• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Mar 23, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #676 of 7,693
In your third person game though did you actually get better results than just trying it with the mobius 3d on a non virtualized regular 2 channel source?
Without external processing and the Mobius's 3D enabled, I had head tracking with a simulated 2-channel speaker experience. When I enabled external processing, it gave me a larger sense of world space, likely due in part to how Dolby Headphone handles reverb. Will that be for everyone? I highly doubt it. Did it work for me in this specific instance? You betcha. Will it be better for me universally in all games? That seems unlikely. Would I pair the two again? Heck yeah.

Console gamers will get the best positional cues with an external processor and the Mobius's 3D spatialization disabled. If positional cues are the top priority, don't stack. If a sense of space and immersion is king (which is generally what I want in non-competitive games) then stacking might yield better results. I imagine most console gamers will end up connecting the Mobius directly to their controllers with the 3D active and go for a simulated stereo experience.

MLE said that something like the X7 should be able to output 5.1 blue tooth audio via its aux port using something like this.
It can't. Bluetooth is stereo only, so what you'd get with an adapter like that is a pre-processed surround sound that's treated like any other stereo signal by the Mobius.

So if I'm playing a vr game, and I turn my head, doesn't the game adjust the audio for my head's position? So if the headphone ALSO adjusts the audio, isn't this going to lead to over correction?
For VR, you'll want to disable the Mobius's 3D processing and let your VR system handle it.

Mar 23, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #677 of 7,693
How... let's say "upgrade friendly" is my new Copper colored investment?:L3000:
Field upgradeability of firmware is a big part of our design philosophy so yes Mobius firmware will be upgradable through USB on PC (we are looking into Mac too).
I would especially love to know the following:
  • Is there a possibility of upgrading to Dolby Atmos Headphone for the currently available Mobius via updates OR hardware upgrade kits(Dongle etc.)?
  • Is there a possibility of a Mixamp/Dongle solution that would benefit console gamers?
We would like to set realistic expectations. Options for interfacing with consoles is a matter of what can be done with existing input/output interfaces on Mobius.

Mobius has three input options:
  1. USB: Supports 2/2.1/5.1/7.1
  2. BT: As of today, even the best codec supports only 2 Channels
  3. Aux: Is an analog interface and limited to 2 channels only
On consoles:
  1. As of today there does not exist a console that can output 5.1 or 7.1 over USB (Edit: without licensing involved)
  2. Aux out on consoles can output 2 channel only, either plain stereo or with some form of spatialization already done
  3. Some consoles may support Bluetooth, here too you can get only two channels or some spatialization already done.
  4. Optical out/Toslink: It does not have the bandwidth to support lossless 5.1 or 7.1 channels, so some form of encoding is required. Dolby/DTS can output compressed/lossy multi-channel audio over optical. But Mobius does not have an Optical input, so adding a Dolby/DTS decoder is of no use.
The only true solution I see here is if someone designs a Dolby/DTS decoder that will put out 5.1/7.1 channels over USB. If we find one we will certainly test and recommend one, we do not have current plans on building one from scratch.

If you switch off 3D on Mobius, you will still be able to take full advantage of what Mixamp offers except for head tracking.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #678 of 7,693
Thanks @KMann, that answered my questions to the T. It seems the Mobius should still offer quite a bit of value to me even if I can’t quite the “full” 5.1/7.1 surround with headtracking on console (yet), as I’ve been wanting to try an Audeze for as long as I’ve known about them. I know this may sound like comparing apples to oranges, but I’m really curious how these stack up to some TOTL cans like my A&K T5p. Before seeing the Mobius I was pretty set on trading for a ZMF Eikon, but the Mobius would be much more convenient/portable, offer extra for gaming, etc while I would need to always have a hardwired amp to fully run the Eikon... Choices are hard :frowning2:

Mar 23, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #679 of 7,693
There is one question constantly floating in my mind I have not yet seen asked elsewhere.

How many of the DSP effects are "hardwired" and how much could be changed via firmeware upgrades and the like?

I'm always a little... grumpy when companys throw something for 400$/€ on the market just to release an "upgraded" version the comming year or so which isn't really a quality but "feature" change that could have been an "upgrade pack" for the existing hardware if the Processing unit would have been external or software upgradeable.

• Is there a possibility of upgrading to Dolby Atmos Headphone for the currently available Mobius via updates OR hardware upgrade kits(Dongle etc.)?
  • Is there a possibility of a Mixamp/Dongle solution that would benefit console gamers?
I'm not talking about promises, just actual possibilities. Are these points even remotely possible for the current Mobius or is it already clear that I will have to look for a guilable buyer of the "old" hardware two years down to finance my new and upgraded Audeze Mobius v2?

I'm not trying to be disrespectful. Just hoping for the impossible(?).

I’m also curious if it’s possible to add new codecs via firmware.

Mar 23, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #680 of 7,693
Field upgradeability of firmware is a big part of our design philosophy so yes Mobius firmware will be upgradable through USB on PC (we are looking into Mac too).

We would like to set realistic expectations. Options for interfacing with consoles is a matter of what can be done with existing input/output interfaces on Mobius.

