Audio-gd Digital Interface
May 28, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #3,841 of 4,156
Quote:

I noticed a fairly welcome change in the soundstage, specifically that it widened and the location of instruments in that soundstage have more depth and separation compared to before. Certain songs like the opening theme from metal gear solid 2 actually sound correct and no longer overcompressed (not sure how that works, but it's the first time I've heard it played back and everything just sounded "right"). The quality of the bass (the texture of it) is also better as well as a less sharp treble, if that's what i'm hearing correctly. Sibilance seems a little less as well. 

In a nutshell I'd use the word layering to describe what this firmware did for me at least. Lots of delicious layers.

That was the first thing I notice was the sound stage, I also notice that the sound did improve else where as well.

May 28, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #3,842 of 4,156
Quote:

I noticed a fairly welcome change in the soundstage, specifically that it widened and the location of instruments in that soundstage have more depth and separation compared to before. Certain songs like the opening theme from metal gear solid 2 actually sound correct and no longer overcompressed (not sure how that works, but it's the first time I've heard it played back and everything just sounded "right"). The quality of the bass (the texture of it) is also better as well as a less sharp treble, if that's what i'm hearing correctly. Sibilance seems a little less as well. 

In a nutshell I'd use the word layering to describe what this firmware did for me at least. Lots of delicious layers.

Just interested if your DI was running in asynchronous mode with the previous drivers? My DI would previously run only in adaptive mode with the squeezebox Touch. I sold the Touch and I have now built my own server running on a stripped down Win 7 which the DI-V3 runs async for the first time and exhibits all of the qualities you have described above. I was wondering if you experienced this improvement over #3,#4 or#5 firmware in Async mode? 
Just by the way my server was built around an Asus AT4NM10T-I motherbd, Silverstone LC-19 case, SOtM tX-usbexp card, WD-1TB green HDD,
4GB ram,Win 7, JRiver Music server, Jremote.

May 28, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #3,843 of 4,156
Quote:
Just interested if your DI was running in asynchronous mode with the previous drivers? My DI would previously run only in adaptive mode with the squeezebox Touch. I sold the Touch and I have now built my own server running on a stripped down Win 7 which the DI-V3 runs async for the first time and exhibits all of the qualities you have described above. I was wondering if you experienced this improvement over #3,#4 or#5 firmware in Async mode? 
Just by the way my server was built around an Asus AT4NM10T-I motherbd, Silverstone LC-19 case, SOtM tX-usbexp card, WD-1TB green HDD,
4GB ram,Win 7, JRiver Music server, Jremote.

I don't have a DI-V3, but a Reference 10.32 with the DI-V3 built in (pretty much everything from audio-gd now uses usb-32). Same drivers everyone else is using but also a dac/hp amp/pre-amp. I'd tried to use firmware #3 on the spare firmware chip sent with my unit before, but it my computer wouldn't recognize it at all, so I went back to firmware #4 chip. When I went to firmware #7 I flashed it onto the non-functioning #3 driver chip because I figured if that didn't work I'd just stick with firmware #4. As for the software/driver versions I ran with success, I've used 1.22, 1.3, and now 2.0. 

As for asynch vs adaptive, after reading some threads I thought Kingwa commented that all firmwares were asynch. Maybe I read that wrong, but that was the impression I was under. Even if that's not true I have no idea which mode it's actually running in. As for the separation of instruments, it is definitely there on the previous drivers but what I'm hearing on #7 (for my setup at least) was a game changer in realism. Things sounded accurate and right, and there was plenty of separation with depth, but everything is much more defined on #7. To put in another set of words, everything sounds like bubbles floating around (when mixed that way) that pop and play the specific notes in time in a holographic dome. Even on complicated passages with multiple instruments playing literally everything is in it's own detailed little bubble, meaning you don't even have to think to listen to specific passages. Not only that, but everything just sort of "pops" as if it was the only thing playing. Each instrument is so detailed that each section could be it's own solo piece if everything else were to stop, but the thing is everything is playing at once. Parts of this explanation might be due to my specific setup however, but i'm hearing all these things after a simple driver update. I've never heard anything like it before this.

