Audio-gd Digital Interface
Nov 4, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #916 of 4,156
What settings do you guys use in "handled output formats" for your device in win7?
I've just upgraded to win 7 64 and have found the sound on my jkeny HiFace to be quite horrible, smooth and not full compared to what I had previously with XP, with less dynamics and impact.

I'm using KS with winamp. I checked all the supported modes (44, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192KHz) in HiFace config window about supported modes, and picked 16 bits 44KHz.
I'll try with 44KHz checked only, and 24 bits 44Khz.
Other settings are : No recording device, do nothing (with incoming communications), no Windows sounds.

Nov 4, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #917 of 4,156
I did what you did but it seems to be the opposite.  As mentioned in previous post. 
* Make your intended device NOT default audio device (yes, NOT default)
* in Communication tab, choose "Do nothing"
* in Playback tab, double click your device, then UNCHECK everything underneath it (make Win7 just forget about our intended device)

Hope it helps.

Quote:
What settings do you guys use in "handled output formats" for your device in win7?
I've just upgraded to win 7 64 and have found the sound on my jkeny HiFace to be quite horrible, smooth and not full compared to what I had previously with XP, with less dynamics and impact.

I'm using KS with winamp. I checked all the supported modes (44, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192KHz) in HiFace config window about supported modes, and picked 16 bits 44KHz.
I'll try with 44KHz checked only, and 24 bits 44Khz.
Other settings are : No recording device, do nothing (with incoming communications), no Windows sounds.

Nov 4, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #918 of 4,156
Ok, I have these settings also, but HiFace is default device for me as I don't have other installed (though I could enable and install my Audigy sound card).
I unchecked everything in the playback modes.

Do you picked 16 bits 44KHz or 24 bits 44KHz (or something else?). And what about the two boxes under, for exclusive mode? I have both checked.

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #920 of 4,156
This afternoon I start to experience another problem.  The music will stop in the middle of play and I have seen error message pop out of taskbar informing me that the driver is not properly installed (or something similar).  I have switched to another 64-bit Win 7 machine and similar thing occurred.

I have mailed Kingwa for the issue since I have two machines showing the same problem.  And I have no problem with TeraLink-X.  We will see.

In the process of debugging, I switch back to Teralink-X.  But now my ear has been indulged by DI and can easily hear the difference. 

Quote:
Ok, I have these settings also, but HiFace is default device for me as I don't have other installed (though I could enable and install my Audigy sound card).

Do you picked 16 bits 44KHz or 24 bits 44KHz (or something else?). And what about the two boxes under, for exclusive mode? I have both checked.

Nov 4, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #921 of 4,156
Pacha, Windows 7 should come with "Speakers" as a device in the "Playback tab" as default if you had no audio devices. I don't know if you have it disabled but maybe right click to show all disabled devices or communication devices. 

Dukja, when I said to uncheck everything I meant to uncheck everything, even in the "Speakers" settings as well. Just uncheck everything in "Playback tab" aka supported formats and advanced -> exclusive modes.

I think I read that the DI uses the tenor chip that is compatible with the Teralink-X that also uses the tenor chip or something. There is suppose to be drivers for the tenor chip in the DI I think.

If you want to change the sound more to be even more accurate I discovered that foobar has settings that affect bitperfect too but I don't want to post anymore about settings in the DI thread. PM me or dukja if you want to know the foobar settings. Basically dealing with unchecking a lot of stuff as well and typing in numbers. Too many settings. I wish there is an article somewhere with all these instructions already.

Nov 5, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #922 of 4,156

Quote:

Hi Pacha

Are you asking about he DI or the modded HiFace?

USG

Nov 5, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #923 of 4,156
I have an idea that if Foobar is set up correctly on Windows 7 that the OS cant change the volume, channel balance or other weird stuff written above. The OS will either pass the bits unaltered or cut off any transmission. Ive found this with WASAPI. It gives me confidence when Windows cant mess with the PCM stream. If KS or ASIO doesnt incapacitate Windoze from modifying the PCM stream e.g by changing the volume I would imagine that the set up is sub-optimal?

