Audio-gd DAC 3SE - Arrival!
Jan 1, 2009 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 207

BigTony

500+ Head-Fier
Well the DAC turned up just as the house filled up for the holidays, so i've not had much quality time alone atm. It came witj 100 hours burn-in and they recommend a further 200. So it'll be back to work before its all settled. I was super happy with the extra rca outs as that simplifies my cables. Initial out of the box impressions - it weighs a ton, built more like an amp than a DAC. Super minimalist design, 1 power on/off button, 1 green led. Yup thats it on the front panel. On the rear it 2 sets of rca outs, 1 coax bnc,1 coax rca, and a secret switch!

Sound, well right away its special, really amazing. Musical joy.

I'm going to hold off a full review till the 200 hour mark.

Jan 3, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #6 of 207
shipping was a mighty $200.....

Re : pictures. Tried to take some, not come out well. Remember the black monolith in 2001? turn it on its side and pop a green led in it, thats the look!

Jan 3, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #7 of 207
$200 shipping? Oh my.. That thing must be really good then. I would have gotten something more local.
redface.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #11 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Their reference one DAC looks pretty nice - I think you just deal direct with Audio-GD for purchases?

Let us know how your DAC sounds.

I am interested in the Ref 1, and would love to hear Tony's experiences.

Tony.... Tony....

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #13 of 207
I'll get the review finished this week, been letting it burn in slowly, i'd not forgotten! I also need to hook back up/my old DACs so i can hear the difference again, rather than working on memory.

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #14 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll get the review finished this week, been letting it burn in slowly, i'd not forgotten! I also need to hook back up/my old DACs so i can hear the difference again, rather than working on memory.

I would be interested in knowing whether there is any white-noise, hum, or hiss, audible from the DAC during quiet sections of the music. How low is the noise floor of the DAC relative to the other DACs you have?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back