Based on reviews I've read on the DI-V3 beating audiophilleos and losing only to the berkeley alpha usb (google that for a price check), I believe that firmware #7 might have actually propelled the DI-V3 to or over the berkeley unit. Just from a free driver update. What the V3 has is great musicality but not as much detail as other usb boxes. Firmware #7 fixes that in my mind. 
atsmile.gif

(For the record, I'm running on a oc'd ivy bridge rig in a fractal design full tower case (because I almost can't hear it))
(Probably Final Edit: It's much easier to hear the differences on speakers over my denons at least. Not that I use my denons much anymore.)

May 28, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #3,844 of 4,156
Quote:

I don't have a DI-V3, but a Reference 10.32 with the DI-V3 built in (pretty much everything from audio-gd now uses usb-32). Same drivers everyone else is using but also a dac/hp amp/pre-amp. I'd tried to use firmware #3 on the spare firmware chip sent with my unit before, but it my computer wouldn't recognize it at all, so I went back to firmware #4 chip. When I went to firmware #7 I flashed it onto the non-functioning #3 driver chip because I figured if that didn't work I'd just stick with firmware #4. As for the software/driver versions I ran with success, I've used 1.22, 1.3, and now 2.0. 

As for asynch vs adaptive, after reading some threads I thought Kingwa commented that all firmwares were asynch. Maybe I read that wrong, but that was the impression I was under. Even if that's not true I have no idea which mode it's actually running in. As for the separation of instruments, it is definitely there on the previous drivers but what I'm hearing on #7 (for my setup at least) was a game changer in realism. Things sounded accurate and right, and there was plenty of separation with depth, but everything is much more defined on #7. To put in another set of words, everything sounds like bubbles floating around (when mixed that way) that pop and play the specific notes in time in a holographic dome. Even on complicated passages with multiple instruments playing literally everything is in it's own detailed little bubble, meaning you don't even have to think to listen to specific passages. Not only that, but everything just sort of "pops" as if it was the only thing playing. Each instrument is so detailed that each section could be it's own solo piece if everything else were to stop, but the thing is everything is playing at once. Parts of this explanation might be due to my specific setup however, but i'm hearing all these things after a simple driver update. I've never heard anything like it before this.

Based on reviews I've read on the DI-V3 beating audiophilleos and losing only to the berkeley alpha usb (google that for a price check), I believe that firmware #7 might have actually propelled the DI-V3 to or over the berkeley unit. Just from a free driver update. What the V3 has is great musicality but not as much detail as other usb boxes. Firmware #7 fixes that in my mind. 
atsmile.gif

(For the record, I'm running on a oc'd ivy bridge rig in a fractal design full tower case (because I almost can't hear it))
(Probably Final Edit: It's much easier to hear the differences on speakers over my denons at least. Not that I use my denons much anymore.)

Thanks a million for that, convinced me to flash it over #3 Firmware, I'm running #4 at the moment although it does sound great. It sounded great before I added the SOtM USB PCIexp
card. The card made it more spacious, and instruments more defined.
Kingwa Knows that some of the firmware did not work in asynch with the chipset in the Squeezebox Touch and is working on it.( One firmware didnt work at all and the other worked only in adaptive mode as identified on the Touch screen) I decided not to wait and made my own server, selling the touch.
I did not want to sell the DI-V3 as I thought it had great potential for the price.
For the record my server sends it to the DI-V3 >Metrum Octave DAC>Perreaux 350W Amp>Theophany M5 Speakers, I hand make all my interconnects.
Thanks again 

May 29, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #3,845 of 4,156
Hi all,

i'm thinking to buy a DI-V3. But i've only a Mac Mini with OSX MLion in my hifi rig ... Is here anybody who use a DI-V3 with latest OSX 10.8.x ? Is it stable and works flawlessly?

May 29, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #3,846 of 4,156
I am using a DI-V3 with a Mac Mini 2011 running OSX 10.8.X.  It is stable and works beautifully, but there is only one wart.  Its USB input is capable of 32 bit, and my audio midi seems to default to that.  The SPDF output is only 24 bit.  So to play through iTunes, I have to set the audio midi to 24 bit.  Normally I play through Audirvana Plus which now has a setting in the preferences to limit the output to 24 bit.  Once set, I don't have to think about it anymore: flawless.

