• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Oct 24, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #7,187 of 7,693
I've got the brainwavz angled hybrid pads comin tomorrow so I'll compare em to the others, but so far I like the pleather more than the velour or sheepskin for both comfort and sound. The angled pleather pad definately does something... reduces the lead transient, reduces ringing, idk... theres no gain or thinning in the treble, its just smoother sounding and imaging, soundstage, and virtualization ability, are much improved with it.

@Zenvota How are the Brainwavz Angled Hybrid pads coming along in terms of sound?

I myself ordered Brainwavz Hybrid PU/Velour this morning. Inner whole dimensions is 70mm × 50mm. They have fenestrations in the pleather parts. I hope they fit nicely.

Oct 24, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #7,188 of 7,693
@Zenvota How are the Brainwavz Angled Hybrid pads coming along in terms of sound?

I myself ordered Brainwavz Hybrid PU/Velour this morning. Inner whole dimensions is 70mm × 50mm. They have fenestrations in the pleather parts. I hope they fit nicely.

I like the angled pleather pads best of the brainwavz pads i tried, which include the non angled pleather, angled velour, angled hybrid, and angled sheepskin.

The hybrid pads have a little less bass and less smooth treble than the pleather, but its better than the straight velour, see how you like em and if you feel its missing a little something try the pleather

Always stick with the angled pads though, the non angled pleather sidnt sound much different than the stock pads in terms of stage size and imaging and treble smoothness.

The sheepskin pads are similar to the pleather but with a more treble, more reflections from the material i guess.

I tried to make some better instructions for the baffle as I dont like the sound of the brainwavz pads without it at all:

Items:
Clear cd cases
1mm felt sheet
Scissors
Sharpie
Masking tape
Sand paper
Maybe a glue stick

Take the stock pads off the mobius, the pad is attached to the blue ring, and the blue ring just snaps on / pops off easily.

Lay the clear cd case cover over the Mobius driver and trace out the outter cup and inner fazor array(youll see the shape compared to my pictures).

Cut out the baffle. Id cut off the edges of the case first so it's easier to get to. Just cut the baffle out in 4 strips and then tape it back together(i used a utility knife the first time which wasnt fun, lol). You may want to sand down the edges if there was any splintering.

Use the baffle to trace out a 2nd baffle as well as 2 felt pieces of the same shape.

The felt goes inbetween the mobius and the baffle.

I used a 2nd ring of felt inside the pad and I felt this improved treble performance.

You can glue the first felt ring to the baffle if you want.

Stretch the pad over the mobius cup starting at the top, getting the mounting ring of the pad over the mobius earcup can be tricky but it works.

20181008_154130.jpg 20181008_154212.jpg 20181008_154221.jpg 20181008_155358.jpg 20181008_155418.jpg

And I'm still EQing off alot of treble in 3d and have been trying a big bass boost but it sounds really fantastic with room ambiance at like 35, gives it a real Magico sound if you know what I mean.
Screenshot_20181024-130930_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg

Too sum it up, brainwavz angled pleather pads plus baffle plus eq = a portable virtual stereo loudspeaker system that sounds just incredible.

Oct 24, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #7,189 of 7,693
@MFHRaptor meant to add, sorry for the delay on the hybrid pads, they sent me the sheepskin pads twice and then i waited a week for a response from customer service, got impatient and tried ordering a third time and got the correct ones finally.

The have a similar stage size to velour, with a little better imaging, but imaging isn't as good as pleather. Treble and bass are better than velour but not as good as pleather. Isolation/leakage is better than velour but not as good as pleather. Breathability isn't as good as velour but better than pleather. Comforts similar to velour, I personally like pleather better for comfort.

I wish @DekoniAudio made a pad with similar dimensions to the brainwavz angled pleather and/or hybrid to use with the Mobius ;] the Dekoni elite velour material is awesome. Better comfort better sound.

Oct 24, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #7,190 of 7,693
I received my Mobius two weeks ago and tested them right away. And my sample got the dreaded hissing problem. It is quite audible when there is no sound, but doesn't change level when I push the volume up. I guess I'll just keep it that way since I don't live in the US, and I won't send back the headphones on my own expense. Oh well, I played the gear loterry and lost, once again ( yeah, I backed Ossic X ).

