Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 13, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #1,711 of 5,780
My set suffers from an audible hiss in the right ear. The left ear however is nearly dead silent, as quiet or quieter than any other powered headphone I've ever heard.
I don't have to push the ear cup against my ear, and I would call my hearing average.
I have tried power cycling and using every different connection method including the 3 different USB modes and the sound is still there in the right ear.

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #1,712 of 5,780
If they are testing revised units and they're testing the same as ours, which for me if I press the driver up against my ear and power cycle I can hear the noise floor just barely, then the people who are taking issue with it have super hearing. As soon as I stop pushing the cup against my ear I can't hear it, quiet room, no tinnitus. Once and only once, however, the noise floor was significantly higher and cleary audible, power cycling fixed it and it's never presented itself again.
I certainly concede that subjective over-sensitivity to background noise may be the explanation behind all these hiss/noise floor complaints. But I highly doubt that explanation given the number and vehemence of complaints. I'm open to data and evidence, such as KaiSc's/Richter Di's purported measurements...I'll see them before considering changing my opinion...

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #1,713 of 5,780
From my experience with my unit, to start with hasn't been a 'hiss', bit rather a sound something like hearing a bath being run through the wall of the room next to the bathroom.

The sound really only manifests itself when in 3D mode, during the patches between speech or music it is accentuated, but it is always present. As soon as I change it to Hi-Res, the 'hiss' is gone.

That aside, and minor compatibility issues requiring device restarts too, one gripe that seems somewhat unmentioned is in Bluetooth mode, the fact that to switch between Hi-Res and 3D requires manually going into the device settings to adjust the Bluetooth audio sample rate to either 48k or 96k, can be a bit of a pain when trying to show off all the features to the people I've been raving about these too

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #1,714 of 5,780
Just want to say that I've been using the Mobius for about a month now and it has been GREAT.

I mainly use it for music. I always keep it on 2Ch Hi-Res USB, 3D OFF. It really sounds much better than my HD598. The quality of the sound is unmistakable - its the kind that surprises non-audiophiles. I would describe the sound as a "breath of fresh air" - lively, transparent, detailed. Spacious soundstage for a closed can. Warm, detailed lows that get me grooving on any beat or bassline.

The Mobius excels at conveying a sense of presence in music through its transparency and lush, yet crisp, lively sound signature. Put on a really good female singer and be prepared to get shivers.

I dont use it much for gaming because I have put almost 1200 hours into gaming with my HD598s. But they perform very well with games. Tested it with Overwatch, Rainbow Six, PUBG. All very good, accurate positional cues. I don't use the 3D much as I am too used to gaming without it.

Microphone after the beta firmware fix is OK. It's not nearly as good as an inexpensive condenser mic. But acceptable for gaming. I wish they included a windscreen - it's necessary for sure.

I never even thought about the noise floor until I heard people talking about it. If I stop everything, stay still, and concentrate, I can hear a noise floor (on USB). It's not black silence. It's about 1/3 of the noise I usually hear from a noise-cancelling headphone, for example. It definitely is not anything close to annoying for me.

Overall, 10/10 for the money I paid ($260).

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #1,715 of 5,780
Oct 13, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #1,716 of 5,780
That aside, and minor compatibility issues requiring device restarts too, one gripe that seems somewhat unmentioned is in Bluetooth mode, the fact that to switch between Hi-Res and 3D requires manually going into the device settings to adjust the Bluetooth audio sample rate to either 48k or 96k, can be a bit of a pain when trying to show off all the features to the people I've been raving about these too

Yup its been mentioned, in the end i just leave the dev options window open now on my phone. Sometimes youve just gotta deal. I've been waiting 20 years for nvidia to add multi monitor sli clock/voltage throttling.

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #1,717 of 5,780
From the rtings review

"On the upside, you can use them completely passively when the battery dies which is nice although you won't get any of the 3D/surround sound effects."

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #1,718 of 5,780
Hi, I also do not work for Audeze :wink:
And yes, I hear a hiss.
Fortunately this has most probable nothing to do with some Mobius having the hiss and some others don´t. @KaiSc measured my Mobius against his Mobius and while I hear a hiss, he does not. So fortunately the Mobiuses are not different in measurement, so when I hear a hiss, and I do double blind any time, I am just very sensitive. BTW this can also be a good thing as I am sometimes asked to hear prototypes of headphone amplifiers and give feedback. But in the Mobius case it would be much easier to not hear the hiss.
Hope KaiSc will share his results soon. This will be helpful.
And thanks for your offer but I will keep mine. I really like them, deducting the hiss.
Richter D sent me his Mobius.
He does hear the hiss, I don't.
I do NOT hear it on his Mobius too.
I measured both and they are, within extremly small margins, identical.
So there is no difference, it's only, he has a more sensitive hearing than I have.

