Audio-gd Digital Interface
Jun 8, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #2,956 of 4,156
There is a great news for me and the old DI users. Kingwa said that he will post the old DI TE8022 modification guide tonight.

It is very nice of him since most manufacturers will force you to upgrade your gear in my opinion.

Jun 8, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #2,957 of 4,156
If anyone is considering a battery-powered DI, I recommend this one:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8578

This is the battery I'm using (see my last post), it is cheap ($12.99) and of very high quality. :)

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #2,959 of 4,156
Quote:
If anyone is considering a battery-powered DI, I recommend this one:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8578
This is the battery I'm using (see my last post), it is cheap ($12.99) and of very high quality.
smily_headphones1.gif

but you said that you didn't notice much difference

Jun 8, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #2,960 of 4,156
but you said that you didn't notice much difference

I personally didn't hear a significant difference, but that doesn't mean others won't. Also I didn't use it with a usb isolator, so this might be the "bottleneck".

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #2,962 of 4,156
Got mine yesterday, and to my ears, the DI-DSP is a definite step up from v1. The improvements were immediately noticeable, and I agree with a previous observation that there is better detail and separation. The highs are a bit more crisp and the bass goes a bit deeper with better punch. The ambient sounds are more fleshed out and I am hearing new things on tracks I have listened to many many times before.

For anyone who's curious, I couldn't get the olimex to work with the DI-DSP. I don't mind as the DI-DSP sounds better to me than the DI v1 with all the tweaks. I couldn't get the olimex working with async usb input of my antelope zodiac either, so I am not sure if galvanic isolaters are generally not compatible with async usb's.

Jun 8, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #2,963 of 4,156
Quote:
Got mine yesterday, and to my ears, the DI-DSP is a definite step up from v1. The improvements were immediately noticeable, and I agree with a previous observation that there is better detail and separation. The highs are a bit more crisp and the bass goes a bit deeper with better punch. The ambient sounds are more fleshed out and I am hearing new things on tracks I have listened to many many times before.

For anyone who's curious, I couldn't get the olimex to work with the DI-DSP. I don't mind as the DI-DSP sounds better to me than the DI v1 with all the tweaks. I couldn't get the olimex working with async usb input of my antelope zodiac either, so I am not sure if galvanic isolaters are generally not compatible with async usb's.

As far as I know isolators won't work with the HiFace 1 also -  but I think this might be due to drivers rather than asynch itself.  The AP2 apparently works with an isolator and that doesn't use drivers.  Not sure about XMOS based systems with Thescyon drivers.  Either way with the original DI I did not consider the OMILEX isolator an upgrade as it led to slightly reduced detail and focus.  My current philosophy is to put as little between the USB controller and the USB transport as possible (achieved with a PCOCC 7cm usb cable), and this has borne significantly improved focus, detail and timing, the exact opposite result from adding the OMILEX in my experience.

Jun 10, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #2,966 of 4,156
This battery type and price (at proper voltage) would be a good source for the NFB-16 for those getting that unit, so thanks.

Yeah, for people thinking about getting the DI-V2S, I recommend holding the purchase for a little while, so first impressions of the NFB-16 comes up, this might be a better deal. :)

Jun 10, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #2,967 of 4,156
Quote:
If you are using a CD transport and have a very revealing system, get the DI-DSP and power supply today! Enough said. It improved the sound of my Anedio D2! Every bit of jitter reduction helps. Regards

Do you mean using the DI-PSU as the power supply for the DSP? Some have said that using batteries sound better with the DSP.

Jun 10, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #2,968 of 4,156
Got my DI-DSP, DI-PSU, 2x TCXO. Sounds good. Async USB not working on SBT.

First impressions:

I have to precise, that I hook it between a Squeezebox Touch and a Reference 9 DAC from audio-gd:
SBT -> spdif -> DI-DSP -> spdif  -> RE9

So. I did not expect the difference to be extremely big. As Reference 9 already features a DSP1, that does, as far as I understand, a similar job as DSP 3.1. inside the DI-DSP.

First impression: a bit harsh. However, this could be a question of a bit of time until it gets breaked-in. Kingwa sais, that it makes an effect in particular on the clocks.

Bass appeard stronger and a bit tighter. But apart from that the differences were rather subtile as expected.

Then I set it to upsample to 96khz.

WHAT a difference on 44.1k -files! More detail, much tighter bass, much more "to the face" character of the sound. Trebles shrill, depending on the recording. Maybe just more revealing.

I will let it burn in a bit more, until I make more precise 1:1 comparisons with the DI-DSP in place and the direct connection to RE9.

HOWEVER: I tried to get async USB connection to work. That is, in fact, one of the main reasons I got the DI-DSP, because it has the TE8802L - USB - input. This might overcome some shortcomings of the spdif - output of the squeezebox touch.

It did not work. Althoug I got a test-firmware from the vendor of the TE8802L, that is supposed to make it Linux-compatible. It worked on 44.1k - files, but based on the log-outputs it suppose, that transfer was synchronous, not async. And higher resolution files crackled awefully. So I have to wait, until Tenor developps their firmware further for more compatiblity to Linux-platforms - in particular the SBT.

Cheers!

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #2,969 of 4,156
I hope someone with a DI V2 test if Integer mode works in the beta version of audirvana+ in lion.

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #2,970 of 4,156
What was the program for testing if the signal is async or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back