Oct 24, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #7,191 of 7,693
I received my Mobius two weeks ago and tested them right away. And my sample got the dreaded hissing problem. It is quite audible when there is no sound, but doesn't change level when I push the volume up. I guess I'll just keep it that way since I don't live in the US, and I won't send back the headphones on my own expense. Oh well, I played the gear loterry and lost, once again ( yeah, I backed Ossic X ).

Me too. Backed the Ossic (even as a development backer - but could downgrade later) and on top of it the Smyth Realizer A16. And zes I hear the hss too, which obviously is due to my too good hearing.

Oct 24, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #7,192 of 7,693
Sorry to hear TCFenua and Richter Di.

Perhaps Audeze would allow those with obtrusive hiss to exchange our units from a local dealer. Less cost and fuss from already put out backers.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pol...or-do-you-hear-it.890462/page-4#post-14539655

edit:track posted not suitable

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #7,193 of 7,693
You guys are funny... I do not hear the hiss, none whatsoever... And yet some people here, who do, have made me so paranoid about not hearing the hiss that I took a couple hearing tests, thinking something was wrong with my hearing... Well, I got perfect scores on both... My hearing is therefore excellent, in spite of not hearing any noise on the Mobius... Now do with that what you will... If your unit has an audible hiss, that may simply imply that it has something that can be fixed> Of course, i'm no expert and have no scientific explanation for the hissing, and what can or cannot be fixed from that viewpoint... I'm just expressing a layman's point of view, and I feel lucky that I have no hiss on my mobius to worry about...

I just wish and hope all these "hissing" allegations and shenanigans get sorted.:).

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #7,194 of 7,693
You guys are funny... I do not hear the hiss, none whatsoever... And yet some people here, who do, have made me so paranoid about not hearing the hiss that I took a couple hearing tests, thinking something was wrong with my hearing... Well, I got perfect scores on both... My hearing is therefore excellent, in spite of not hearing any noise on the Mobius... Now do with that what you will... If your unit has an audible hiss, that may simply imply that it has something that can be fixed> Of course, i'm no expert and have no scientific explanation for the hissing, and what can or cannot be fixed from that viewpoint... I'm just expressing a layman's point of view, and I feel lucky that I have no hiss on my mobius to worry about...

I just wish and hope all these "hissing" allegations and shenanigans get sorted.:).

That was the first disappointment from the headset. I can't hear a hiss on my other headsets, but hear it here very well (obviously - much better in quieter music) and it's really annoying. The next disappointments are - too tight on the head, pressurizes me a lot (can't get used to it) and the other one is fixable by firmware, I hope - remember the mode I'm in and don't always switch me randomly to either 3d manual or 3d auto. I want that thing OFF.

I guess I'll give them a chance for a good month or two, before selling them. Maybe someone else has more luck and doesn't hear the hiss, lol.

Oct 25, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #7,195 of 7,693
Sorry to hear TCFenua and Richter Di.

Perhaps Audeze would allow those with obtrusive hiss to exchange our units from a local dealer. Less cost and fuss from already put out backers.

I think since @KaiSc measured my Mobius and his and published his results here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-mobius-review-impressions.887808/page-115#post-14536363, it is quite certain that what @Audeze has stated is true. All units are in the range of the specifications.
Aprox 50% of the Mobius owners (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pol...noise-hiss-noise-floor-do-you-hear-it.890462/) hear the hiss.
The hiss is as KaiSc documented all over the spectrum and I guess if you are very sensitive to certain frequency spectrum you migh hear it.

So while you hearing might be completely normal, you might not have specific areas with a high sensitivity. To talk about “allegations and shenanigans” is unnecessary unfriendly.

Oct 25, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #7,196 of 7,693

I'm kind of investigating in this, so may I ask what is your age please?
I don't hear the hiss either and, according to my audiologist, have very good hearing too.
But I don't hear the hiss on RichterDi's Mobius too, and RichterDi's does measure exactly the same as mine:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-mobius-review-impressions.887808/page-115#post-14536363

Audiologist might test our hearing relative to age, and in comes this:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_threshold_of_hearing
This is my explanation why some do hear the hiss and others don't, as I experienced on the very same Mobius.

