Audio-gd Digital Interface
Jun 5, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #2,926 of 4,156
Those orange boards are OPA Lead Extenders with a a filter cap.
http://audio-gd.com/Pro/diy/OPA/OPAEN.htm

The usb cable looks like a standard, tin-plated on the connector, and gold-plated on the contacts cable. It doesn't look fancy, but it probably has shielding and stuff.

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #2,927 of 4,156
i see that you've ordered an i2s extender too.
which DAC are you going to use it with and how will you connect it?
i'm mostly interested in experiments with cable lengths and materials - to see how much difference they will make.

(one of the reasons i've ordered the new DI was that i2s on it is easier to use than on the DI1)

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #2,928 of 4,156
I'm going to use the I2S out for a DIY TDA1541 DAC (not yet built).

I temporary connected the DI-V2 to my computer using my Wireworld Ultraviolet USB cable, feeding my heavily-modded Valab NOS DAC. I can clearly hear definite upgrade - highs and mids are more revealing and forward, mid-bass has more texture.

This is without the Polabs USB Isolator (ADUM4160), Li-Poly battery, Canare USB cable and an upgraded clock :)

Edit:

I'm just listening to Infected Mushroom - The Pretender (Foo Fighters cover) and so far this reveals the most differences. I can clearly hear sounds that wasn't there before.. small nuisances. Everything is much more forward. Bass is punchier.

Now for the "bad" things:

- I'm using foobar2k with WASAPI out plugin, and sometimes when I switch a song, it is stuck at 00:00 with no sound, or I hear some static noise. This didn't happen with my Valab's USB Interface.
Edit2: I didn't do a restart, so this might be the cause - but I'm to lazy to do so, maybe later, when excitement wears off :rolleyes:

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #2,930 of 4,156
This didn't happen with my Valab's USB Interface.

:rolleyes:
I also used my NFB-12 USB input (with the built-in dac, which I think is not as good as the valab), but the DI blows them both.

This is my first dedicated digital source interface I have, so my words are probably already familiar :wink:

Edit:

Once more, Nighwish - Nemo reveals much more details than before. I'm so happy! :D

Jun 5, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #2,931 of 4,156
Quote:
There is one bad thing though - Kingwa forgot to upgrade my clock to TCXO.
frown.gif

Just received my DI-DSP today. How can I tell if my DI-DSP has both clocks upgraded?

Jun 5, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #2,932 of 4,156
It can be seen on my last picture. You have to open the top cover and look for shiny metal rectangle / squares. If you have a square, it is the normal clock, if you have a more wide rectangle, you have the upgraded clock. The upgraded clock should also have "TCXO" imprinted on it.

Jun 5, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #2,933 of 4,156
also the usb cable doesn't seem to be "a higher quality cable" which was one of the reasons they had such a delay in shipping.

Yeah, sure. Convenient excuse for shipping the DI 3 weeks late (I could get 100,000 monoprice usb cables in 2 days). From Kingwa 3 days ago: "We are make more test before shipping so we shipping not much every day."

Jun 5, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #2,934 of 4,156
I received my DI-DSP-S + PSU today. I wanted it with custom green leds since my Naim equipment has green leds. I got it with green leds but unfortunately they are far from Naim-green. Very bright green, I have to figure a way to dim them.

Anyway the unit sounds fantastic. I come from DI v1 and it's a clear upgrade to that. I can find new nuances from records and the bass goes clearly deeper with more punch. One could once again say, "there's more of everything". I also tried with some 24/176 material and it played fine when using ASIO output. So my first impressions are very positive. I also opened my unit since LosNir wrote about forgotten upgrade clocks. Mine has two TCXO's, just as ordered.

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #2,935 of 4,156
Just received my DI-DSP and it isn't working on my desktop. When I go to Device Manager on Windows 7 x64, it detects it but it has this error, "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I've tried using other USB ports, and a USB hub, but to no avail. Sadly, I plugged it into my Macbook Pro and it instantly worked. Tried installing the TE8802 drivers, but that didn't work either. Any advice, anyone?

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #2,936 of 4,156
You probably have to re-install the drivers for the TE8802 again for the DI to work.

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #2,937 of 4,156
Quote:
You probably have to re-install the drivers for the TE8802 again for the DI to work.

When I use the driver setup that audio-gd has on their website, it always gives me an error. "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #2,938 of 4,156
Quote:

When I use the driver setup that audio-gd has on their website, it always gives me an error. "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

Please try to click the X64 driver to install.
The download files must unzip by RAR.
Customer can send email to us ask the drivers send through email.

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #2,939 of 4,156
Update for Linux/SBT users: Info Chiu from gfec replied!

He will probably send me a testing flash file, that shoud allow to make the audio-gd board with TE8802L on it Linux compatible.

I will let you know about the outcome as soon as I have the chance to test that all and to try to hook it up to my Squeezebox Touch.

Cheers

Jun 6, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #2,940 of 4,156
does anybody know what this info (from audio-gd site) is supposed to mean?

Quote:
Please note : The DI and NFB-16 stock USB cables are the custom order low impedance cable, if users only power supply by USB, before replace the USB cable please make sure the new cable had enough low impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back