Audio-gd Digital Interface
Jun 6, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #2,942 of 4,156
I think it means that the cables are designed with low impedance V+ and Ground conductors so that the NFB16 and DI are able to be powered properly from the USB port, and that if you wish to chose another cable to make sure the power conductors are up to the task or something.

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #2,943 of 4,156
Quote:
I received my DI-DSP-S + PSU today. I wanted it with custom green leds since my Naim equipment has green leds. I got it with green leds but unfortunately they are far from Naim-green. Very bright green, I have to figure a way to dim them.

Anyway the unit sounds fantastic. I come from DI v1 and it's a clear upgrade to that. I can find new nuances from records and the bass goes clearly deeper with more punch. One could once again say, "there's more of everything".

Are you using Windows? When evaluating are you using headphones or your speakers setup? Could you please unplug the PSU and see if that matters? Ever tried the Hiface2? :) A lot of questions I know but this thing is still pretty new... Thanks.

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #2,944 of 4,156
If you have problems with the installer, make sure you extracted it and not just double clicked the setup file.

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #2,946 of 4,156
Quote:
Are you using Windows? When evaluating are you using headphones or your speakers setup? Could you please unplug the PSU and see if that matters? Ever tried the Hiface2? :) A lot of questions I know but this thing is still pretty new... Thanks.

Windows 7 x64

Nowadays I mostly use my speaker setup. I still have HD600 with Cardas cable but they pretty much gather dust on the shelf. 

I haven't tried it without the PSU yet. I have no plans on using it without it so I don't really care. But I'll see if I have interest to compare the sound with and without PSU.

Yes, I have tried HiFace2. I borrowed one (BNC) some time ago from my local dealer. I directly compared it to Digital Interface V1. HiFace2 sounded good, clearly more bass than with DI but maybe even too much. In my opinion the sound wasn't in perfect balance. There was maybe little too much bass to my taste with HiFace2. Otherwise it extracted slightly more details than DI but DI sounded more balanced to my taste. Also I currently have a 5m Chord USB cable going from my computer to DI so Hiface2 would've needed new cabling. I already knew about DI-DSP so I decided to wait for it and I'm happy that I did. 

I would say that DI-DSP is closer to Hiface2 in sound than it is to DI v1. If I would have to compare DI-DSP to Hiface2 out of my memory, I'd say that DI-DSP takes everything little bit further. It gives better details and more balanced sound when Hiface2 clearly improved on low frequencies but I wasn't sure if I liked the rest. 

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #2,947 of 4,156
I got the Teralink-X2/X1 copper power cable, so I will mod it suit my polymer battery, and THEN the game is on :D

Jun 7, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #2,949 of 4,156
I've just received my DI-DSP today (standard clocks I believe) but unfortunately it's not playing well with my mac:
  1. It starts to play fine for 5 seconds or so but then transforms into an awful mess of distortion as if it can't keep with the flow of data.
  2. I tried both 44.1kHz and higher clock speeds, same problem.
  3. I tried to run through Pure Music and also directly through iTunes (selecting the device from the midi-list), same problem.
  4. Tried to reboot the computer, disconnect / wait / reconnect in pure music, same problem.
  5. Tried to disconnect / reconnect / restart the DAC, same problem.

I did not have any issue with the previous DI+PSU (BTW, I am powering the DI-DSP from the USB) and there is no way my quad-core MCP'11 can be the source, esp. at 44.1kHz. Anyone ran into these problems? I am running out of ideas on what to try.

Many thanks in advance,
arnaud

Edit: just checked the website and it seems like I need a custom driver for OSX, is that right? Then, it probably explains why it's not working right at the moment lol.

Jun 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #2,950 of 4,156
Ok, nevermind! Driver installed in 1 minutes, reboot in 15 seconds, playing through Pure Music like a charm...

Tried some DSD (converted to 176.4 PCM on the fly by PM), 176.4, 96, 88.2 and 44.1, no problem!

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #2,952 of 4,156
May be placebo but I can't take the headphones off my head! It's like, how to say, music is flowing nicely!!! I'll have to plug in the old one again to see how my mind is playing tricks here but it feels like every every instrument is very easy to pick up from the others and follow. Also, I am yet to run across a recording that sounds harsh through my stax rig (009) with this new DSP, I am playing through the library randomly so it may be just luck :wink:.

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #2,953 of 4,156
It made from no difference to a very subtle difference in my experience from the original DI.

Same experience with the DI v2 and a high quality polymer battery and cable.
Some pictures of the build process:

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #2,954 of 4,156
Listening from the Mac > DSP > Ref 7.1 as compared to the DX100 > Ref 7.1, the music seems to be presented differently. Via the DSP, there seems to be better instrument separation and depth. Vocals also seem to be more forward presented and natural. The DSP makes music sound more 'analog' (i.e. the audio gd house sound). However, I do note that background instruments seem softer / more distant while bass sounds less tight and less deep.

Still trying to put my head around the differences and I can't decide which transport I prefer at this point in time. From memory, I felt that the sound from the DX100 (as transport) was more engaging. Have yet to do a proper comparison.

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #2,955 of 4,156
Quote:
Windows 7 x64

Yes, I have tried HiFace2. I borrowed one (BNC) some time ago from my local dealer. I directly compared it to Digital Interface V1. HiFace2 sounded good, clearly more bass than with DI but maybe even too much. In my opinion the sound wasn't in perfect balance. There was

Thank you! So when you tried the Hiface2 there you used no usb cable(computer->hiface2->digital cable->dac), while for the DI you have very long USB cable? Doesn't this cable impact the performance of the decoder?
As for the PSU I'm only interested in the differences that you may hear in the first 60 seconds of one of your favorite songs. Maybe you can find the time for this after you will get used to the sound of the new DI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back