Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 13, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #1,730 of 5,778
Has anyone tried any longer USB-C to A cables? None of my USB3 extension cables work with the Mobius and with the way my PC is setup the stock cable is just long enough.
If the distance is too long(over 10') look for an active cable instead.

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #1,732 of 5,778
What mode? 3D or 2 Channel?

4D. I sit next to him, spritz him with a water bottle, kick his chair, blow in his hair... Immersive.

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #1,733 of 5,778
Richter D sent me his Mobius.
He does hear the hiss, I don't.
I do NOT hear it on his Mobius too.
I measured both and they are, within extremly small margins, identical.
So there is no difference, it's only, he has a more sensitive hearing than I have.

Noise numerically:
Mine (#1 in the plot): L/R 20,0 / 19,6 dB SPL Aeff
Richter D (# 2 in the plot): L/R 20,2 / 20,3 dB SPL Aeff
Neglectable differences, just my right driver is quieter (see plot) which makes for the tiny difference.

Here is the spectrum analysis, and below the frequency response.
As you can see, all the differences in the noise spectra in the 4 cups are reflected in the frequency response, so the electronics are 100% identical.
There are only acoustic driver differences, too small for being responsible for the difference in recepted noise.

Noise spectra A-weighted (Bruel&Kjaer Artificial Ear 4153, 4165 capsule):

Frequency response (Bruel&Kjaer Artificial Ear 4153, 4134 capsule):

Another interesting result: left and right differ in the amount of bass.
This is due to different acoustic properties of the left and right cup construction.
AUDEZE should fix that by a compensating EQ with the next firmware update.

Thanks for running that! Noise spectrum makes sense given what I hear, so that plus the isolation must be doing the trick. It's a bit of a shame since my old PM-3 + MM stack was dead quiet.

Oct 13, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #1,735 of 5,778
Hi. I have a weird thing on a live.

You have Netflix? Search for "Hans Zimmer: Live in Prague". It's a live in 5.1.
Well when I turn my head (in 8ch, 3D manual, well centered) on the left or on the right I sense like I change the "zone", I can't explain it but it's (I hope) obvious when you try and heard the change: face to the screen/live it's ok, turn on the left/right and you feel a weird change.

It's "worst" on the first real theme of the live (10:00); when I turn my head on the left/right I can hear a real hiss on the sides (L or R I can't tell).

I don't have this on movies or other lives I tested.

In fact in general the sound of the live is very bad for my ears. Don't know if it's the live, or the Mobius.

Curious, no?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #1,736 of 5,778
Mobius headphone stand came in today! The packaging is super thin and the base has a nice weightyness to it.

Assembled with an EL-8 Titanium stand-in:

0D667900-D1A1-4833-B035-96A02B2F4969.jpeg

Attachments

• 4DD7866C-1BB0-4CC9-94EE-720AD1B6E7E2.jpeg
    4DD7866C-1BB0-4CC9-94EE-720AD1B6E7E2.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Oct 13, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #1,738 of 5,778
Richter D sent me his Mobius.
He does hear the hiss, I don't.
I do NOT hear it on his Mobius too.
I measured both and they are, within extremly small margins, identical.
So there is no difference, it's only, he has a more sensitive hearing than I have.

Noise numerically:
Mine (#1 in the plot): L/R 20,0 / 19,6 dB SPL Aeff
Richter D (# 2 in the plot): L/R 20,2 / 20,3 dB SPL Aeff
Neglectable differences, just my right driver is quieter (see plot) which makes for the tiny difference.

Here is the spectrum analysis, and below the frequency response.
As you can see, all the differences in the noise spectra in the 4 cups are reflected in the frequency response, so the electronics are 100% identical.
There are only acoustic driver differences, too small for being responsible for the difference in recepted noise.

Noise spectra A-weighted (Bruel&Kjaer Artificial Ear 4153, 4165 capsule):

Frequency response (Bruel&Kjaer Artificial Ear 4153, 4134 capsule):

Another interesting result: left and right differ in the amount of bass.
This is due to different acoustic properties of the left and right cup construction.
AUDEZE should fix that by a compensating EQ with the next firmware update.
For those who want more detailed explanations on the measurements please look here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pol...or-do-you-hear-it.890462/page-2#post-14537553

Oct 14, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #1,739 of 5,778
Oct 15, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #1,740 of 5,778
Hoping someone can help clear up a few details for me with regards to the sound modes:

Aside from handling 96k instead of 48k Audio Sample Rates, is there any other difference between Hi-Res and 7.1 with 3D switched off?
Is there any reason to use Hi-Res mode if the audio file is 48k or less?

-----

https://www.audeze.com/about-audeze/blog/mobius-detailed-usb-functionality

"
USB Modes:

1. 8 Channel Input (Playback) - 2 Channel Output (Mic), 24 Bit/48 Khz, 3D Emulation and Head-Tracking enabled.
  2. 2 Channel Input (Playback) - 2 Channel Output (Mic), 16 Bit/48 Khz, 3D Emulation and Head-Tracking enabled.
  3. 2 Channel Hi-Res Input (Playback) - 2 Channel Output (Mic), 24 Bit/96 Khz, 3D Emulation enabled, Head-Tracking disabled.
"
It's suggested here that Hi-Res supports 3D emulation with no Head-Tracking. Has anyone managed to find out how to make this work? In my experience, Hi-Res is a very nice sounding stereo headphone, but I can't notice any 3D emulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back