Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 11, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #1,682 of 5,780
I’d love to see the ability to have a custom EQ preset added to the firmware. It’s got to be possible seeing as they added Warm after the fact. One additional or replace one of the game ones with a “user” that we could configure via the app or via text directly in the firmware file for people comfortable with that if they don’t want to rewrite the app.

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #1,684 of 5,780
Mine just arrived this afternoon.

I'm not sure what the people who are saying 'it will take ages to learn the controls' are talking about; After less than an hour of looking the controls over and exploring the features, I'm confident in using all the features I'll ever want for my use case.

One thing I'm wondering about, when using the Mobius in USB and 7.1 mode attached to my Windows PC, turning my head 90° left of the virtual center, and playing a 5.1 surround sound test, I would expect to hear the rear channels in my left ear, and the front channels in my right ear, however all the sound is coming out of the right cup (front orientation) (aside from reflected sound).

Is there some way of enabling the ''rear speakers" to actually get a surround sound working? Head tracking works just fine also.

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #1,685 of 5,780
Mine just arrived this afternoon.

I'm not sure what the people who are saying 'it will take ages to learn the controls' are talking about; After less than an hour of looking the controls over and exploring the features, I'm confident in using all the features I'll ever want for my use case.

One thing I'm wondering about, when using the Mobius in USB and 7.1 mode attached to my Windows PC, turning my head 90° left of the virtual center, and playing a 5.1 surround sound test, I would expect to hear the rear channels in my left ear, and the front channels in my right ear, however all the sound is coming out of the right cup (front orientation) (aside from reflected sound).

Is there some way of enabling the ''rear speakers" to actually get a surround sound working? Head tracking works just fine also.

Where did you get this surround sound test buddy?

Trick question though, if it's from YouTube, I doubt it's 5.1.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #1,687 of 5,780
Oct 12, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #1,688 of 5,780
I'm not sure ! I'm on my phone.

So you have Netflix? Download windows 10 app (browser version does not have surround sound) and listen to the first 5 min of Hans Zimmer concert

Or just play a game lol

Or you could use windows "test" beeps in the audio settings menu.

If that concert isnt epic, I'm just not sure what is! The trick with the Netflix app worked very well. Further more, I've determined the issue I was having was not the Mobius or the Surround Sound test, but it must actually be an issue with VLC instead.

Thanks for your quick help with that one!

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #1,690 of 5,780
If that concert isnt epic, I'm just not sure what is! The trick with the Netflix app worked very well. Further more, I've determined the issue I was having was not the Mobius or the Surround Sound test, but it must actually be an issue with VLC instead.

Thanks for your quick help with that one!

I know on Mac that VLC does not get the channel mappings right with 7.1.

Oct 12, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #1,691 of 5,780
warm means "bam bam bam"?! won't update firmware then.

????? Why would you choose to not update the firmware just because the new firmware contains a new optional EQ setting that you may not like? If you don't like it, just stick to the other EQ settings and enjoy the other updates in the firmware...

I've noticed a bug that makes the headphones emit basically static and super garbled audio until I change modes. The repro steps go:
-Everything's working, plugged in via USB only
-Change to hi res mode
-Turn off mobius
-Turn off PC
-Turn on PC, boot up, get to desktop, etc
-Turn on mobius

Windows shows that mobius is in high res, BUT when cycling through modes, the next step is "2 Channel" then "High Res" again, skipping 7.1 entirely. So I think one or more components are confused as to what mode it's supposed to be in, hence the messed up sound. I do have the beta firmware update though I'm not sure if that's required. Does anyone else see this?

Also, the voice message for switching to 7.1 is "7.1", 2 channel is "2 Channel", but high res is "...igh res - on" where the 'h' is very noticeable quieter and is also the only mode that the message says 'on.' Just a bit of inconsistency with the voice messages.

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #1,693 of 5,780
????? Why would you choose to not update the firmware just because the new firmware contains a new optional EQ setting that you may not like? If you don't like it, just stick to the other EQ settings and enjoy the other updates in the firmware...

I've noticed a bug that makes the headphones emit basically static and super garbled audio until I change modes. The repro steps go:
-Everything's working, plugged in via USB only
-Change to hi res mode
-Turn off mobius
-Turn off PC
-Turn on PC, boot up, get to desktop, etc
-Turn on mobius

Windows shows that mobius is in high res, BUT when cycling through modes, the next step is "2 Channel" then "High Res" again, skipping 7.1 entirely. So I think one or more components are confused as to what mode it's supposed to be in, hence the messed up sound. I do have the beta firmware update though I'm not sure if that's required. Does anyone else see this?

Also, the voice message for switching to 7.1 is "7.1", 2 channel is "2 Channel", but high res is "...igh res - on" where the 'h' is very noticeable quieter and is also the only mode that the message says 'on.' Just a bit of inconsistency with the voice messages.
Yeah, I got that too. You don't even need to turn the PC off, just turn off the headset and turn it back on. It's a bug where we think it's actually going back to 8 channel mode but the PC is trying to use it in Hi-Res mode.

I've probably put in a couple hundred hours of use by now and, I dunno...I'm still wondering if headphone burn-in is real or not. I can't say for sure if the Mobius changed any (not like that's a bad thing). The Focal Clear pair I got a week ago is sort of a different story but that's another topic...

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #1,694 of 5,780
I can certify that black ops 4 has terrific sound with the mobius.

Directional cues are excellent, explosions are punchy and nice. Footsteps are pretty damn obvious as well (to be honest this is like every COD)

Game is also really nice so far :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back