Audio-gd DAC 3SE - Arrival!
Mar 16, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #76 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listen Dude,
We don't care what you think or what you're interested in!

Your questions are stupid, and you're stupid! Please quit with your inane stupid posts, you irritate me!

Why don't you just Break your Keyboard and go away now! While I eat my Hot Pot in peace!!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Just thought you might be homesick for the Compass thread, and thought I would make you feel at home here
icon10.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I don't think Kingwa is a huge fan of the USB or Optical interface on his "Big Iron"

Sorry man, just had to have a little fun with you...

oh man. LOL. You really had me going there for a while. I kept on scrolling up to make sure I knew who was posting.

Mar 16, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #77 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which is unfortunate considering the preferred audio source for many people these days is a laptop which likely has USB as the only digital audio output option, or possibly firewire. An asynchronous firewire input on a Reference One would be great too if USB is totally out of the question.

I keep on reading about firewire, but there seem to be so few DACs that use it. Is asynchronous firewire easier to implement than USB?

Anyway, yeah, I'd love to see what Kingwa could do if he got really into computer audio. I figure, give it a few years. He's young, and he'll have to go where the market takes him. PC audio is still young.

Mar 16, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #78 of 207

Mar 16, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #79 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by edselfordfong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I keep on reading about firewire, but there seem to be so few DACs that use it. Is asynchronous firewire easier to implement than USB?

Anyway, yeah, I'd love to see what Kingwa could do if he got really into computer audio. I figure, give it a few years. He's young, and he'll have to go where the market takes him. PC audio is still young.

I've heard that firewire is easier to implement because a lot of the work getting it to do asynchronous is already done and available. Firewire also has more bandwidth and you're not likely to have as many firewire devices all connected at once competing for bandwidth like you are with usb.

For asynchronous on usb, someone like Gordon Rankin from Wavelength Audio has to code his own firmware for use with the TAS1020 chip to get it running in asynchronous mode. He has licensed his work to Ayre. I don't know if he's in licensing talks with any other dac designers but I hope he is so we can get more affordable choices out there.

Mar 16, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #80 of 207
Quote:

I've heard that firewire is easier to implement because a lot of the work getting it to do asynchronous is already done and available. Firewire also has more bandwidth and you're not likely to have as many firewire devices all connected at once competing for bandwidth like you are with usb.

didn't know that. wish that there were more firewire options.

Quote:

For asynchronous on usb, someone like Gordon Rankin from Wavelength Audio has to code his own firmware for use with the TAS1020 chip to get it running in asynchronous mode. He has licensed his work to Ayre. I don't know if he's in licensing talks with any other dac designers but I hope he is so we can get more affordable choices out there.

I don't see why Rankin would license it that many other companies, but maybe. Wish audio-gd would do the coding themselves, or better yet, someone does it open source, though Rankin says it was a lot of work. I would also think that eventually the chip makers will do it.

its so frustrating how slow this stuff moves compared to mainstream computer hardware. I remember reading about asynch three years ago when I was looking for my first USB dac. I figured that by now it'd be standard.

Mar 17, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #81 of 207
Kingwa from Audio-GD replied to my email. He said he doesn't plan to add USB to his Ref1. He has completed testing converting USB and optical to spdif and sent me a pic showing that. He also said that he plans to test TAS1020B and he plans to use it in products.

So no usb in Ref1 for now but it's great news that he's planning on using a good chip for USB conversion. It's too early to know whether he'll use Centrance's code (like Benchmark, Lavry, Empirical, and Bel Canto), Wavelength's code (Wavelength and Ayre), or write his own. I'm excited to see what he comes up with.

Mar 17, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #82 of 207
Quote:

Kingwa from Audio-GD replied to my email. He said he doesn't plan to add USB to his Ref1. He has completed testing converting USB and optical to spdif and sent me a pic showing that. He also said that he plans to test TAS1020B and he plans to use it in products.

So no usb in Ref1 for now but it's great news that he's planning on using a good chip for USB conversion. It's too early to know whether he'll use Centrance's code (like Benchmark, Lavry, Empirical, and Bel Canto), Wavelength's code (Wavelength and Ayre), or write his own. I'm excited to see what he comes up with.

That doesn't surprise me. Just doesn't go with the Top end audiophile stuff. Only a limitd number of Nutz out there putting this type of Gear on theri Computers. It's a sickness really. In the future, I'm sure we'll be hunted down and persecuted.

Actually I think Obobscovitch is doing that already come to think of it
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #83 of 207
Quote:

That doesn't surprise me. Just doesn't go with the Top end audiophile stuff. Only a limitd number of Nutz out there putting this type of Gear on theri Computers. It's a sickness really. In the future, I'm sure we'll be hunted down and persecuted.

I believe Ayre and Wavelength have been claiming asynchronous USB is supposed to be lower jitter than spdif, and about equivalent to a one box CD player. I think it would go perfectly with top end gear.

Mar 17, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #84 of 207
Quote:

I believe Ayre and Wavelength have been claiming asynchronous USB is supposed to be lower jitter than spdif, and about equivalent to a one box CD player. I think it would go perfectly with top end gear.

What I mean is, not many people putting $1500 DACs on their Computer.

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #85 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by edselfordfong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes and no.
Asyncronous is already in the protocol (if you get a good receiver), but then one must write the windows drivers, otherwise the device is unusable.

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #86 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Telstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes and no.
Asyncronous is already in the protocol (if you get a good receiver), but then one must write the windows drivers, otherwise the device is unusable.

I suppose that's why the Apogee Duet is MAC only?

Mar 19, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #87 of 207
Quote:

I suppose that's why the Apogee Duet is MAC only?

if thats all thats keeping my duet from my PC i must put this out there:

PLEASE somebody write the drivers for windows!!!

Mar 19, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #88 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbuzzard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if thats all thats keeping my duet from my PC i must put this out there:

PLEASE somebody write the drivers for windows!!!

I second that! Those smug MAC SumBitches!!

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #89 of 207
I've been reading a lot or talk about implimenting USB on the DAC's that haven't got any USB input . Would it be possible for Kingwa to make a stand alone unit that inputs a USB source to either output in coax/optical/BNC or even CAST to the REF1 DAC ? Then the DAC's can be left alone .

Just a thought ...

Apr 19, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #90 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by gavszero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been reading a lot or talk about implimenting USB on the DAC's that haven't got any USB input . Would it be possible for Kingwa to make a stand alone unit that inputs a USB source to either output in coax/optical/BNC or even CAST to the REF1 DAC ? Then the DAC's can be left alone .

Just a thought ...

There is a REF1 thread you know?

There are Format Converters out there. I think the idea that Kingwa is holding, is that why would you use USB on a Hi End DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back