• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Jul 30, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #3,421 of 7,693
Regardless I’ll try Mobius out when I receive it and ignore the hissing if it’s present in my unit while posting impressions

Why the hell would you do that?

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #3,422 of 7,693
Why the hell would you do that?

To fairly evaluate the sound quality/features while Audeze sorts it out. Of course I’ll let you guys know if my Mobius unit has a noticeable hiss but won’t let it cloud my impressions too much unless it makes it too annoying to use the headphones.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #3,423 of 7,693
This is concerning. 35dB of hiss is unacceptable. Why create such a high-quality headphone if it’s just going to be ruined by a loud hissing that is not representative of active headphones in 2018? I assume this is a defect and not within acceptable spec.

Regardless I’ll try Mobius out when I receive it and ignore the hissing if it’s present in my unit while posting impressions. It will be inconvenient to ship back two units but it’s entirely possible it’s isolated or fixable via firmware. I’d give Audeze the benefit of the doubt.

35DB of hiss? Where did you get this number?

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #3,425 of 7,693
So with 2 kids, 3 parrots, 2 large dogs and my pc set up being in the living room with the wife watching tv or playing games (and my tinnitus) how much of this “hiss” do you think I can expect to hear when I sit down to a gaming session? Mind you it isn’t always loud in my house, though you can always expect constant noise until the later hours

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #3,426 of 7,693
This is concerning. 35dB of hiss is unacceptable. Why create such a high-quality headphone if it’s just going to be ruined by a loud hissing that is not representative of active headphones in 2018? I assume this is a defect and not within acceptable spec.

Regardless I’ll try Mobius out when I receive it and ignore the hissing if it’s present in my unit while posting impressions. It will be inconvenient to ship back two units but it’s entirely possible it’s isolated or fixable via firmware. I’d give Audeze the benefit of the doubt.

I used 35db as an example, most room noise being 35db. But for me personally, the hiss is about as loud as my room ambience. We would need that chart to know how much the hiss actually is. I updated my post to use X instead of a number, that was my bad.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #3,427 of 7,693
If it’s found to be within spec and as annoying as you guys find the hiss to be, then yeah I’ll fairly criticize it. For now though we don’t know whether it is to Audeze’s QC spec or some unforeseen production issue/defect.

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #3,429 of 7,693
Hmm..... If it is this amp and not something otherwise resolvable, maybe they could add some kind of ANC to the design of the headset only to control the hiss, with inverted phase. I'm confused. People at Audeze have the ears. To many people are noticing this hum and are finding it disturbing. I'll have to give it a listen for myself if it's within spec. I'm definitely confused. I actually wasn't quite expecting a totally black background because of the power of these amps, but I was expecting a very well controlled and non distracting noise floor.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #3,430 of 7,693
So with 2 kids, 3 parrots, 2 large dogs and my pc set up being in the living room with the wife watching tv or playing games (and my tinnitus) how much of this “hiss” do you think I can expect to hear when I sit down to a gaming session? Mind you it isn’t always loud in my house, though you can always expect constant noise until the later hours

Eh. It’s acceptable. It’s not loud. The music & movies sound great! I think the commentary is chasing a criticism which is probably not a deal breaker for most and is not for me. As I stated PAGES ago. It’s not a deal breaker for me.

Guys. These things sound really good.

Is the background black as the pit of death? No.

Do they sound better than the PX & QC35? Yes.
(isine is still the best portable sound)

Are they comfy as heck? Yes.

Are they sexy? No.

Are they amazing for surround? Absolutely, you already know this.

Are you ok with this trade off for this performance at this price? If mine is working as intended, I’ll be fine.

Though everyone should temper expectations around it. If mine are indeed working as intended, They’re not a zero compromise solution & will probably dash @MICHAELSD’s hopes of One Ring to Rule Them All.

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #3,431 of 7,693
If, and it’s an if, mine are working as intended; I think we can assume the voices who chirped about the target market being gamers were correct.

Yes, this is an Audeze product and sounds like it. It has spectacular Audeze sound!

I talk a lot about product design optimization, as @MICHAELSD knows very well. You’re always optimizing for the perfect pro/con sheet on your target.

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #3,432 of 7,693
Though everyone should temper expectations around it. If mine are indeed working as intended, They’re not a zero compromise solution & will probably dash @MICHAELSD’s hopes of One Ring to Rule Them All.

Eh, I could get over the hiss if it’s within spec and the sound quality is as good as the early impressions indicate. Momentum 2.0 has always-on ANC and my expectations are more or less for Mobius to sound as good or better than my EL-8 with better wireless performance than the Momentum. I’m sure I could justify a bit of a hiss to use Mobius over Solo3 or AirPods :beerchug:. Then again at this point we just don’t know whether the hiss will be a perpetual issue or addressed and fixed. Maybe some users won’t be bothered by it as you had pointed out.

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #3,434 of 7,693
So much for balanced amps having higher noise rejection so less susceptible to noise. J/K ... N/K.

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #3,435 of 7,693
Hmm. Got a delivery status update; Returned to Shipper :frowning2:
Not sure what happened but potential heads up.
Me too. I'm calling DHL right now to see what's going on.

EDIT: I just got off the phone with DHL and was told it was set back because the package contains Li-Ion batteries. DHL doesn't ship anything containing Li-Ion...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back