Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 10, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #1,651 of 5,780
We have seen this happen a few times. Your Mobius should still work fine for head tracking given you have verified the centering works. This is a case of the app unable to get the head-tracking information. It sometimes happens when you switch modes while having the app open.

Few things to try:
1. Unplug Mobius. Power it down.
2. Close App. Disconnect USB. Restart PC.
3. Power on Mobius, connect it to PC, put it in 8ch mode.
4. Make your computer forget Mobius if paired in bluetooth too.
5. Start App.

The App is not needed for Mobius to work in any of the modes. It is useful to set your head size and ambiance.

It worked! Thanks a lot for the quick help!

Oct 10, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #1,652 of 5,780
Ok, so for circumference, you put the tape OVER your ears(practically over the ear canals)...and NOT the widest part of your head? To me, it looks like he is measuring way too low in the back, at least for the circ. :\ Now I get 22.75" instead of 24".

He even says in the video, "circumference = the LONGEST part of your head", but he is measuring way too low... X_X

Set your numbers as 25, 12, 25 (based on a combination of your head measurements and the degree to which I changed my own numbers). Apply and confirm you want to make the change.
Try it out on some surround - there's a link in this thread to a demo video file which will call out front left, front right etc. For the rear speaker call out, turn your head 90 degrees (either direction) to make sure you are getting rear sound in the rear.
Once you are confident that the mobius is delivering surround, feed it some 5.1 or 7.1 audio. A game or a film, doesn't matter.
If you are hearing too much reverb, lower the last of the three numbers (room ambience)

Oct 10, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #1,654 of 5,780
anyone knows how to connect 2 or more bluetooth devices to ONE mobius at the same time please? don't want to disconnect and reconnect back and forth amongst devices all the time. thank you.

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #1,657 of 5,780
Testing beta firmware for Mobius, and I am so happy with the new "Warm" EQ preset. It was exactly what I was hoping to get out of this headphone--a much more exciting, impactful sound. Some music needs a more analytical, laid back sound signature, while other music does really well with a good dose of punch. A+.
This is what’s so exciting about these headphones. Since everything is included they can play around with the presets. I’m pretty excited to try this new mode when the update is released.

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #1,658 of 5,780
Testing beta firmware for Mobius, and I am so happy with the new "Warm" EQ preset. It was exactly what I was hoping to get out of this headphone--a much more exciting, impactful sound. Some music needs a more analytical, laid back sound signature, while other music does really well with a good dose of punch. A+.

I think all music needs a good dose of punch lol. The warm preset adds a bit too much mid bass for me (at least for music), glad a number of people seem to like it though.

I spent a little time with my HD650 tonight and you really notice how good the 3D/soundstage/headtracking is on the Mobius when you stop using it for a bit. It's really amazing how expansive the 3D effect is.

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #1,659 of 5,780
I think all music needs a good dose of punch lol. The warm preset adds a bit too much mid bass for me (at least for music), glad a number of people seem to like it though.

I spent a little time with my HD650 tonight and you really notice how good the 3D/soundstage/headtracking is on the Mobius when you stop using it for a bit. It's really amazing how expansive the 3D effect is.

Yeah I can't wait for the 3d with head tracking off.

That way I can walk around in my house with a giant Soundstage directly inserted into my brain @_@

Im planning on getting a 58x soon. I love how the senns feel in my head, mobius is not a comfort king.... Here's hoping for some after market official pads

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #1,660 of 5,780
That way I can walk around in my house with a giant Soundstage directly inserted into my brain @_@

Would be cool if you could lock the speakers to a point in the room and when you walked away they got distant :O

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #1,661 of 5,780
Would be cool if you could lock the speakers to a point in the room and when you walked away they got distant :O

That's like the one thing the 3d tracking is missing... Other than floor and ceiling virtual speakers like in atmos.

My brain is amazed at having the sound "move with me" but when I tilt my head forward or backwards it kinda breaks the immersion cause there's no associated increase or drop in volume.

I think in order to achieve this they would need an anchor system like in traditional VR so unlikely in mobius 1.0...

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #1,662 of 5,780
That's like the one thing the 3d tracking is missing... Other than floor and ceiling virtual speakers like in atmos.

My brain is amazed at having the sound "move with me" but when I tilt my head forward or backwards it kinda breaks the immersion cause there's no associated increase or drop in volume.

I think in order to achieve this they would need an anchor system like in traditional VR so unlikely in mobius 1.0...

I think Mobius uses accelerometers like a smartphone so it probably could take inputs from the up/down, forward/back combination that you get from a head tilt. Right now though it appears to only be taking input from the forward/back motion that corresponds to a head turn.

I think the hardware is there, just not the software.

Oct 11, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #1,663 of 5,780
My thoughts & feelings on Mobius...

===CONNECTIONS===
USB - No extra background noise above disconnected headphones.
AUX - No extra background noise above disconnected headphones.
AUX+USB - Annoying background buzz. Unuseable.
*Background noise is very low, but noticeable.
*I recommend USB, as Mobius did not handle louder volume well at all with AUX for some reason.
*Only USB 3 worked on my Windows 7 PC, not USB 2.

===SOUND===
A very nicely balanced, full sound. Solid and detailed, without much fatigue. Low-reaching bass, but not much impact. Good clarity, but not exceptional. They are decently spacious sounding in stereo mode. Isolation is good, not great.

===COMFORT===
They are somewhat weighty, with a definite clamp force. I find them moderately uncomfortable. I find the headband uncomfortable. Wearing them beyond ~10 minutes is increasingly annoying.

===3D===
The headtracking was something I didn't want or need, but absolutely worked well in my testing; very neat! I did not bother customizing the head shape or other settings beyond head position centering, and felt the 3D in 2 channel games was a nice experience; there is definitely a directional 'smoothing' effect that makes things much less fatiguing than in a raw stereo environment(with non-angled headphone drivers). The 3D did not seem to provide any additional positional audio advantage, though. I did not notice much difference with the EQ presets(which are only available with 3D). I am confident I can identify audio directions better, in most or all cases, in plain stereo mode, though depth of sound may be improved with 3D.

===CONCLUSION===
For my gaming uses(FPS), these won't be keepers for me, mainly due to discomfort. Using all of the buttons to change settings was easier than I was expecting, but all of those features didn't do anything for me. The sound signature is excellent for music or movies(which I feel is their strength/ideal use), or perhaps more casual games, but certainly not for serious gaming. So far, I'd say I haven't heard anything better than plain stereo in headphones for gaming.

Clamping force was a big problem for me on account of my huge ass head, but I took a tip from another user and used both hands to gently bend the headband outward. hold it for a sec to let the material relax into the slightly wider position or it will just spring back. Repeat in small increments until you find the clamping pressure is just light enough to hold them on your head without sliding off.

Worked wonders for my headaches.

Oct 11, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #1,664 of 5,780
@mab1376 Yes, mine do work with J River. Make sure the Mobius is in 2 channel or Hi Res mode first, start J River and it should see the Mobius as Hi Res Wasapi device in your playback options. In DSP change output to to resample at 48kHz for 2ch and 96kHz for Hires. 7.1 does not work in Wasapi.

Oct 11, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #1,665 of 5,780
I would like to love my Mobius but it has a very noticeable constant background noise. It is very proeminent and I hear it constantly when listening to music at low levels (example: at work or before sleeping)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back