Audio-gd Digital Interface
Aug 5, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #331 of 4,156
I have to agree that a comparison review of both would probably be better suited to it's own thread.

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #332 of 4,156

Not going to argue your point but, it would make it more interesting.  Two in depth reviews, one an unknown quantity where the other is a well liked quantity.  Both written by the same guy which goes deeper than a 1 paragraph comparison :wink:
Quote:
Why would you ask this of him, here? This does not seem appropriate given your interest in this debate as a MOT.

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #333 of 4,156
Well, I'm gonna contact one of the Australian testers (Kunal) to see if can test it side-by-side with my M2 Tech Hiface.

The Hiface has several competitor products (as Currawong mentioned earlier), but nothing comes close to it by way of compact/quality ratio. The Halide maybe...

Aug 6, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #334 of 4,156
The Halide is probably an overpriced Hi-Face in terms of performance.  Granted I don't own either but seems to be the case with certain audio products in this price bracket bracket.
Quote:
Well, I'm gonna contact one of the Australian testers (Kunal) to see if can test it side-by-side with my M2 Tech Hiface.

The Hiface has several competitor products (as Currawong mentioned earlier), but nothing comes close to it by way of compact/quality ratio. The Halide maybe...

Aug 6, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #335 of 4,156
I've owned the Bridge for over 2 months now. I had a HiFace for about 2 weeks. I wanted to do some testing and measurements on both but my schedule limited me to just listening. It was a like new RCA HiFace, purchased on Agon. I sold my Stereovox cable when I got the Bridge so the only two ways I had to use it was with a 2m Wyde Eye or 2m Blue Jeans Belden 1694A, and tried it briefly with a short ~1" double male RCA adapter and USB extention cable. It sounded pretty good. I wanted to do some modding and stuff but I decided to just wait it out and see what the EVO looks and sounds like. Maybe this winter I can give it another go with the HiFace.

Seems to me like I read about someone receiving the EVO one day this week. Can't remember.

I do believe that M2Tech is on to something here. It will be interesting to see, and hear.

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #336 of 4,156

Quote:
Not going to argue your point but, it would make it more interesting.  Two in depth reviews, one an unknown quantity where the other is a well liked quantity.  Both written by the same guy which goes deeper than a 1 paragraph comparison :wink:

I think you got my point wrong here- I am asking for direct,open comparisons. Jkeny wants this comparison to be private seemingly.

Aug 8, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #338 of 4,156
My request was probably thoughtless - I didn't want to hijack this thread or introduce the modified Hiface into it - I just wanted to contact Punk_guy182 to get some feedback from him as I hadn't heard anything from him after received the unit. He is usually so prolific in his posts & emails (as I said to him :)) This was his first post on the forum for a while. He has since made contact with me. Apologies for the intrusion! 

I think there might have been an audio meet in Montreal on Sat. to which he was bringing the modified Hiface & DI (if it arrived on time) so hopefully he can report back here as to how it went?

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #339 of 4,156
Aug 10, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #343 of 4,156

Quote:
I'm an Audio-GD fan, but in this case I totally agree with you Audio Bling.
A good usb to spdif converter has a large software component, that I think is totally lacking here.
Also, I had the chance to compare the Hiface and the Halide Bridge, and on Windows the Hiface is au pair with the Bridge  because of the proprietary drivers (things are different on Mac and Linux).
Nevertheless, I'm curious to read reviews and opinions from the 15 testers :)

If this Digital Interface uses the same Tenor USB input as the Ref5 DSP then it will work with Linux.  I have the Ref5DSP and the USB shows as a DigiHug USB Audio device, this is the same as found in the Stello USB converter.

The Hiface on the other hand will not work with Linux and from the looks of things may never work with Linux.  I have been in contract with M2Tech for just about a year on this, no progress and my emails are starting to get shuffled around.

Aug 10, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #344 of 4,156

Quote:
The Hiface on the other hand will not work with Linux and from the looks of things may never work with Linux.  I have been in contract with M2Tech for just about a year on this, no progress and my emails are starting to get shuffled around.

Yes, I said that before, M2Tech has not been professional promising the Linux drivers and then not implementing them.
Now they're out with a new product and people are still waiting Linux drivers for the old one.
On the other hand the Halide works flawlessly on Linux, actually better on Linux than on Windows.

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #345 of 4,156

Quote:
Yes, I said that before, M2Tech has not been professional promising the Linux drivers and then not implementing them.
Now they're out with a new product and people are still waiting Linux drivers for the old one.
On the other hand the Halide works flawlessly on Linux, actually better on Linux than on Windows.

At a starting price of $450.00 the Halide is certainly NOT worth it.  Any difference in sound is will not be worth that price.  Furthermore neither the technology nor the parts justify the price.

Asynch USB and Firewire on Mac or Windows does not offer an across the board substantial improvement just by itself.  On paper sure but in practical real life situations No.  Been there done that.

If someone want to listen for themselves purchase a E-MU 0404 at half the cost, and get 10 times the product.  The E-MU is not only Asynch USB with spdif out, its an outstanding stand alone DAC as well.  Works with Mac, Windows, and Linux.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back