May 29, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #3,847 of 4,156
Quote:
I am using a DI-V3 with a Mac Mini 2011 running OSX 10.8.X.  It is stable and works beautifully, but there is only one wart.  Its USB input is capable of 32 bit, and my audio midi seems to default to that.  The SPDF output is only 24 bit.  So to play through iTunes, I have to set the audio midi to 24 bit.  Normally I play through Audirvana Plus which now has a setting in the preferences to limit the output to 24 bit.  Once set, I don't have to think about it anymore: flawless.

Thanks!
wink.gif

May 30, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #3,849 of 4,156
Quote:
[size=small]SBT setting for the USB DAC connect , VIA engineers have confirm with Logitech .[/size]

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?94512-Announce-Enhanced-Digital-Output-app-USB-Dac-and-192k-Digital-Ouput

What did VIA confirm? Is there a new version of Enhanced Digital Output that work with USB-32 in async mode?

Last time I tried, neither firmware #4 nor #7 work with my SBT: I get choppy sound.

Firmware #3 works fine but in adaptive mode only.

May 31, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #3,850 of 4,156
Hi everybody...i'm new to this forum...

Yesterday after failed and "fried" the default FIRMWARE tring to update to firmware #7, i emailed  mr. Kingwa, and he answered me instantly,...and i meant INSTANTLY,..., and after 3- 4 emails with him...i've got the spare firmware updated to firmware #7 with not issues at all...., (more detail, wider soundstage and deeper bass). Probably the fastest client support ever!!...VIVA AUDIO GD!!

May 31, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #3,851 of 4,156
Quote:

atsmile.gif

Thanks again, I did flash the #7 FW on to the redundant chip and yes noticed all the characteristics you mentioned,  surprised but pleasantly so. I am using kernal streaming on Jriver, can't seem to get ASIO working, but can't imagine it would be better, this so much better than the Squeezebox Touch set-up I used to own, how did I put up with it for so long....perhaps it was great value..but. Happy listening. Oh Many Thanks to Mr Kingwa too, well done.

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #3,852 of 4,156
Quote:
Thanks again, I did flash the #7 FW on to the redundant chip and yes noticed all the characteristics you mentioned,  surprised but pleasantly so. I am using kernal streaming on Jriver, can't seem to get ASIO working, but can't imagine it would be better, this so much better than the Squeezebox Touch set-up I used to own, how did I put up with it for so long....perhaps it was great value..but. Happy listening. Oh Many Thanks to Mr Kingwa too, well done.

ASIO does seem to make the sound more "organic" in a word. Kernal Streaming sounds 2nd best, 3rd would be wasapi. Also, I switched to Jriver because I noticed an increased sense of depth that probably comes from the bit depth being upsampled and outputed at 32 bits. It locks it in as that for ASIO but you could set that manually for other modes (unless the recent update took that selection feature away). 

(I'd noticed the differences for ASIO when using foobar previously, when I was using no forms of upsampling)

Jun 4, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #3,853 of 4,156
How would you guys compare the DI-v3 with and without the dedicated PSU ? Without the PSU is it still comparable with the audiophilleos ?
Would also a good 3rd party linear PSU improve the DI-v3 ?

Thanks.

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #3,854 of 4,156
Quote:
How would you guys compare the DI-v3 with and without the dedicated PSU ? Without the PSU is it still comparable with the audiophilleos ?
Would also a good 3rd party linear PSU improve the DI-v3 ?

Thanks.

From my point of view the Audio-GD PSU made hardly a noticeable difference running with both V1 and V3, but in saying that I only tried with my old SBTouch based system, which was not as revealing as my present dedicated server set-up . I now run the V3 without the PSU and I'm really happy with it while running the new #7 firmware, it punches way above its weight. I am not familiar with the Audiophilleos though I did consider it before buying the V3, but I did not think it good value based on the reviews. Like it was 3X times the price too,  

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #3,855 of 4,156
[size=x-small]SBT update guide (test version) for download, had test succeed by VIA company , please consider the update risk or waiting some users finished test  then make the decide.[/size]
[size=x-small]We are advice who well know on the SBT and the firmware update to do this process, and feedback on here or send email to us.[/size]
[size=x-small]Thanks.[/size]
[size=x-small]Download the update guide for SBT[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back