Audio-gd DAC 3SE - Arrival!
Apr 19, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #91 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by gavszero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been reading a lot or talk about implimenting USB on the DAC's that haven't got any USB input . Would it be possible for Kingwa to make a stand alone unit that inputs a USB source to either output in coax/optical/BNC or even CAST to the REF1 DAC ? Then the DAC's can be left alone .

Just a thought ...

He told me he's working on one at the moment. I'm using an Audiotrack Prodigy Cube as a converter at the moment, as it can handle 24/96 over USB without additional drivers. According to him, by the way, BNC and coax have the least jitter, with optical a lot. There's no CAST for digital connections.

Apr 19, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #92 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He told me he's working on one at the moment. I'm using an Audiotrack Prodigy Cube as a converter at the moment, as it can handle 24/96 over USB without additional drivers. According to him, by the way, BNC and coax have the least jitter, with optical a lot. There's no CAST for digital connections.

Yes I would only use coax or BNC myself , at the moment my main source is from my Harmon Kardon HD 970 coax and my computer is using the optical input on the harmon , just makes it easier this way as I can switch inputs with a remote . So only coax goes from my Harmon to the Zero DAC which will be replace in the near future with an Audio GD DAC.
Since I can't use CAST as I don't have any other components using CAST , would I be better off going for the DAC-3DV instead of the REF1 ?

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #93 of 207
Quote:

Since I can't use CAST as I don't have any other components using CAST , would I be better off going for the DAC-3DV instead of the REF1 ?

If my understanding is correct, if you're not going to use XLR (balanced) connections, it's better to go for the 3DV.

Edit: I'm very possibly wrong, see the rest of this thread.

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #96 of 207
Quote:

Yes I would only use coax or BNC myself , at the moment my main source is from my Harmon Kardon HD 970 coax and my computer is using the optical input on the harmon , just makes it easier this way as I can switch inputs with a remote . So only coax goes from my Harmon to the Zero DAC which will be replace in the near future with an Audio GD DAC.

Kingwa added this to the Reference One page a while back:

Quote:

DAC Reference One Applies Current Transmission Technology , even though maybe you only connect to XLR or RCA output, but Reference One will always operate in CAST technology, and benefit from CAST technology, Therefore, XLR and RCA output will also definitely bring about improvement in SQ.

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #97 of 207
Quote:

Quote:

If my understanding is correct, if you're not going to use XLR (balanced) connections, it's better to go for the 3DV.

I don't know if it's really possible to compare the DAC-3DV and Reference One directly, even though they use the same DA-chip. At least, if I understand Kingwa's description correctly, the DAC-3DV is voiced to sound more mellow and warm than the more 'neutral' Audio-gd DACs like the DAC-19 and the Reference One.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had comprehensive Audio-gd DAC survey/review?
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #98 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wouldn't it be nice if we had comprehensive Audio-gd DAC survey/review?
biggrin.gif

that would be great.

my OPAs from audio-gd work that great, that i really consider buying a dac from them. only thing is i have no clue which one. Do you think the dac 3se could excel my paradisea ?

Apr 24, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #99 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowlord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that would be great.

my OPAs from audio-gd work that great, that i really consider buying a dac from them. only thing is i have no clue which one. Do you think the dac 3se could excel my paradisea ?

Could well be, but of course there's no real way to say that without a direct comparison. I think they would sound different thought, the DAC-3SE uses solid state technology throughout, while the Paradisea (as I understand it) uses a tube buffer.

Apr 24, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #100 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by shampoosuicide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curra, why is that?

Someone (and I can't remember who because all the discussion is spread over different threads) looked at the circuit and found the Ref 1 only uses half the circuit if you connect it via RCA. Kingwa told me also not to leave the RCA connected when using XLR as it would degrade sound quality.

Edit: This is probably wrong, see the subsequent posts.

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #101 of 207
Quote:

Someone (and I can't remember who because all the discussion is spread over different threads) looked at the circuit and found the Ref 1 only uses half the circuit if you connect it via RCA. Kingwa told me also not to leave the RCA connected when using XLR as it would degrade sound quality.

Somebody should clarify this with Kingwa further. I thought I had, but it keeps coming up. When I started looking at the REF1, Kingwa used the 1/2 statement about SQ when using RCA. I asked him specifically if it only used 1/2 of the circuitry, and he said no it used it all.

However, If I used SE on a Balanced B22, I would only use 1/2 the circuit compared to balanced.

If you look at the back panel where all the solder points are on the REF1, you coulod arrive at the conclusion looking at the SE Solder points compared to the Balanced and CAST Solder points that only 1/2 of the circuit was being used.

I specifically asked him if all the DAC chips were used in SE mode, he said , YES.

May 5, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #102 of 207
does anyone know the meassurements of the dac.??
i just ordered one and now i need to make some space in my rack.

take care
chris

May 5, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #103 of 207
48cm wide (front panel), 40cm deep (case), 9.5cm high (including feet) for my Ref 1 which uses the same case.

Les: I've edited my posts to say that they are probably wrong, thanks for the update.

May 5, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #104 of 207
40 deep ? really ? wow, that doesn't fit in my rack. I guess i have to come up with a different solution. my amp is only 35cm lol

May 5, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #105 of 207
It is a monster sized DAC .. doesn't fit in my rack either!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back