Audio-gd DAC 3SE - Arrival!
Jun 22, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #108 of 207
I ordered mine June 1st (Thanks to BigTony for answering my questions!).
Hopefully it will be shipped soon so that I can finally listen to it myself.
o2smile.gif

The REF1 looks interesting as well, but in the end it's pretty much out of my price range with $1500 + shipping and VAT.
Besides, I figured that a less revealing DAC might fit my rig and music preference better. Mainly it's my HE60 with excellent to garbage-quality metal recordings and I still want to be able to enjoy the questionable ones somewhat
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #109 of 207
Check to see that its been shipped; 1 month is about max. wait time; i know Kingwa likes to bench test them for a week prior to shipping.

From memory i waited less than 3 weeks from ordering to pugging it in at home (and that included adding a extra set of rca outputs).

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #110 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check to see that its been shipped; 1 month is about max. wait time; i know Kingwa likes to bench test them for a week prior to shipping.

No need for that thankfully!
The DAC3DV shipped today via DHL
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #111 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bastet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No need for that thankfully!
The DAC3DV shipped today via DHL
biggrin.gif

Congrats! Do you still have the Benchmark? Should be an interesting comparison, probably very different animals.

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #112 of 207
Thanks Drosera
wink.gif

Yep, I still have the Benchmark.
And to be honest, I do hope the DAC3 doesn't sound like it. As impressive as its technical abilities may be, there is just something about its sound that kills musical enjoyment for me. Especially vocals sound just wrong to me...
Anyways, I guess I will know shortly how the two compare. Maybe if I'm lucky - if the customs gods are kind that is - the package will arrive sometime this week.

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #113 of 207
Cool .. i hope everything goes according to plan - maybe customs will be enjoying the nice weather and not open the box!

Jun 23, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #114 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bastet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Drosera
wink.gif

Yep, I still have the Benchmark.
And to be honest, I do hope the DAC3 doesn't sound like it. As impressive as its technical abilities may be, there is just something about its sound that kills musical enjoyment for me. Especially vocals sound just wrong to me...
Anyways, I guess I will know shortly how the two compare. Maybe if I'm lucky - if the customs gods are kind that is - the package will arrive sometime this week.

Yeah, judging by the description on the Audio-gd site, you went for a sort of anti-Benchmark with the DAC-3DV.
biggrin.gif
It should certainly be different.

I haven't had problems with customs through DHL from Audio-gd. Both of my orders were cleared within a day (or considerably less) and they simply followed the declared value on the package. One thing that really annoys me though is that they also make you pay VAT on the shipping costs. At least here in The Netherlands. That always struck me as really milking it.

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #115 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing that really annoys me though is that they also make you pay VAT on the shipping costs. At least here in The Netherlands. That always struck me as really milking it.

They must be taking lessons from Canada Customs...(taxes on taxes) ...
redface.gif

To the OP,

The DAC-3DV should be a very different animal than the Benchmark......at any rate I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Peete.

Jul 2, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #117 of 207
It's here...finally
biggrin.gif

The long customs delay even paid off in the end: the charges were much lower than I had originally anticipated....a first for me!

Since I came home late today, I didn't manage to plug it in yet, so you'll get no initial impressions from me just yet.
Probably not even in a few days or a week, I will need some time to compare and verify my findings.
Instead, just some quick shots of its arrival:

P.S.: I hope the OP doesn't mind me hijacking his thread like this!
Otherwise I can also fabricate a title for yet another audio-gd thread...it's just that I feel there are far too many of them already.

Jul 3, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #118 of 207
Glad to see its arrived Bastet, no worries about thread hijack - best to keep all the DAC chat in one place. Hany its just before the weekend, as thats plenty of time to set everything up and have a good long listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back