• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Jul 30, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #3,406 of 7,693
That really doesn't sound right..... It's one thing if it's not dead quiet and black, with a tad of pink noise, but it's significant if it bleeds into quieter passages. Sounds like an issue that will have to be addressed under warranty after the initial rush quiets down. If all units have it and it wasn't manufactured as intended, this could be a really big issue that's challenging to resolve.
shipping cost would kill them. so please, i don't like claiming warranty AT ALL!

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #3,410 of 7,693
Ok so I’m getting pms and seeing a lot of people experiencing what I am. Here’s what I think is going on.

1: The amplifier itself produces a level of white noise that the engineers are OK with and fit within their performance measurements. This is a fact.

2: Certain audiophiles may be more affected by this than others. Either they actually still hear the noise because they are trained listeners or they have pscho-acoustic perception of the sound because they know it’s there. Given that the engineers measured the sound as imperceptible noise floor that is essentially the same as a room with fan/anc on, it’s probably our own psychological build up that is more problematic than the actual noise itself.

Again, mine might be faulty but I kinda doubt it given the other reports I’m seeing and being PM’d about.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #3,411 of 7,693
shipping cost would kill them. so please, i don't like claiming warranty AT ALL!

Hopefully they don’t have to repair all of the units produced and it’s fixable via firmware. Doesn’t seem like a non-issue based on the frequency of reports. Mobius is such a high-tech product that production really has to be on-point to limit warranty claims. I’m impressed they were able to make it happen at this price point, and really hope Audeze can continue offering more price-conscious products so more customers can experience their sound/build quality. I think a part of the high cost in the past besides the high level of workmanship/quality of materials was a buffer for warranty claims since planar magnetic drivers are complex and all of their products have been cutting-edge, and Mobius is no exception.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #3,412 of 7,693
it’s probably our own psychological build up that is more problematic than the actual noise itself.

It bothered you enough to think the unit maybe faulty to the point you're sending it back.

Certain audiophiles may be more affected by this than others.

Am still waiting for a person who"s received theirs to comment that there"s no hiss/no issue.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #3,413 of 7,693
Ok so I’m getting pms and seeing a lot of people experiencing what I am. Here’s what I think is going on.

1: The amplifier itself produces a level of white noise that the engineers are OK with and fit within their performance measurements. This is a fact.

2: Certain audiophiles may be more affected by this than others. Either they actually still hear the noise because they are trained listeners or they have pscho-acoustic perception of the sound because they know it’s there. Given that the engineers measured the sound as imperceptible noise floor that is essentially the same as a room with fan/anc on, it’s probably our own psychological build up that is more problematic than the actual noise itself.

Again, mine might be faulty but I kinda doubt it given the other reports I’m seeing and being PM’d about.

How loud is the hiss? I don’t imagine it could be worse than a mild ANC hiss that many headphones purposefully produce and if it is then that’s definitely an issue. Although, all of the wireless headphones I’ve tried produce no hiss with ANC disabled.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #3,415 of 7,693
How loud is the hiss? I don’t imagine it could be worse than a mild ANC hiss that many headphones purposefully produce and if it is then that’s definitely an issue. Although, all of the wireless headphones I’ve tried produce no hiss with ANC disabled.

It is a bit louder than the ANC hiss I've heard.

Also if their argument is that the hiss is the same volume as room noise that's an issue. Xdb of ambient room noise is far different than Xdb of a specific range hiss centimeters from your ear. Yes the hiss is about the same volume as my room/ac, but my ear hears my room as natural. I put on the Mobius, blocks out a lot of sound, then I turn them on and now all the noise is back but instead of being an AC or the road from a distance it's a constant hiss right next to my ear.

If this is the official Audeze answer from all the audio engineers there, I'm done with audeze. They know better

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #3,416 of 7,693
Hopefully they don’t have to repair all of the units produced and it’s fixable via firmware. Doesn’t seem like a non-issue based on the frequency of reports. Mobius is such a high-tech product that production really has to be on-point to limit warranty claims. I’m impressed they were able to make it happen at this price point, and really hope Audeze can continue offering more price-conscious products so more customers can experience their sound/build quality. I think a part of the high cost in the past besides the high level of workmanship/quality of materials was a buffer for warranty claims since planar magnetic drivers are complex and all of their products have been cutting-edge, and Mobius is no exception.
i didn't pull the trigger when i first received the mail shot, and couldn't quite work out the financials if it's made entirely in the usa.

hope no need to test every one of the units i am receiving. quite a bit of fuss since there are so many functions on the mobius.

i didn't look into the pictures of the mobius in details. till someone pointed out the huge logo in the headband, then i realized that planar is close if not already commodity.

hope Audeze would do serious teardown of their competitors' products. bose would have some tiny little magnetic filters in their connecting wires.

before model s was released, tesla did teardown of a mercedes.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #3,417 of 7,693
It is a bit louder than the ANC hiss I've heard.

Also if their argument is that the hiss is the same volume as room noise that's an issue. 35db of ambient room noise is far different than 35db of a specific range hiss centimeters from your ear. Yes the hiss is about the same volume as my room/ac, but my ear hears my room as natural. I put on the Mobius, blocks out a lot of sound, then I turn them on and now all the noise is back but instead of being an AC or the road from a distance it's a constant hiss right next to my ear.

If this is the official Audeze answer from all the audio engineers there, I'm done with audeze. They know better

This is concerning. 35dB of hiss is unacceptable. Why create such a high-quality headphone if it’s just going to be ruined by a loud hissing that is not representative of active headphones in 2018? I assume this is a defect and not within acceptable spec.

Regardless I’ll try Mobius out when I receive it and ignore the hissing if it’s present in my unit while posting impressions. It will be inconvenient to ship back two units but it’s entirely possible it’s isolated or fixable via firmware. I’d give Audeze the benefit of the doubt.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #3,418 of 7,693

I don’t know how to qualify the DB levels. Neither my QC35 nor PX make any noise with ANC off or on so I can’t compare that.

It’s kind of like having a quiet modern ANC on in the room would be my best description. The reason I qualify “quiet modern” is because I grew up with a super loud one my dad had from back in the day. LOL. It’s like what most current ANC might be if they’re on and then you put these on.

I should probably stop guessing and wait for Audeze to Eval my unit.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #3,419 of 7,693
I don’t know how to qualify the DB levels. Neither my QC35 nor PX make any noise with ANC off or on so I can’t compare that.

It’s kind of like having a quiet modern ANC on in the room would be my best description. The reason I qualify “quiet modern” is because I grew up with a super loud one my dad had from back in the day. LOL. It’s like what most current ANC might be if they’re on and then you put these on.

I should probably stop guessing and wait for Audeze to Eval my unit.

Maybe they quietly added ANC to Mobius :p

(Kidding, of course.)

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #3,420 of 7,693
@AlwaysForward Could you post the graphs Audeze sent you? The noise specs are absent on the Mobius page. This could help prospective buyers make a more informed decision :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back