Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 10, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #1,621 of 5,780
So I have had mine for over 3 weeks, sadly I have only used them once.
I have started playing ps4 again and my PS4 is connected to my TV about 15 feet away.
I purchased this cable : https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078B6SBZ3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thinking I can have it plugged and still be ok to game with them. This cable does not work.....
Does anyone know of a long cable that would work on the PS4 tu use it via USB?
And no, I do not want to use the analog on my remote.
Thanks!

Oct 10, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #1,622 of 5,780
So I have had mine for over 3 weeks, sadly I have only used them once.
I have started playing ps4 again and my PS4 is connected to my TV about 15 feet away.
I purchased this cable : https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078B6SBZ3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thinking I can have it plugged and still be ok to game with them. This cable does not work.....
Does anyone know of a long cable that would work on the PS4 tu use it via USB?
And no, I do not want to use the analog on my remote.
Thanks!

I'm using the 10 feet that comes with this set

I use the others to charge my phone...

As far as I can tell it works great. Good volume, once you set it to 2ch mode no issues.

BTW with your 15 feet cable make sure you are on 2 ch mode. It doesn't work in any other moded

Besiva USB C Cable 4 Pack [ 3FT, 6FT, 6FT, 10FT ] USB Type C to USB A Cable Nylon Braided Fast Charger Cord for Samsung Note 8, Galaxy S8/S9, Apple New MacBook, Nexus 6P 5X, Google Pixel, LG G5 G6 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DK3MXNR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ScEVBbHDKMP63

Oct 10, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #1,623 of 5,780
You could extend the "range" with a USB packet repeater like the WYRD but that would mean clutter.

I'm using a 10 foot Volutz USB cable from my PC to the Mobius. Flawless and very well made. In fact the military grade fiber wires helped me dodge the Predator in Wildlands at the last second and finish him with a 360° machine gun sweep attack. They improved the pin point precision of sound cues and the decay quality of soundwaves that bounce of trees, plants and the dead bodies of my comrades.

81vmDplgCqL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #1,624 of 5,780
I'm using the 10 feet that comes with this set

I use the others to charge my phone...

As far as I can tell it works great. Good volume, once you set it to 2ch mode no issues.

BTW with your 15 feet cable make sure you are on 2 ch mode. It doesn't work in any other moded

Besiva USB C Cable 4 Pack [ 3FT, 6FT, 6FT, 10FT ] USB Type C to USB A Cable Nylon Braided Fast Charger Cord for Samsung Note 8, Galaxy S8/S9, Apple New MacBook, Nexus 6P 5X, Google Pixel, LG G5 G6 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DK3MXNR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ScEVBbHDKMP63

and how do you plug it into your ps4?
So I plugged it in with the cable it comes with, works A1, then unplug and replug with my new cable... nothing....
I just don't understand how come.
Do you just get a usbc to usba adapter to work your cable on the ps4?

Thanks

Oct 10, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #1,625 of 5,780
and how do you plug it into your ps4?
So I plugged it in with the cable it comes with, works A1, then unplug and replug with my new cable... nothing....
I just don't understand how come.
Do you just get a usbc to usba adapter to work your cable on the ps4?

Thanks

Oh bro I think you are doing it wrong

1lPlug your headset to the ps4
2) hold down the mic volume wheel for 3 seconds and keep doing it until you hear "2ch channel mode". If you do not hear 2 ch mode you are doing it wrong.

Once you are in two channel mode, hold down the ps button on the dual shock and make sure you have a decent volume on. The volume wheel of the Mobius does not work on the ps4, you have to do it through the ps menu.

And if that fails, the cable I posted has a USB type a end, which goes to the ps4 and a USB type c end That goes to the Mobius

Oct 10, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #1,626 of 5,780
I just did a little experiment with the Mobius and I feel like the virtual soundstage is much larger now. Really enjoying it so far

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-mobius-review-impressions.887808/page-106#post-14528330

Sorry that's the case with you with OOYH, occasionally I have to monkey with sample/bit rates or speaker layout but other then that it works really great and doesnt stress the cpus i use it on(i7 4770k and i3 8350k).

The a16 with its usb and spdif out should be pretty awesome xD

Hey Zen!

Let us know what pads you settle on in your experiment. Or whatever else you’re talking about wrt soundstage. Thanks!

Oct 10, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #1,627 of 5,780
Oh bro I think you are doing it wrong

1lPlug your headset to the ps4
2) hold down the mic volume wheel for 3 seconds and keep doing it until you hear "2ch channel mode". If you do not hear 2 ch mode you are doing it wrong.