BTW, I had to use an extremly quiet room for my measurements, because every normal environment is much more noisy then the Mobius, even with the headphone blocking the room noise from the measurement mic by some amount.

For our hearing perception, the difference is, the room noise is usually more ambient, opposed to a steady spot source.

@Richter Di:
The poll might not be representative, as those satisfied may not care about it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #7,197 of 7,693
Always stick with the angled pads though, the non angled pleather sidnt sound much different than the stock pads in terms of stage size and imaging and treble smoothness.

Too sum it up, brainwavz angled pleather pads plus baffle plus eq = a portable virtual stereo loudspeaker system that sounds just incredible.

@Zenvota Thanks for the recommendations. I'll update my order for the hybrids since it hasn't shipped yet. However, I am debating the angled vs. non-angled.

My thinking is: Having the drivers slightly angled to the listener's back - thus being parallel to the plane of his ears - will spread the rear imaging a bit, and conversely result in objects/instruments becoming a tad condensed/concentrated on the front image. By contrast, non-angled pads will "wrap" the image around your head in a 3D-like fashion. You can try this when wearing the angled pads while playing something, then pressing from the outside to collapse the pads on the thicker end. Do that and listen closely to how the soundstage distorts.

IMO a "wrapped" soundstage is better suited for Mobius' intended purpose: gaming.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #7,198 of 7,693
Oct 25, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #7,199 of 7,693
@Zenvota Thanks for the recommendations. I'll update my order for the hybrids since it hasn't shipped yet. However, I am debating the angled vs. non-angled.

My thinking is: Having the drivers slightly angled to the listener's back - thus being parallel to the plane of his ears - will spread the rear imaging a bit, and conversely result in objects/instruments becoming a tad condensed/concentrated on the front image. By contrast, non-angled pads will "wrap" the image around your head in a 3D-like fashion. You can try this when wearing the angled pads while playing something, then pressing from the outside to collapse the pads on the thicker end. Do that and listen closely to how the soundstage distorts.

IMO a "wrapped" soundstage is better suited for Mobius' intended purpose: gaming.

;] angling of the driver changes the way the soundwave hits your ear. To get a better virtual surround image, the imaging performance of the driver is important, as virtual location is dictated not be the location of the driver, but by the information delivered by the driver. having compared the angled vs non angled pads I can say the angled pads have significantly more clear rear localization. And virtual speaker locations haven't changed, they're just rendered more clearly and accurately.

I'll let Tyll do the talking, this is from the HD800 review, https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/brilliant-sennheiser-hd-800#Aj5UeXDfuD4rQH3d.99

"it provides better imaging by being angled back towards the ears from a slightly forward position thereby emitting a rather more planar wave front than a normal headphones driver."

"With normal speaker listening, the wavefront is hitting the side of your head and ears at an angle. To mimic this geometry, Sennheiser mounts the HD 800 drivers slightly forward of your ears, and slightly angled back towards them. The larger diameter and angled geometry of the HD 800 driver produces a wavefront that arrives at the ears in a more natural way than with traditional headphones and allows more of the normal reflections at the outer ear to occur, which allows the brain to understand and localize the sound it's hearing significantly better. The result is significantly improved imaging."

Oct 25, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #7,200 of 7,693
I think since @KaiSc measured my Mobius and his and published his results here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-mobius-review-impressions.887808/page-115#post-14536363, it is quite certain that what @Audeze has stated is true. All units are in the range of the specifications.
Aprox 50% of the Mobius owners (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pol...noise-hiss-noise-floor-do-you-hear-it.890462/) hear the hiss.
The hiss is as KaiSc documented all over the spectrum and I guess if you are very sensitive to certain frequency spectrum you migh hear it.

So while you hearing might be completely normal, you might not have specific areas with a high sensitivity. To talk about “allegations and shenanigans” is unnecessary unfriendly.
Hey @Richter Di : I was trying to bring in some humor, but not trying to be a jerk. I certainly didn't mean to sound insensitive to the frustration of those experiencing this issue, or to insinuate that it did not exist. I am very sympathetic, but I was just trying to lighten the mood a bit, except that from your response, i realize my method and choice of words were not very effective. Sorry about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back