• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Jul 30, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #3,391 of 7,693
Keep us posted, fingers crossed the audible hiss isn't every unit.

I was in the ride the waves tier, 2300 or something around there. Audeze posted on Instagram today they are expecting almost ALL Mobius units to be shipped in the next week or two. I'd rather they hold all further shipments to investigate this issue though. If only one unit had the issue it would be one thing, but so far it seems like all of them have the same problem and that's very concerning.

Again, how could this be missed under intense QC? If the hiss is audible with all inputs it seems almost impossible that it could be missed.

Based on how stringent the testing appeared in the Engadget video, I would have expected the first 150 units to be absolutely bulletproof.

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #3,392 of 7,693
Regardless, I am getting excited about the versatility of Mobius and already trying to plan how I’m going to watch movies and play games in 5.1/7.1! Would buy an accessory/box that made this easier with a home theater, especially if it was wireless. Mobius paired with my Pioneer Kuro plasma will be incredible :)

Mobius could easily become my only over-ear headphone, wired or wireless.

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #3,394 of 7,693
OK so I've been communicating with Audeze. I'll be sending the unit back to them for further testing and evaluation to see if there's a legit defect or if maybe my ears are just too tuned into the noise from the amplifier which is measured to have a very nominal/no impact on the perceived affect on the sound according to the engineers.

There's a decent chance that I'm just a little sensitive here and that my unit is working as designed. However, we can't be sure and with this big launch and the current commentary on this thread, they have requested it be sent back to check and see if there is a legitimate defect.

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #3,395 of 7,693
OK so I've been communicating with Audeze. I'll be sending the unit back to them for further testing and evaluation to see if there's a legit defect or if maybe my ears are just too tuned into the noise from the amplifier which is measured to have a very nominal/no impact on the perceived affect on the sound according to the engineers.

There's a decent chance that I'm just a little sensitive here and that my unit is working as designed. However, we can't be sure and with this big launch and the current commentary on this thread, they have requested it be sent back to check and see if there is a legitimate defect.

At least we’ll have the issue addressed early on if it is a defect. I wonder if they’ll find that it’s isolated to your unit or if all early production units exhibit it, or if it’s a non-issue but I trust your ears and don’t think that’s the case.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #3,396 of 7,693
Also have my fingers crossed for good news but I have a sinking feeling this is a personal sensitivity thing and the headphones are in fact working "as intended". I've had the same issue with the N90Q, HeaDSPeaker, and now the mobius, all devices said to have no audible hiss. As an additional data point I had my SO try it without me prompting, just asked if she could hear any flaw. She took them off and said "that hissing noise?"

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #3,399 of 7,693
just by judging from the pictures of the circuit board, could the hissing be because of not enough shielding of electronics part?

just to be fair to audeze, even stax amp has hissing if you ram up the volume to very high in complete background silence.

i won't mind if audeze could sort it out and delay receiving it a bit.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #3,400 of 7,693
just by judging from the pictures of the circuit board, could the hissing be because of not enough shielding of electronics part?

just to be fair to audeze, even stax amp has hissing if you ram up the volume to very high in complete background silence.

i won't mind if audeze could sort it out and delay receiving it a bit.

If it is a defect present in all early units I wouldn’t mind if they intercepted early units to their California facility to fix them. Also I’m sure the rest are delayed while they look into it. But let’s not jump the gun yet.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #3,401 of 7,693
After some testing I will have to restate what someone has said a bit above me.

These "cinematic" headphones, made for gaming, music, etc, are unusable for games and movies. The hiss is far too present to play any game or movie with even room noise/casual conversation/etc. And completely forget any horror or thrillers. I have less of an issue with music, but the hiss does intrude on classical pieces or quieter acoustic pieces.

Stuff like borderlands, or other action heavy games may be fine but slinking off into a quiet forest in an rpg will leave you focused on the hiss. Ditto a tense horror game, dramatic story game, etc.

This is still so upsetting because they sound fantastic and the virtual surround is nearly perfect and this one issue is going to completely ruin these for me, it is exceedingly frustrating and I hope Audeze adds a warning to future purchases. I was burnt with the N90Q, this burns even more
oh well.... :frowning2:

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #3,403 of 7,693
If there is a silver lining it's that the hiss is constant.
If it would change depending on source, feature or volume I would have little hope in it being fixable since in my experience those issues indicate a hard wired non fixable characteristic of the product.

Constant hiss is something I only experience with noise cancellation, and maybe some low quality output stage or preamps and even there I'm able to manipulate it to some degree via volume.

Let's hope....

I don't think I get that. If it's fed the raw signal and completely deals with it itself like an active dac-amp combo should I don't see it being inefficient? In fact that's how it should be in my mind.

even qc 15 doesn't have hiss... though it sounds horrible for music.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #3,404 of 7,693
Yea these are incredible. As someone who's been chasing "speakers in a can" for years these are the best, hands down. I've used nearly every virtual surround software, HeaDSPeaker with STAX, an hd800 with a phonitor amp. Nothing has come close to this. I havent grooved this much since my Magnepan Mini Maggies + sub setup(which I unfortunately had to get rid of). The ability to put on some 2 channel music and spin around in my chair, tracking the virtual speakers perfectly around my head is amazing. I've been testing gaming with Witcher 3 and Borderlands 2, both sound good but the reverb is a bit high for my taste for games, great for music though.

Comfort isn't up to HD800 or Nighthawk standards(but what is). Still quite comfy if a bit warm. Mic sounds good so far.
wow, that looks really promising!

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #3,405 of 7,693
They did explain to me that the amps do produce a nominal noise level that is very faint & ever present. They showed graphs comparing measurements of ambient room noise vs the amp in the same sport from within the pads. It’s almost identical in terms of both the noise floor & the curve of the measured noise (ambient/off & amped).

Couple likely outcomes:
1: My unit is fine. We’re all freaking out about something that doesn’t actually impair performance. Maybe I’m experiencing psycho acoustics by believing I hear something. There’s also a chance that my “dog ear” musician ears are slightly more tuned to hearing the frequencies the amp exhibits than the average listeners.

#1 is the most likely scenario. Remember these have 1 watt per side. I’m quite sure this is unheard of power on a mobile headphone jammed into these things.

2: my unit could be defective and Audeze wants to be 100% sure so it’ll be examined by them very soon. From what I have learned, I doubt that my unit is defective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back