Audio-gd Digital Interface
Jan 14, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #3,421 of 4,156
Quote:
My apologies to all who may have been waiting for my update. Been really busy on a shoot so hardly had time to have a propere listening session. Originally intended to give an impression of the DI-V3s against the DI-V1 in the DAC19DSP (with the PMD-100 mod as well as the DSP-1) and FUN.

Here's a quick note:

Details are much clearer. Low level details and especially ambiance of the recording are much in evidence. The DI-V1, even with the Tentlabs clock upgrade, is like heavy blanket covering the sonic perspective. The DI-V3s is like an open window. 

The initial warmth-like nature of the DI-V3 seems to have opened up. It's sound more neutral now. 

Instrumental timbres definitely have better body and textures. I can hear the cymbals as real cymbals, with a metallic body and a slight overhang in the air of the crash (for want of a better description). Piano and violin sound fantastic.  

I am using it with the DI-V1 PSU but powering through a Wireworld Starlight seems to seems to add a layer of warmth. Prefer it with the PSU. 

In Windows, Using driver version V1.20 gives me ASIO playback but V1.22 for some reason ASIO is playing but there's no sound from the DAC. Probably a DAC issue. WASAPI works great on all driver versions.

Works great in MAC. Although I have to switch it to 24 bit instead of 32 bit in the audio and Midi control panel before there's any sound from the DAC.

This is just a brief note as I am on a shoot and am writing this off as I remembered them. Hopefully I'll be able to provide a better description of my experience with the DI-V3s soon. So far, I am very happy with it and there are no issue with driver crashing or clicks or pops or drop-outs on my system. 

And yes, I definitely enjoyed listening to music streaming from my PC via the DI-V3s to the DAC19DSP. Real musicality.

Thank you for the review!

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #3,424 of 4,156
According to this list https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AqiK6WHnz5FHdEtlalVRb29pX3N2WXhfMlAzNmFMZnc it does ( it has the VIA VT1731 controller )

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #3,425 of 4,156
does anyone know if DI v3 works with Win8 and USB3.0 ?

as i don't have usb2.0 currently.

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #3,426 of 4,156
Quote:
According to this list https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AqiK6WHnz5FHdEtlalVRb29pX3N2WXhfMlAzNmFMZnc it does ( it has the VIA VT1731 controller )

Thanks! Kingwa told me yes but also told me to inquire in this forum.
Wow, I didn't know about this list. Well you can add the Stello DA100 Signature (AKM AK4395 chip) to that list 'cause I have one that works perfectly with EDO out of the SBT.

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #3,429 of 4,156
guys!
those of you who have DI v3 - could you please check how it works with USB3 ?
(i'm mostly interested in compatibility with Texas Instruments usb controller, but any info would be nice)

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #3,433 of 4,156
V3 sounds slightly better- seems to have a blacker background. Probably placebo. I still use my DSP TE8022 version for upsampling an old CD player via my little Fiio D03K dac. It adds air and depth to the sound at the cost of a slight brightness.

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #3,434 of 4,156
Quote:

In the notes column on this list it's mentioned that "kernel #4 working in asynchronous mode" meaning that for the EDO mod to work in async mode with the VT1731 chip you have to install kernel #4.
Anybody has an idea of how to get the kernel #4? Anyone tried this?

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #3,435 of 4,156
Quote:

In the notes column on this list it's mentioned that "kernel #4 working in asynchronous mode" meaning that for the EDO mod to work in async mode with the VT1731 chip you have to install kernel #4.
Anybody has an idea of how to get the kernel #4? Anyone tried this?

My new NFB-27 came with the firmware #4 already installed. It did not work properly with the Squeezebox Touch. I just got heavily distorted sound (as if the USB receiver was mixing data from left & right channels. Hard to describe but a total mess). I could get it to work only once on several trials and it stopped working after I turn the light off (which always stopped the playback for few seconds with this firmware!?).

I switched back to firmware #3 and everything works fine (the playback still stops when I turn the light off sometimes, but much less often :D)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back