On consoles:
  1. As of today there does not exist a console that can output 5.1 or 7.1 over USB (Edit: without licensing involved)
  2. Aux out on consoles can output 2 channel only, either plain stereo or with some form of spatialization already done
  3. Some consoles may support Bluetooth, here too you can get only two channels or some spatialization already done.
  4. Optical out/Toslink: It does not have the bandwidth to support lossless 5.1 or 7.1 channels, so some form of encoding is required. Dolby/DTS can output compressed/lossy multi-channel audio over optical. But Mobius does not have an Optical input, so adding a Dolby/DTS decoder is of no use.
The only true solution I see here is if someone designs a Dolby/DTS decoder that will put out 5.1/7.1 channels over USB. If we find one we will certainly test and recommend one, we do not have current plans on building one from scratch.

If you switch off 3D on Mobius, you will still be able to take full advantage of what Mixamp offers except for head tracking.

You should try to contact Microsoft They said in the past they want to enable USB microphones I don’t see why they couldn’t do sound output as well. It would pretty much open the headphone for the Xbox as well if they allow usb audio output.

Mar 23, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #682 of 7,693
@mashuto I'd be interested in hearing your comparissons with the Sennhesier GSX if you still intend to keep it.
I'm not going to make use of the boom mic. I have an Apollo twin USB and AKG C214 for Discord/VOIP/Streaming already.

Mar 23, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #684 of 7,693
I'm not sure I understand your question. Connecting a Mobius to a Mixamp uses the AUX cable. Head tracking does work, but only as a stereo signal.

One way to connect to a console is through Aux input and you will get 2ch with stereo emulation along with head tracking

Based on my understanding on what the Miamp does, it would create its own spatialization but the Mixamp cannot use the Headtracking information from Mobius.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Connecting a Mobius to a Mixamp uses the AUX cable. Head tracking does work, but only as a stereo signal.

Am basically asking "why not use the Mobius' head tracking with the VSS stero signal from the Mixamp?"

Wouldn't it "fix" the position of the audio cues in space rather than have them follow the head movement?

Mar 23, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #685 of 7,693
If the headtracking works on the AUX, why wouldn't it work with the 2 channel fed from the mixamp?
It would work fine/the same as headtracking on aux or BT.

The problem with consoles is that there is no way to get 5.1/7.1 with headtracking unless the dsp is double stacked with the Mixamp/X7 etc. That’s pretty much the only reason I’m likely to pass on these till later. Well that and I reaallllly want to try a ZMF haha

Mar 24, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #686 of 7,693
There is one question constantly floating in my mind I have not yet seen asked elsewhere.

How many of the DSP effects are "hardwired" and how much could be changed via firmeware upgrades and the like?

I'm always a little... grumpy when companys throw something for 400$/€ on the market just to release an "upgraded" version the comming year or so which isn't really a quality but "feature" change that could have been an "upgrade pack" for the existing hardware if the Processing unit would have been external or software upgradeable.

I'm not talking about promises, just actual possibilities. Are these points even remotely possible for the current Mobius or is it already clear that I will have to look for a gullible buyer of the "old" hardware two years down to finance my new and upgraded Audeze Mobius v2?

I'm not trying to be disrespectful. Just hoping for the impossible(?).

This is a concern of mine as well. I'm not keen on buying something only to have a new and improved version released at full retail price a short time later.
I understand why this happens and why companies do it, but it's always a hard pill to swallow.

Mar 24, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #687 of 7,693
The problem with consoles is that there is no way to get 5.1/7.1 with headtracking unless the dsp is double stacked with the Mixamp/X7 etc. That’s pretty much the only reason I’m likely to pass on these till later. Well that and I reaallllly want to try a ZMF haha

Anything at all that uses the AUX port will effectively be double amping.

I won't be using the headphones for critical listening (have other cans for that), but rather the extra focus the headtracking will bring to the VSS side of things.

Will be interesting to run then off the X7 or Mixamp to see if the effect carries over, or if it's more like listening to the same options via speakers rather than headphones.

Mar 24, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #688 of 7,693
@mashuto I'd be interested in hearing your comparissons with the Sennhesier GSX if you still intend to keep it.
I'm not going to make use of the boom mic. I have an Apollo twin USB and AKG C214 for Discord/VOIP/Streaming already.

I am not planning on getting rid of the GSX, so I will certainly try and remember to do some comparisons when the mobius comes in. Though its obviously going to be a number of months (hopefully they actually make it out by their June date). I dont have any other setup for voice input though since I dont stream. Just do some light recording basically so me and a friend can rewatch our shenanigans. So hopefully the mic is decent enough. As long as its clear enough for me to be heard thats all I care about there.

Mar 24, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #689 of 7,693

On consoles:

Are you planning or considering including MQA full or rendering in Stereo/high res modes? The system is capable of it and much more! (or does the equalization prevent it?)

Mar 24, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #690 of 7,693
Are you planning or considering including MQA full or rendering in Stereo/high res modes? The system is capable of it and much more! (or does the equalization prevent it?)
You could do the first unfolding in software and send it to Mobius but full MQA rendering in hardware is not possible due to the DSP. More than that, EQ presets will lead to a more profound and better listening experience than whatever gain that can be had through MQA. We do not want to check the MQA box for just the sake of doing it, and a possible increased cost due to licensing and complexity of implementation that go with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back