Audio-gd Digital Interface
Nov 2, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #887 of 4,156
He might have started using screws instead of hex screws to make it easier for people to open.  I think more useful would be some stick-on rubber feet being included as the small cases can end up scratching anything they are put on top of.    I received my PSU upgrade too. I shall experiment at some point. 

Nov 2, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #888 of 4,156

Quote:
He might have started using screws instead of hex screws to make it easier for people to open.  I think more useful would be some stick-on rubber feet being included as the small cases can end up scratching anything they are put on top of.    I received my PSU upgrade too. I shall experiment at some point. 

It is a pity if the hex screws have been superseded - it was a nice touch, IMO. Could not agree more about the rubber feet. What do you mean "PSU upgrade"?

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #890 of 4,156
Currawong, your suggestion of some feet is a handy idea.

I dont have any rubber feet lying around so I'll cut some squares out of the heap of .25in industrial foam tape I've got lying around (bought to stick on the bottom of my Woo headphone stand to stop them scratching my table). 

Quote:
It is a pity if the hex screws have been superseded - it was a nice touch, IMO. Could not agree more about the rubber feet. What do you mean "PSU upgrade"?

No hex screws for me, just these really cheap looking philips head ones. If they were black or a gunmetal colour I wouldnt complain.

Nov 2, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #891 of 4,156
I just received mine at the office!  I feel like its going to be a long day... 

I guess I need to find some feet to put under the unit.  Does it scratch up things pretty easily?

Nov 2, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #893 of 4,156
Nov 3, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #895 of 4,156

Quote:
regal said:

Has any one tested this unit for bitperfectness via DTS or HDCD tests ?

Quote:

I don't think so. I'm sure there are more than two of us interested in finding out.

Confirmed negative for DTS through Windows 7 audio device setup panel

Nov 3, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #897 of 4,156

Quote:
It can't play dts files? have you tried playing a dts file through foobar?

Haven't tried that. May be I should also try playing some DVDs later.

I did try playing some multi-channel 24bit/96kHz DVD audio in foobar and it does give sound. But I am not sure if the Foobar2000 DVD audio plug-in does any 2-ch down mixing.

I don't have an multi-channel AV amp to really test the DI's SPDIF out.

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #898 of 4,156
I got it set up in my system last night.  I first played my CD FLAC rips and my dac showed up with 44.1k.  After I downloaded head-fi album from HDtracks and my dac shows 96k just to confirm that it doesn't upsample anything from the DI.  I got the million and one jumpers that seems to ship with this but I am not going to do any upsampling yet.  Has anyone with the DI played with the jumpers/upsampling to hear the difference yet?  I might try that out if I have some time over the weekend. 

Nov 3, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #899 of 4,156

Quote:
Has anyone with the DI played with the jumpers/upsampling to hear the difference yet?  I might try that out if I have some time over the weekend. 

I have and a couple of other people here have used the upsampling.  I still prefer non-upsampled music, though the hardware upsample of the DI seems to provide a more distinct sound vs. software upsampling. What I noticed was trade off between separation, clarity, focus and soundstage.  To me the soundstage seemed to shrink, which would coincide with the gain in focus and clarity....because the soundstage shrank their seemed to be less separation as the soundstage seemed more congested.  As with all things audio YMMV, I suggest that if you are inclined too, try it and decide what suites you best.

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #900 of 4,156
Thanks for the reply Dynobot.  I agree that I prefer non-upsampled from the DI as I'm using it mainly as a USB->SPDIF device.  I am interested in hearing how it sounds, and like you said, I'll have to decide for myself which holds true in this hobby.  I'll give it a try when I have some free time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back