Audio-gd Digital Interface
Jun 5, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #3,856 of 4,156
I just flashed FW #8 ( #7 version, tweaked for SBT + EDO ) and I can confirm that it's working in ASYNC mode with the SBT without any problems so far.

PS: I've also tested by switching back and forth between 16 / 44.1, 24 / 96 and 24 / 192 material and I didn't encounter any problems.

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #3,857 of 4,156
Quote:
I just flashed FW #8 ( #7 version, tweaked for SBT + EDO ) and I can confirm that it's working in ASYNC mode with the SBT without any problems so far.

PS: I've also tested by switching back and forth between 16 / 44.1, 24 / 96 and 24 / 192 material and I didn't encounter any problems.

So, there's a specific firmware after all!
I didn't see it in my Firmware package. I didn't see a note on Audio-GD website either...

I'll try firmware #8 then 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #3,858 of 4,156
Quote:
DI-V3S just received.

I switched connectors inside the DI to have current technolgy going through RCA instead of BNC.
This was not that easy as Audio-gd put some glue on the connectors to prevent them from unplugging during transport, but I managed to switch them.

As far as I can say right now, vs V1:

Far less treble peak than V1, very good point for me, annoying treble peaks are now gone, which makes sound much smoother on the highs with same level of details or even better. No more need to turn volume down sometimes now, what a relief. I finally can listen again to some records I found painful to hear.
A little more focus (a small veil has been lifted).
Slightly better tone accuracy.
Slightly higher frequency extension both sides and a bit more details.
Dark background, not much difference with the V1.
Overall, a decent upgrade and a really good sound. I enjoy it.

I'll report later after more burn-in but I don't think it'll change a lot as I never found huge differences before/after burn-in except for headphones.

I would also like to make use of the current technology, but my DAC only has RCA inputs. So is this a relatively easy mod once you deal with the glue? You just unplug the RCA connectors and plug them into the side offering current technology, no soldering required?

Also, would this solution be better than buying a cable such as the Mark Grant G1000HD Digital Coax BNC to Phono? This BNC-RCA cable is terminated with Canare ~75ohm RCA connectors at one end.

Jun 6, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #3,860 of 4,156
Quote:

So, there's a specific firmware after all!
I didn't see it in my Firmware package. I didn't see a note on Audio-GD website either...

I'll try firmware #8 then 
rolleyes.gif

And firmware #3 works like a charm! 
beerchug.gif

@Kingwa: you should make it clear in your SBT setup guide that the firmware #8 is required! I didn't even have it in the Firmware upgrade tool package I downloaded weeks ago.
You should rename the package with a specific name or date.

Thanks again!

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #3,862 of 4,156
I have a couple question regarding the USB-32 setup. Thanks in advance for any answers.

I am using firmware #7,driver 2.0. Windows 7 and J river. Everything installed correctly, I am getting 44.1, 96K, etc passthrough depending on source. Adjustments made in the Envy control panel show up in DAC's windows properties.

The only thing that seems strange is the windows volume slider still can control volume/mute. Is this correct? Other ASIO DAC's I have used lock that out. So it seems this is going through the windows control panel. I thought ASIO bypassed that completely? Is everyone else  having this or did I do something wrong?

I would like the volume slider to be inactive with ASIO

Also, I can set the Envy/ Audio GD control panel to 32 bit (as recommended in the manual for my unit, SA-1.32 w/DSP-1) But what should I set the sample rate? The highest file qualities I have? It seems no matter where I set that it still passes native resolution through to the DAC according to J river. Is there any advantage to setting it to 192/ 384k or ???

Thanks in advance.

BTW- the setup sounds great, I just want to make sure it's optimized and I'm getting the best out of it. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #3,863 of 4,156
About this question, I have discuss  several times with several engineers in VIA company from Shengzhen and Beijin through phones .

Their replied is the volume just relate of the driver or firmware software , the VIA chip built in the volume can control by computer .
I ask them if  remove the volume is good idea but they advice hold on the volume more convenient and  have not effect on sound quality.

The first two version drivers, one is have volume control, another is without volume, the different only on the firwmare , based on machines and audition, no different .

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #3,864 of 4,156
Quote:
About this question, I have discuss  several times with several engineers in VIA company from Shengzhen and Beijin through phones .

Their replied is the volume just relate of the driver or firmware software , the VIA chip built in the volume can control by computer .
I ask them if  remove the volume is good idea but they advice hold on the volume more convenient and  have not effect on sound quality.

The first two version drivers, one is have volume control, another is without volume, the different only on the firwmare , based on machines and audition, no different .

Thanks Kingwa for the response. I just wanted to make sure I had it installed correctly, and so it sounds like I do.

The firmware/driver combo works very well. It switches seamlessly between different sample rates, songs, etc. And has very low latency, very stable, and uses low system resources. Well done!

And it sounds great! Wonderful!

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #3,865 of 4,156
Quote:
People with the 8022 should try the new V1.2 firmware just released. I will do a comparo with this (in DI-V2 DSP) vs the USB32 (built-in NFB10SE) soon.

I'm very curious about this, please post your thoughts. I just bought a secondhand SA-1 with the 8802 interface and immediately upgraded it to USB-32. The 8802 V1.1 drivers were problematic for me when I tried it briefly. 

Jun 9, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #3,866 of 4,156
Quote:
I'm very curious about this, please post your thoughts. I just bought a secondhand SA-1 with the 8802 interface and immediately upgraded it to USB-32. The 8802 V1.1 drivers were problematic for me when I tried it briefly. 

It will be a few days- opened things up and accidentally dropped the old 8022 module (with the USB plug I needed) down my HVAC vent! I had to order some USB modules.

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #3,867 of 4,156
I have two unites they work just as good as my audiophileo . Anyway what is STB. Feature .

Thanks
Al D

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #3,869 of 4,156
I'm using the DI v3 with J River Media Center and I have issues. When using Wasapi event style, Kernel Streaming or Direct Sound  it randomly stops playing - the progress bar hangs at whatever position it's at and the music stops. I've tried Asio 4 all, it randomly drops out momentarily but then resumes playing on its own.

I thought I'd resolved the problem by uninstalling & reinstalling the driver as it worked for about 5 days... but now the problem's back again. Tried un/re-installing the driver again but the problem's immediately returned. I'm guessing this is a driver problem... anyone else have this issue or know a resolution?

System:
FW #7
Driver v2.0
Win7 x64

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #3,870 of 4,156
I finally got around to upgrading the firmware to #7 for my Master 7.  ASIO now works flawlessly.  I am running Windows 8 64bit with J River as my media player.  Sounds really good!  I am going to listen for a while before I make any comparisons.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back