Once you are in two channel mode, hold down the ps button on the dual shock and make sure you have a decent volume on. The volume wheel of the Mobius does not work on the ps4, you have to do it through the ps menu.

And if that fails, the cable I posted has a USB type a end, which goes to the ps4 and a USB type c end That goes to the Mobius

sounds just like what I did... is there a difference between my cable and yours?
I'm kind if shocked mine does not work...

Oct 10, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #1,628 of 5,780
Anyone know how to hard reset mobius?

Got mine bout 12 hours ago and still haven't been able to experience virtual 7.1/3d for whatever reason.

My vid shows position jumping by itself... a bit of improvement from the 0.00 I had all afternoon.

Sound profile works, and am happy.. in some way, I missed how closed back phones sound. But am still curious how headtracking is supposed to sound like.

Sent email to cust support but thought someone might know how to hard reset and maybe that's the jumpstart my unit needs.. like how 3D centering fixed left/right output imbalance.

Edit: using usb 3.0 to pc, mobius 8 channel mode (tried ALL audio modes, ALL cables and bluetooth combo to get it going but nada)

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #1,629 of 5,780
Anyone know how to hard reset mobius?

Got mine bout 12 hours ago and still haven't been able to experience virtual 7.1/3d for whatever reason.

My vid shows position jumping by itself... a bit of improvement from the 0.00 I had all afternoon.

Sound profile works, and am happy.. in some way, I missed how closed back phones sound. But am still curious how headtracking is supposed to sound like.

Sent email to cust support but thought someone might know how to hard reset and maybe that's the jumpstart my unit needs.. like how 3D centering fixed left/right output imbalance.

Edit: using usb 3.0 to pc, mobius 8 channel mode (tried ALL audio modes, ALL cables and bluetooth combo to get it going but nada)

We have seen this happen a few times. Your Mobius should still work fine for head tracking given you have verified the centering works. This is a case of the app unable to get the head-tracking information. It sometimes happens when you switch modes while having the app open.

Few things to try:
1. Unplug Mobius. Power it down.
2. Close App. Disconnect USB. Restart PC.
3. Power on Mobius, connect it to PC, put it in 8ch mode.
4. Make your computer forget Mobius if paired in bluetooth too.
5. Start App.

The App is not needed for Mobius to work in any of the modes. It is useful to set your head size and ambiance.

Oct 10, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #1,630 of 5,780
My thoughts & feelings on Mobius...

===CONNECTIONS===
USB - No extra background noise above disconnected headphones.
AUX - No extra background noise above disconnected headphones.
AUX+USB - Annoying background buzz. Unuseable.
*Background noise is very low, but noticeable.
*I recommend USB, as Mobius did not handle louder volume well at all with AUX for some reason.
*Only USB 3 worked on my Windows 7 PC, not USB 2.

===SOUND===
A very nicely balanced, full sound. Solid and detailed, without much fatigue. Low-reaching bass, but not much impact. Good clarity, but not exceptional. They are decently spacious sounding in stereo mode. Isolation is good, not great.

===COMFORT===
They are somewhat weighty, with a definite clamp force. I find them moderately uncomfortable. I find the headband uncomfortable. Wearing them beyond ~10 minutes is increasingly annoying.

===3D===
The headtracking was something I didn't want or need, but absolutely worked well in my testing; very neat! I did not bother customizing the head shape or other settings beyond head position centering, and felt the 3D in 2 channel games was a nice experience; there is definitely a directional 'smoothing' effect that makes things much less fatiguing than in a raw stereo environment(with non-angled headphone drivers). The 3D did not seem to provide any additional positional audio advantage, though. I did not notice much difference with the EQ presets(which are only available with 3D). I am confident I can identify audio directions better, in most or all cases, in plain stereo mode, though depth of sound may be improved with 3D.

===CONCLUSION===
For my gaming uses(FPS), these won't be keepers for me, mainly due to discomfort. Using all of the buttons to change settings was easier than I was expecting, but all of those features didn't do anything for me. The sound signature is excellent for music or movies(which I feel is their strength/ideal use), or perhaps more casual games, but certainly not for serious gaming. So far, I'd say I haven't heard anything better than plain stereo in headphones for gaming.

Oct 10, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #1,631 of 5,780

I did not bother customizing the head shape or other settings beyond head position centering,

This may directly affect your perception of the 3D effect in multi-channel audio. It may be worth spending the two minutes required to set this up correctly for your head in order to hear the 7.1
Though it doesn't sound the same as speakers in a room, the surround is still very effective and you get a solid sense of sound behind you and to the side.

