ACSS is pretty much dead neutral (yet still very musical), so you've still got a different sound signature.

It all depends on your headphones, but personally I didn't like the Moon/Sun with my Grados, old D5000s, or HD650s (Moon was alright with Grados but I preferred Earth for sure). The Moon has a really artificial soundstage, and Sun is lacking soundstage. The Sun also causes any headphones that aren't laid back to be VERY bright, and the Moon made the Senns too laid back IMO.

The Earth is the safest bet for sure, because while it is slightly warm, it's not overly warm. It is by far the most tonally balanced and has the best soundstage of the 3. From a technical standpoint, it is the best HDAM.

Now given you MAY prefer the Moon/Sun with your cans in particular, but for me with either one you had to give up too much for the slight benefits they gave in different areas over the Earth, and with the Earth being a safe bet for awesome sound with any cans, is it worth $50 to try something that you may or may not prefer with your current cans, and probably won't use when you upgrade at all (I hated both the Sun and Moon with higher end cans than the 3 mentioned above).

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #92 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by burgunder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just subscribing to this thread as there's some pretty interesting gear in play here
smily_headphones1.gif

Started comparing already. Hopefully will start the thread this weekend...
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Jester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@HeatFan12
How do your Denons and Beyers sound through the DAC19+C2? Which HDAMs do you recommed with them? Thanks.

Unfortunately, the Beyers and Denons have not experienced the Audio-GD love YET.....This week has been crazy with work and no time. This weekend will have some time and I'll plug them in and give you a little rundown.

In reference to the HDAMs, as Necrolic stated below me (HDAMs are for RCAs not ACSS). I'm using the stock so far to try the RCAs. I also have it connected via ACSS to DAC19. I have all three but only swapped the Moon in the FUN so far and I think it is a great match for Grados. I also tried the Senns with it and was surprised that it was just a hint of warmth, but nothing that will overshadow them.
Again, this weekend with some time, I'll be moving things around and plugging in more headphones.

beerchug.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't you using ACSS though? Op-amps and HDAMs have no effect whatsoever on sound through ACSS.).

Correct. While burn-in I have RCA and ACSS going. Still with stock op-amp. Can't wait to try the Moon in there.

When it's all said and done, my final setup will be:

1) Dac-19 & C-2 (ACSS)
2) Dac-19 & Woo Audio WA2 (RCA)

3) C-2 (2 RCA inputs that are available will be used with two DACs, don't know which ones at the moment)...
beerchug.gif

Apr 3, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #93 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This weekend will have some time and I'll plug them in and give you a little rundown.

Awesome, keep us posted. I am currently looking into the AudioGD rig and I mainly use Denons and Beyers so I am all ears!

Apr 3, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #94 of 114
Quote:

Awesome, keep us posted. I am currently looking into the AudioGD rig and I mainly use Denons and Beyers so I am all ears!

Let me just say that the C2/DAC19DSP combo was FANTASTIC when connected through ACSS with my old D5000s, and very very good with RCA and Earth HDAMs as well.

ACSS is one of the most neutral and transparent setups I've heard, and definitely the best in it's price range from what I've heard. Of course stuff like the B22 outclasses it, but it has a VERY high bang for the buck quotient.

Being quite transparent, it does not effect the sound signature of your headphones much (or if your headphones are neutral, like HD800s or JH13s, it does not effect the music much at all), which lets them sound as they were designed to.

For example, the D5000s sounded lush, warm and musical through it, but very detailed with great separation and soundstage. The classic recessed mids and overwhelming bass was still present (there was actually more bass with this setup, although it was much tighter than with my old Compass so it was not as overwhelming).

So in short, it's great with Denons.

Apr 3, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #96 of 114
Quote:

Thanks Necrolic, Did you try any of the other OPAs?

I tried the Moon and Sun on my old Compass, as I said in the first post on this page I really didn't like them at all with any of my headphones in comparison to the Earth. The Moon was pretty good with Grados, but I still preferred the Earth.

