Audio-gd Digital Interface
Aug 12, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #363 of 4,156
Not tryin' to hate on tim - well, I am a little bit - but why send samples to someone who doesn't have any frame of reference to judge? all this waiting and the first review that comes through amounts to a shoulder shrug. Argh.

confused_face_2.gif

Aug 12, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #365 of 4,156
Quote:
Not tryin' to hate on tim - well, I am a little bit - but why send samples to someone who doesn't have any frame of reference to judge? all this waiting and the first review that comes through amounts to a shoulder shrug. Argh.

confused_face_2.gif

Not to mention that he isn't even using WASAPI, ASIO, or another bit-perfect method of output. Likewise, I'm not complaining about Tim here. I'm just a little angry that Kingwa didn't give a test unit to someone a little more knowledgeable about computer audio. Meh, that's life.

Aug 12, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #366 of 4,156
So educate me then oh mighty ones. What should I have set up for optimum audio that works better than wave on MM? I have tried Fubar and hear no difference (nor with iTunes). I hear no difference using an old DVD player thru the same system. Contemplate all you want but they sound the same.
I was not truly part of the test team, just ordered early and paid for it in full and shipping was part of other items ordered.
I was going to leave it to the people that had gear to compare to- I made that clear.

Edit: I will say that my music never sounded better- the only change has been the DI for now (testing the Ref-8 as well). But it has been a while since I've had the Ref-1 in play due to lack of a converter FWIW. It's not going back to Kingwa for sure.

Aug 12, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #367 of 4,156
If you were not actually part of the test team then never mind. It's nothing against you personally. I thought only test samples were sent out. I tried to order one a few weeks ago and was told to wait until the reviews were done...

Quote:
So educate me then oh mighty ones. What should I have set up for optimum audio that works better than wave on MM? I have tried Fubar and hear no difference (nor with iTunes). I hear no difference using an old DVD player thru the same system. Contemplate all you want but they sound the same.
I was not truly part of the test team, just ordered early and paid for it in full and shipping was part of other items ordered.

Aug 12, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #369 of 4,156
Quote:
So educate me then oh mighty ones. What should I have set up for optimum audio that works better than wave on MM? I have tried Fubar and hear no difference (nor with iTunes).
I was not truly part of the test team, just ordered early and paid for it in full.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound condescending. If you don't care about bit perfect output or can't tell the difference, then that's all well and good. The problem is that many of us do care and were hoping for a little more information. I think it would have been better for Kingwa to give out some test units free of charge to knowledgeable people for independent review purposes. Such a practice is not uncommon for audiophile companies when they release a new product.

FYI, using WASAPI or ASIO will bypass the Windows mixer by some degree, which is known for messing with audio (resampling, not bit perfect, etc). For those of us trying to get as clean and accurate an audio signal to an external DAC, we use WASAPI or ASIO output.

It looks like Media Monkey offers an ASIO output plugin. I don't know about WASAPI, though. You might want to give it a try.

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #370 of 4,156
Just a quick impression so far after listening for an hour.  This is via DI + PSU, Oppo BDP83SE Coax out, A-GD Dac3SE, Weston Acoustics Tempest tube amp, DIY Backloaded Horn speakers using Decware DFR8's.  Used Jack Johnson live in Paris cd as a test.

Without the DI + PSU, the soundstage is more defined, but heaps smaller and slighly harsh on some tracks.  With the DI+PSU engaged, the soundstage is very wide,  is much more smoother, warmer and mellower, but bass wasnt as tight.  Vocals were much more focused within the soundstage, but was smoother.   My impressions so far, YMMV..

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #371 of 4,156
I use Vista which I understand does not use a mixer- the ASIO plugin does not work thru my MM and setup, only direct sound and wave. I have tried DVD/CD players via optical and coax, Fubar, MediaMonkey, iTunes to the REF-1 and Phoenix and they are all nearly indistinguishable with uncompressed files.

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #372 of 4,156
I got it 8/11 and make a first day detail review in http://www.playwares.com/xe/pc_fi_info/14597811.
Sadly, I don't have enough english skill to write in English on those popular sites so ...and... nowdays i have too many schedule to work :frowning2:

However! i tried to listen and compare those things, make a time and Listened.

Briefly talking about comparing with those lower price ddc like Musiland 01USD, M2tech Hiface, Javs UDT-1, etc...

Even King-wa said he send it only get 100 hours burn-in, this Digital Interface with PSU, absolutely better than 01USD and have more musical flavor, netral sound not too biased sound.

My system is like this.
DDC -> Musiland SRC10 Upsampler + MD10 DAC -> Cyrus Pre X VS2 Preamp + Smart Power Plus Poweramp

When I'm using those DDCs on my system, feel too sharpness like hardened sound, too luz sound or like too soft sound on using 01USD, hiface and etc DDCs.

But, Frankly speaking, Digital interface, It's so amazing.
This one give my system all of things those speed, power, and more warming sound quility, especially balancing of sounds.
And during my burn-in, it's sound be better and better than now. It make me have a big expectation about this D/I.

the only worse point is...  cuz of te7702 chipset, it doesn't support 88.2or 176.4 khz.
I have a lot of losses format PC music but most of classic - especially symponies - are recorded 88.2 or 88khz. Surely,cuz I use Media Center 15 and WASAPI, I can upsample those sources.. but... have some inconvenience.

Now our group concern how can we use that DSP3's I2S interface.
After enough burn-in, I wanna try to take thos I2S sounds.

Design... well.. good.. but, if the swich to change input(usb, coax) break black and clear front design if it can, i wanna it to behind or D/I but i can't :) orz

Thank you for reading.

P.S - Of course, when using the only USB power make some jitter than Using PSU but even like those situation, it's better than other like hiface. it's so interesting.

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #373 of 4,156

Quote:

Because it was expected from most testers to pay the shipping costs both ways mainly...that's like +$80 if you wanted the DPS. It required very dedicated testers indeed.

Why such a sloppy post?

Re: "shipping costs .. +$80"
Depending on where you ship to.. For me, much less.

Re: "It required very dedicated testers indeed"
Not me. I am doing it for the fun. Am I the only one?

Aug 13, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #374 of 4,156

Vista's Mixer might not be damaging like XP's since it supposedly doesn't do anything but digital volume and sample rate (supposedly it is darn good).  But it is still converting all your music to a master sample rate.  Meaning if you leave it at default its 16-bit 44.1khz.  Meaning 48khz+ songs will more than likely be downsampled unless someone knows otherwise.

WASAPI skips the windows sound layer all together and doesn't require a special driver like ASIO usually does.  Nor is it fake ASIO like ASIO4ALL.  Best of all anyone with Vista/Win7 can use it so long as your driver(in this case it does over USB using the standard driver) supports bit-perfect transport you are good to go.  If it doesn't it'll complain to you when you play a song that can't be sent through.
Quote:
I use Vista which I understand does not use a mixer- the ASIO plugin does not work thru my MM and setup, only direct sound and wave. I have tried DVD/CD players via optical and coax, Fubar, MediaMonkey, iTunes to the REF-1 and Phoenix and they are all nearly indistinguishable with uncompressed files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back