Oct 10, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #1,632 of 5,780
Exact. I did sent you the measurements as PM ( together with my postal address ), I just want to not yet make the measurement public because it's very hard to interpret - or to say it different - it's easy to misinterpret without explanation.

What I can say here, the noise level of my unit is as expected according to the published specs of Mobius:
max sound level >120dB, dynamic range 110dB.

My Mobius is on its way to @KaiSc, who owns a recording studio. So I hear the hiss on mine, he doesn’t. So ideal circumstances to see what his measurements will provide show. Do Moebius headphones differ or not? Am I over sensitive, since I listen with very low volume? Kai will have the answers in a few days.

Oct 10, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #1,633 of 5,780

===CONNECTIONS===
USB - No extra background noise above disconnected headphones.
AUX - No extra background noise above disconnected headphones.
AUX+USB - Annoying background buzz. Unuseable.
*Background noise is very low, but noticeable.
*I recommend USB, as Mobius did not handle louder volume well at all with AUX for some reason.
*Only USB 3 worked on my Windows 7 PC, not USB 2.

===SOUND===
A very nicely balanced, full sound. Solid and detailed, without much fatigue. Low-reaching bass, but not much impact. Good clarity, but not exceptional. They are decently spacious sounding in stereo mode. Isolation is good, not great.

===COMFORT===
They are somewhat weighty, with a definite clamp force. I find them moderately uncomfortable. I find the headband uncomfortable. Wearing them beyond ~10 minutes is increasingly annoying.

===3D===
The headtracking was something I didn't want or need, but absolutely worked well in my testing; very neat! I did not bother customizing the head shape or other settings beyond head position centering, and felt the 3D in 2 channel games was a nice experience; there is definitely a directional 'smoothing' effect that makes things much less fatiguing than in a raw stereo environment(with non-angled headphone drivers). The 3D did not seem to provide any additional positional audio advantage, though. I did not notice much difference with the EQ presets(which are only available with 3D). I am confident I can identify audio directions better, in most or all cases, in plain stereo mode, though depth of sound may be improved with 3D.

===CONCLUSION===
For my gaming uses(FPS), these won't be keepers for me, mainly due to discomfort. Using all of the buttons to change settings was easier than I was expecting, but all of those features didn't do anything for me. The sound signature is excellent for music or movies(which I feel is their strength/ideal use), or perhaps more casual games, but certainly not for serious gaming. So far, I'd say I haven't heard anything better than plain stereo in headphones for gaming.

The presets are available in any mode, 3d on / off, high res, 7.1 , etc . The differences are subtle but they are definitely noticeable after you put in several hours into any modes. Going from warm to default can be a bit jarring lol .
I disagree about the 3d positioning and imaging, it will vary game by game but games like Battlefield1 and Destiny 2 there is a night and day difference between front, rear and sides compared to stereo. Heck I'm gonna say I can identify positions easier in Destiny 2 with the Mobius vs my actual real life 5.1 sound system lol.

If we are talking about CS GO, then yeah I CS GO was clearly designed for stereo headphones first and foremost and the 3d didn't really add that much to me personally. R6S is also another game I didn't find them particularly useful cause they pick up too much random background noise in my experience. I could still get a decent sense of positioning but not really much improved from stereo.

The other big competitve game would be quake champions, which IMHO has just too much crap going for positional cues to be useful other than L vs R .

Then there's the casual side of gaming, like single player games. The Witcher 3 for me was awesooome for me . I think there's definitely potential for more single player atmospheric games, Definitely helped immersion in NMS .

And I definitely agree about the comfort, the clamp is just TIGHT. I'm gonna leave my mobius in a box overnight and see if they loosen up. It's definitely better than before but I dont know if the clamp is looser vs me just getting used to it.

Edit: Also if you want more bass, try the warm mode! (available after firmware update, would need to email audeze@support.com to get it since its still in beta)

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #1,634 of 5,780
sounds just like what I did... is there a difference between my cable and yours?
I'm kind if shocked mine does not work...

I'm still not sure you have tried the mobius in 2 channel mode. Did you CLEARLY hear the voice say "two channel mode" . PS4 USB will only work AFTER you hear that, no matter what cable .

And as for the cable i'm using, im not sure it's rated for "fast charging" so maybe its also powered? im not sure tbh

Oct 10, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #1,635 of 5,780
If u managed to get newer 7.1 or 5.1 sound effects in newer movie, the difference is very noticeable when compared with old movies.

Comfort wise, try thicker pads with more contact area.

It would be stupid for a company to develop products cannalising each other.

Thus, as stated by Audeze support already stated comparison is thief of joy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back