Nov 5, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #924 of 4,156
Yes, Nada got it right. These are what I did to achieve bit-perfect using Foobar in Windows 7.

Step 1: Disable all Enhancements.

Step 2: Activate Exclusive Mode by ticking these two boxes.

Step 3: Set Foobar to use WASAPI and set buffer length to be as low as possible, preferably below 100ms. 

Step 4 (optional): Set Foobar to load your music files to RAM by double-clicking Full file buffering up to (kB) and entering a large value. Some camp believes that this reduces potential jitter and although I cannot tell any differences myself, this has an added bonus to give you a stutter-free playback during heavy network activities at the cost of a (very) short pause before playback starts.

Nov 5, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #925 of 4,156

Quote:
Hi Pacha

Are you asking about he DI or the modded HiFace?

USG

Modded HiFace, but I'm considering buying the DI so I'm interested in its settings as well.
Now that I hear report of crashes with two computers running 7 64 with the DI, I'm waiting other people to report or Kingwa to post a solution/explanation.

Nov 5, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #926 of 4,156
Well, I've just checked the two options for exclusive mode in the windows advanced tab, set to 16 bits 44KHz, everything unchecked in supported formats tab, all others options to disabled. However, I have no speakers or anything else than HiFace hence no speakers in a tab. Result : sound is like before again, at least more than before settings things properly. But I still find it a bit different. I'm going to check with foobar instead of winamp.
I checked afterwards if I could change volume and balance with windows but I can't so it seems fine on this point. When playing a track through winamp with KS I don't have any sound on the web so that looks normal here also.

I guess it's the options checked in supported formats tab and the rest of win 7 config which prevent bit perfect mode.

Edit : BTW, I read that some people found 7 sounding better than XP, but I don't find any difference now. Maybe because using WASAPI with foobar instead of ASIO or KS under XP, I don't know, but with the same KS plugin with winamp I don't find anything to be better. 

Nov 5, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #927 of 4,156
Quote:

Yes the DI does require some burning in time. I don't know how much but it requires some. At first the sound is very dull but it gets better after. As time passes by I noticed a lot more bass and the sound kept being bery transparent. The device like pretty much any other Audio-GD device is quite neutral. The imaging is a lot better on the DI than on the Hiface stock or jkeny mod.

What did you ended with in comparison with the jkeny HiFace? Better imaging, and : more bass (impact?), more transparency? What about the highs, and harshness?

Nov 5, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #928 of 4,156
Quote:
I have an idea that if Foobar is set up correctly on Windows 7 that the OS cant change the volume, channel balance or other weird stuff written above. The OS will either pass the bits unaltered or cut off any transmission. Ive found this with WASAPI. It gives me confidence when Windows cant mess with the PCM stream. If KS or ASIO doesnt incapacitate Windoze from modifying the PCM stream e.g by changing the volume I would imagine that the set up is sub-optimal?

Not really. 

If you use the WASAPI in the exclusive mode (check the Exclusive button at the Audio setting), The volume can be changed from the taskbar speaker icon.  But if I uncheck the Exclusive mode, Foobar does not play using WASAPI (error reported). 

If I use KS with Exclusive mode, volume can also be changed in Win 7.  But KS with unchecked exclusive mode can be played in Foobar and the volume setting under Win 7 has NO effect on play volume.

From what I read, Exclusive mode should be used but it allows volume to be controlled via OS.  So what do we do? 
rolleyes.gif
  KS seems to be better if we don't want OS mess up the volume.

Nov 5, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #929 of 4,156

Quote:
Modded HiFace, but I'm considering buying the DI so I'm interested in its settings as well.
Now that I hear report of crashes with two computers running 7 64 with the DI, I'm waiting other people to report or Kingwa to post a solution/explanation.

IC....

From the HiFace disk

Nov 5, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #930 of 4,156
USG, I use winamp, not foobar. But I've tried foobar this afternoon with these settings.

My settings for Winamp are :

BTW, I disabled sound icon in the tray, and even enabling it won't allow volume control with Windows, if I change volume setting with this icon, playback volume in Winamp doesn't change with HiFace in KS mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back