Apr 3, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #97 of 114
Quote:

Well, as Necrolic advised the Denons sound fantastic with the C-2/DAC19. I tried my DT880s (250) and again, fantastic sound. I think I even noticed them a tad bit stronger on the low end (which I personally like) while it still keeps the details it is known for. This was with both RCAs (stock op-amp) and ACSS. No HDAMs (RCA) yet. If the stock config is sounding like this, I am in no hurry...
biggrin.gif

In my case, a little versatility with these products-

I purchased DAC-19DF/C-2 and the three HDAMs. This will give me five sound "flavors" (more than enough for a variety of headphones)- ACSS, RCAs (stock op-amp), Moon, Earth, Sun. Throw in a pre-out (C-2)(listening right now with my A5s), three inputs (C-2 & DAC19), two outputs (DAC19), hi, lo gain (C-2).

Couple all that functionality, with awesome sound, great build quality, great customer service and the first thing I'm asking myself upon hearing these products for a few weeks is- Why did I wait so long to try them out?...
confused.gif

Now, I'm going to see how they play together connected to other gear.

beerchug.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #99 of 114
Any Updates?

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #100 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by arcer63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any Updates?

Hi arcer,

I have sold it all. I did not like the black finish on the Audio-GD products.....

LOL...Just kidding of course...
beerchug.gif

I believe I will start the thread late tonight. Since this is going to be a bit time consuming, I have decided to do it as a "work in progress" as I compare two DACs, then the next two etc. and so forth. Place it in one thread and continue throughout and have all the info there.

I also got a little motivated since I am doing it in this fashion, I will throw into the mix 12 out of my 14 DACs. I am looking forward to this project and I believe I will have a great time in the process....
icon10.gif

I will post the link here when I start it, if anyone is interested.

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #102 of 114
seriously scared me

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #103 of 114
I lol'd
biggrin.gif
Anyway, now to decide out of a little DAC upgrade (Matrix Mini-i) or to go to the DAC-19 DF. If I were crazy (I only have a $150 Zero right now, so big jump), I would splurge on the DSP version OR the DAC-3SE. Now, the DAC-3 is said to be musical, not neutral, IMO, DACs should be very detailed and neutral, If you want to colour the sound, get a tube amp and/or use an EQ
smily_headphones1.gif
I really don't want to upgrade DAC again until I get some crazy cash flowing into my wallet
tongue.gif
Back where I begin, DAC-19 DF vs DAC-19 DSP
tongue.gif

I wish someone could compare DAC-19 DSP and DAC-3SE together..or have they?
biggrin.gif
The better of the two (for me) I would consider over the DAC-19 DF if I could get the cash easily. If I have to sell more things, stuff it
biggrin.gif
I will be using DT880 600ohm and Grado HF-2 btw. I am going to be using my MAD Ear+ HD and will use EQ if need be, so I should really be looking for the most detailed, revealing and neutral DAC I can get without spending an arm and a leg
smile.gif
. I doubt I will be able to afford a new DAC for several months, but it pays to plan ahead (quite literally). Looking forward to reading your comments HeatFan.

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #104 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I lol'd
biggrin.gif
Anyway, now to decide out of a little DAC upgrade (Matrix Mini-i) or to go to the DAC-19 DF. If I were crazy (I only have a $150 Zero right now, so big jump), I would splurge on the DSP version OR the Reference 3. Now, the Reference 3 is said to be musical, not neutral, IMO, DACs should be very detailed and neutral, If you want to colour the sound, get a tube amp and/or use an EQ
smily_headphones1.gif
I really don't want to upgrade DAC again until I get some crazy cash flowing into my wallet
tongue.gif
Back where I begin, DAC-19 DF vs DAC-19 DSP
tongue.gif

I wish someone could compare DAC-19 DSP and Ref 3 together..or have they?
biggrin.gif
The better of the two (for me) I would consider over the DAC-19 DF if I could get the cash easily. If I have to sell more things, stuff it
biggrin.gif
I will be using DT880 600ohm and Grado HF-2 btw. I am going to be using my MAD Ear+ HD and will use EQ if need be, so I should really be looking for the most detailed, revealing and neutral DAC I can get without spending an arm and a leg
smile.gif
. I doubt I will be able to afford a new DAC for several months, but it pays to plan ahead (quite literally). Looking forward to reading your comments HeatFan.

Ref-3 is not a DAC mate, DAC-19 DSP would definitely be worth getting, I will myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #105 of 114
Sorry lol, i constantly am getting confused. I meant the DAC-3SE
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back