Noise numerically:
Mine (#1 in the plot): L/R 20,0 / 19,6 dB SPL Aeff
Richter D (# 2 in the plot): L/R 20,2 / 20,3 dB SPL Aeff
Neglectable differences, just my right driver is quieter (see plot) which makes for the tiny difference.

Here is the spectrum analysis, and below the frequency response.
As you can see, all the differences in the noise spectra in the 4 cups are reflected in the frequency response, so the electronics are 100% identical.
There are only acoustic driver differences, too small for being responsible for the difference in recepted noise.

Noise spectra A-weighted (Bruel&Kjaer Artificial Ear 4153, 4165 capsule):
IMG_0850.PNG

Frequency response (Bruel&Kjaer Artificial Ear 4153, 4134 capsule):
IMG_0851.PNG

Another interesting result: left and right differ in the amount of bass.
This is due to different acoustic properties of the left and right cup construction.
AUDEZE should fix that by a compensating EQ with the next firmware update.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #1,719 of 5,780
My set suffers from an audible hiss in the right ear. The left ear however is nearly dead silent, as quiet or quieter than any other powered headphone I've ever heard.
I don't have to push the ear cup against my ear, and I would call my hearing average.
I have tried power cycling and using every different connection method including the 3 different USB modes and the sound is still there in the right ear.
Did you try to switch ears, put on Mobius L/R reversed?

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #1,720 of 5,780
From the rtings review

"On the upside, you can use them completely passively when the battery dies which is nice although you won't get any of the 3D/surround sound effects."
Some people do reviews without even trying what had guessed.
This is simply wrong, as everybody with a Mobius at hand can test by themselves.

Oct 13, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #1,721 of 5,780
I hear the hiss as well but it doesn't bother me to the degree that I want to sell it. Of course I wish there wasn't any.

What bothers is me is the slight rattle in the right ear cup during BT mode. It goes on for a few seconds and then off, then a few seconds or a moment later it goes back on.

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #1,722 of 5,780
I am having a devil of a time pairing my Mobius to my Windows 10 machine. When I launch the pairing wizard, I double click on the Mobius' power button. I get the "Pairing" voice but the PC just will not pick it up.

Anyone else have pairing problems with Windows?

It has paired seamlessly with my Macbook Pro and my iPhone XS.

Ok, I have figured out what is wrong with pairing to my PC. My PC is sitting less than 3 feet from where I sit, but it is behind a wall in a closet.

And I have confirmed that if I open the door to the closet and put the Mobius next to the PC, the headphones will pair to the PC. However, once the door is closed, no audio will stream to it. The PC is literally less than 3 linear feet away with no special wall material in between (i.e. sheet rock, plywood, etc.). I expect a BT headphone to be able to operate EASILY within those range parameters.

Are people who are using them with gaming consoles inside cabinets having range problems?

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #1,723 of 5,780
So many options and ways of listening to these! Just set Room Ambience to zero and listened to music in two channel mode in non-3D and the imaging for normal music listening is so much better. And listening to music in 3D stereo mode with 0 Room Ambience sounds much clearer too.

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #1,724 of 5,780
Ok, I have figured out what is wrong with pairing to my PC. My PC is sitting less than 3 feet from where I sit, but it is behind a wall in a closet.

And I have confirmed that if I open the door to the closet and put the Mobius next to the PC, the headphones will pair to the PC. However, once the door is closed, no audio will stream to it. The PC is literally less than 3 linear feet away with no special wall material in between (i.e. sheet rock, plywood, etc.). I expect a BT headphone to be able to operate EASILY within those range parameters.

Are people who are using them with gaming consoles inside cabinets having range problems?

Sounds like the bluetooth transmitter in your pc is weak

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #1,725 of 5,780

Had mine in my bedroom and asked a friend who stopped by to test the Bluetooth strength hooked up to my MacBook Pro. She went from my room all the way outside to my driveway and it stayed connected. That's through a door, down a hallway, past a flight of stairs, and then outside. I was surprised at the strength of the signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back