Audio-gd Digital Interface
Nov 7, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #947 of 4,156
Quote:
Same, doesn't make much sense.  Unless he is mistaking vibrations for a circuit which got ngrounded and is sending small volts of eletricity through parts of the case.  Has happened to be without ruining the device.

Possible. Next time I use the DI I'll measure it to see if there is any current. 

Nov 7, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #948 of 4,156

Quote:
I echo your sentiment regarding the DI sounding more transparent. From my short listen its imaging also appears better but bass appears to have slightly less impact. I only started using the DI this morning but I had it 'burning in' yesterday.

The DI requires some considerable burning in time. At first the sound is dull but the it opens up and you'll definetely hear a lot more bass. Give it a week or two and you'll enjoy what it can do.

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #950 of 4,156

Quote:

So you ended up with more bass than jkeny HiFace?

That I cannot confirm. It's been awhile since I've had the hiface.

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #952 of 4,156

Quote:

Possible. Next time I use the DI I'll measure it to see if there is any current. 

Just noticed all the typos, I must of been typing that up when I was half asleep or busy somewhere else.  Sorry for making it so painful to read
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #953 of 4,156

Quote:
That is definitely a concern....I wonder what could be vibrating inside.

Is there a transformer inside?

Quote:
The DI requires some considerable burning in time. At first the sound is dull but the it opens up and you'll definetely hear a lot more bass. Give it a week or two and you'll enjoy what it can do.

What needs to be burned in?   <---just asking.

USG

Nov 9, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #954 of 4,156
It supposedly does have a transformer based on the information on the device. (Quote A-GD DI site: [size=x-small]The Digital Interface applied a silver wires isolated transformer for insulate the ground noise between PC and the DAC[/size]) Though I can't really find it in the image, its probably hidden under one of those red caps.

Not really knowledgeable about these kinds of things though.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/USBface/DI3.jpg
Quote:

USG

Nov 9, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #955 of 4,156

Quote:
It supposedly does have a transformer based on the information on the device. (Quote A-GD DI site: [size=x-small]The Digital Interface applied a silver wires isolated transformer for insulate the ground noise between PC and the DAC[/size]) Though I can't really find it in the image, its probably hidden under one of those red caps.

Not really knowledgeable about these kinds of things though.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/USBface/DI3.jpg

I suppose the better question is why it hasn't been returned for exchange yet?

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #956 of 4,156
An hour ago I added a 7V 1A switching power supply to power the DI. No noticeable difference in sound quality through my NFB-1. But it seems to make the USB connection more stable

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #957 of 4,156

Quote:

USG

No transformer inside as far as I can tell. 

Break-In has to do with the stable state of both the conductors and the dielectric. 

Short version of Break-In:
1)Conductors of electricity are made up of atoms, each atom has a certain number of electrons in its valance shell.  Copper and Silver both have 1 electron in their valance shells.
2)When the atom is excited with electrical energy its outer most electron gets kicked out of its valance orbit into what is called a conduction band, this conduction band is where electricity is conducted.
3)Dielectrics also have a conduction band which is separated by a gap between the valance shell.
4)A certain amount of electrons will escape the conduction band of the metal and occupy the conduction band of the dielectric [this is why people are concerned about what material is being used to insulate wire]
5)Until the insulator builds up a significant amount of electrons in its conduction band Break-In has not occurred.
6)Once the insulator has a sufficient amount of electrons in its conduction band no further electrons are lost from the conductors "conduction-band" into the dieletrics "conduction-band" now Break-In has occurred

This is the principle behind AudioQuest DBS cables, they charge the dielectric so that its conduction bands energy is higher than the threshold of electrons escaping the wires conduction band.  What this does is essentially reduce break-in to practically nothing and the conductors are not influenced by the dielectric, which has a tendency to smear, slow and make electronics sound dull, dry and out of phase until break-in has occurred. 

Nov 9, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #958 of 4,156
I knew the principles you pointed out, as similar behaviour can be seen in computers' CPUs for instance. You summed up the things pretty well. Did you pick this up from somewhere or did you just write it directly from your knowledge? I hope those who still think break-in doesn't exist will think about it a bit more or try to elaborate with the same kind of reasoning if they want to discuss it with arguments.

Nov 9, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #959 of 4,156

Quote:
I knew the principles you pointed out, as similar behaviour can be seen in computers' CPUs for instance. You summed up the things pretty well. Did you pick this up from somewhere or did you just write it directly from your knowledge? I hope those who still think break-in doesn't exist will think about it a bit more or try to elaborate with the same kind of reasoning if they want to discuss it with arguments.

I picked up the knowledge from my organic chemistry background in college studying how atoms behave in relation to other elements. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back