Audio-gd Digital Interface
Oct 24, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #871 of 4,156
2.8V must be for RCA inputs (Yamaha integrated)..a balanced input should be min of 4V and likely for headroom's sake around 5.8V. Something isn't right...do you have another integrated amp you can test with or try the RCA outs of the NFB-1 and a RCA input on the Yamaha ? Ive tried my various A-gd peices of kit with a fair number of amps (both balanced and single ended) and none of them had preamp overload/clupping issues (being fed from the RE1's outputs, RCA/XLR).

Peete.

Oct 25, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #872 of 4,156

Quote:
2.8V must be for RCA inputs (Yamaha integrated)..a balanced input should be min of 4V and likely for headroom's sake around 5.8V. Something isn't right...do you have another integrated amp you can test with or try the RCA outs of the NFB-1 and a RCA input on the Yamaha ? Ive tried my various A-gd peices of kit with a fair number of amps (both balanced and single ended) and none of them had preamp overload/clupping issues (being fed from the RE1's outputs, RCA/XLR).

Peete.

I didn't mean it is the problem of the NFB-1. It is more of the problem of my A-S2000 amp as its XLR inputs are meant for its own CD-S2000 SACD player (i.e. not standard). It seems that the CD-S2000 XLR output aren't that hot.

I have both the service manual of the Yamaha amp and it still doesn't say whether 2.8V is for RCA or XLR. Base on my experience so far it seems to be for both.

I have fed the NFB-1 RCA output to my A1 clone headphone amp in the office and it was working fine with no clipping.

I think I will buy the TC Electric Level Pilot passive volume knob (http://www.tcelectronic.com/levelpilot.asp) . I like the Yamaha amp enough to keep using it.  The Audio-gd C500 is nice but it is too hugh in size. I once asked Kingwa wthether he would make a C250 but he wasn't interested

For the DI: I think it just does not like Foobar replay gain setting.

Oct 25, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #873 of 4,156

Quote:

I think I will buy the TC Electric Level Pilot passive volume knob (http://www.tcelectronic.com/levelpilot.asp) .

I have one, it works great...smooth precise volume adjustment with no degredation in sound.

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #874 of 4,156
Has anyone who was informed that they would be in stock/shipped on the 25th received anything yet?  I know its still the 25th but I'm sure there are a few here who are waiting and I just wanted to know if anyone has heard anything yet.

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #875 of 4,156

Quote:

I think I will buy the TC Electric Level Pilot passive volume knob (http://www.tcelectronic.com/levelpilot.asp) . I like the Yamaha amp enough to keep using it.  The Audio-gd C500 is nice but it is too hugh in size. I once asked Kingwa wthether he would make a C250 but he wasn't interested

Quote:
Dynobot said:

I have one, it works great...smooth precise volume adjustment with no degredation in sound.

I email Kingwa the circuit diagram of my Yamaha A-S2000 and asked him if the TC Level Pilot would cause sound degrade. He checked and told me there will be -3db at 500kHz if I add 3kohm to the input impedance (the Level Pilot is a 10kohm potential meter). Which is pretty neglegible. Kingwa said it would depend on whether there is a low pass filter at the output amp though.

Back to the DI, I still experience sound drop-off in the first 5 mins after Windows startup in Foobar. May be Windows was still busy loading things in the first 5 mins. Increasing the Foobar buffer to 300ms helps a bit. I hope the TC Level Pilot would come earlier so I can uncheck the replay gain in Foobar2000

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #876 of 4,156

Quote:

I email Kingwa the circuit diagram of my Yamaha A-S2000 and asked him if the TC Level Pilot would cause sound degrade. He checked and told me there will be -3db at 500kHz if I add 3kohm to the input impedance (the Level Pilot is a 10kohm potential meter). Which is pretty neglegible. Kingwa said it would depend on whether there is a low pass filter at the output amp though.

Oh well....I guess a -3db dip in Ultrasonic frequency [500khz] would be bad, but I can hardly hear past 20khz

-or-

Perhaps he was talking about 500hz.....which I doubt because a -3db dip at 500hz would be clearly audible.

Oct 28, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #877 of 4,156
Quote:
Has anyone who was informed that they would be in stock/shipped on the 25th received anything yet?  I know its still the 25th but I'm sure there are a few here who are waiting and I just wanted to know if anyone has heard anything yet.

I was informed a couple of hours ago that mine had just shipped (paid on October 6th).

Now to sell off the HiFace
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #878 of 4,156
I received the TC Electronic Level Pilot today. Finally I can stop relying on the replay gain of Foobar lowering the signal from my NFB-1 feeding to the XLR inputs of my Yamaha A-S2000 amp. Disabling the Foobar replay gain, going back to the Windows built-in TE-7022 driver, and setting the processor optimized for background process in Windows 7 finally get rid of the sound drop off issue.

For those who are interested in using the TC Level Pilot (a 10k ohm potentialmeter) or other forms of passive preamps, there is a calculator at www.dact.com (http://www.dact.com/html/ac_calculator.html) to show if the high frequency drop-off is within the audio frequency range. It is fortunate that my Yamaha amp has input imedenace of 47k ohm and built-in input capacitance of 100pF. So the TC Level Pilot won't affect the frequency response in the audio frequency range.

I am still using the DI with USB bus power. I find no audible difference from my NFB-1 using DI with USB bus power or an external 5V Lithium battery pack.

Finally I can get the NFB-1 to run at full potential. I think I shall post a review of the NFB-1 later next week.

Oct 29, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #879 of 4,156
I got my shipping confirmation last night too.  So hopefully it will arrive by the end of next week.  I don't know whats worse, waiting for it to ship and not knowing when its on its way, or knowing its on its way and not knowing when it will be here.. haha
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I was informed a couple of hours ago that mine had just shipped (paid on October 6th).

Now to sell off the HiFace
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #880 of 4,156
I got a big surprise today, my Audio GD DI arrived on my desk this morning without ANY notice from Audio GD, shipping or otherwise! FYI, I ordered it on October 18th and it was shipped on the 29th.
Everything looks fine, I'll be installing it tonight. Got the HiFace sold off as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #884 of 4,156
Quote:
I got a big surprise today, my Audio GD DI arrived on my desk this morning without ANY notice from Audio GD, shipping or otherwise! FYI, I ordered it on October 18th and it was shipped on the 29th.
Everything looks fine, I'll be installing it tonight. Got the HiFace sold off as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

I also got mine yesterday.

I dont really like the silver screws on the top of the unit... I might replace them with something nicer!

Nov 1, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #885 of 4,156
damnit.. I feel left out since mine didn't arrive yet.  It landed at the airport so hopefully it'll make its way to me tomorrow..  
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back